Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is a story from Monday on the local news, check it out so you know what not to do in case a tornado is heading your way:

http://www.kolnkgin.com/news/headlines/41798052.html

Like a car wash would have done him any good. Worst thing is the fool endangered his kids to try and save his stupid pick-up.:mad:

I know I chase the dang things, but I go from the backside with doppler radar to watch, plus always have an escape plan and would not ever even think about it with Lexie, Lemol or Rowdy with me or any other person who was not willing and understood the risks.

If he'd of even listened to the radio he'd a know a tornado of unknown power was headed right for him. Every local station was on emergency mode with reports.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What a srmufin' moron!! He wanted to save his freaking pickup so he drives out into a tornado with all four kids inside?!?!? :mad: If I was his wife, I'd be using what's left of that tree to brain the asshat!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a srmufin' moron!! He wanted to save his freaking pickup so he drives out into a tornado with all four kids inside?!?!? :mad: If I was his wife, I'd be using what's left of that tree to brain the asshat!
She can't be much smarter or why would she have bred with him.;) I'm hoping someone from CPS see's it and raises hell.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
What a brainless effwit. :mad: I hope his wife divorces him & takes the kids as far away as possible from him. :mad:

"I think I'll take storms more seriously, now that I know what they can do ," he said.
So the idiot has never seen news footage of tornadoes? What planet has he been living on?

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He must not be from around here or slept through class. He still don't know what one will do, it was classed as a F-0 or weak F-1, a good one would have picked up that pick-up and slammed it down, most likely on it's roof.

It skipped and lifted several times, further on it turned over 57 empty coal cars out of the middle of a train, it had built up a bit bythen.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Confession: When our commty was hit w/a tornado back in 1994 or so, I opened our bedroom window to look at it.

Of course, I didn't KNOW it was a tornado at the time.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Quote: Steiner's wife had called from Lincoln, alerting him of the storm and being his garage was full, Steiner hoped to find shelter at the carwash for his truck so he loaded up the kids and headed just a few blocks from their house, but they didn't get their quick enough.

Spell Fail. It amazes me when supposed professionals cannot get it right.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
What to do for an approaching tornado

Let's hope that guy was new to the area and unfamiliar with tornados. Otherwise, he's a candidate for the "Darwin Award."

Tornado Safety Rules (from NOAA)

We can do little to prevent a tornado from occurring, but by knowing the safety rules, we can minimize the number of deaths and injuries.

A tornado watch means that tornado development is possible. Keep a watchful eye on the sky for threatening weather and stay tuned to radio and television and listen for weather bulletins.

A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted or indicated by radar. Persons in the path of the storm should seek shelter immediately, preferably in a storm cellar, underground excavation, or in a steel-framed or concrete reinforced building.

In homes, the basement offers the greatest safety. Seek shelter under sturdy furniture, if possible.

In homes without basements , take cover in the center part of the house, on the lowest floor, in a small room such as a closet or bathroom, or under sturdy furniture.

Stay away from windows.

In schools, hospitals, and shopping centers, move to pre-designated shelter areas. Interior hallways on lowest floors are best. If the building is not of reinforced construction, go to a nearby one that is, or take cover outside on low, protected ground. Stay out of auditoriums, gymnasiums, and other structures with wide free-span roofs.

In open country, move away from the tornado/s path at right angles. If there is not time to escape, lie flat in the nearest ditch or ravine.

In your car, do not try to outrun a tornado. If available, take shelter in a sturdy structure. Otherwise, get in the nearest ditch or depression until the tornado passes.

Mobile homes are particularly vulnerable to overturning during strong winds and should be evacuated when strong winds or tornadoes are forecast. Damage can be minimized by securing trailers with cables anchored in concrete footing. Trailer parks should have community storm shelters. If there is no shelter nearby, leave the trailer park and take cover on low-protected ground.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I didn't read the article but I was wondering, do you still crack the house windows when their is a tornado warning? I grew up in Kansas and I remember my mom frantically running through the house opening all the windows.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I heard a storm chaser on the radio and they said no to do that anymore. You are just wasting time that you could be using to get to saftey.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard a storm chaser on the radio and they said no to do that anymore. You are just wasting time that you could be using to get to saftey.

Yep and if it hits while you are opening them you could end up with a lot of glass in your body.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Confession: When our commty was hit w/a tornado back in 1994 or so, I opened our bedroom window to look at it.

Of course, I didn't KNOW it was a tornado at the time.
I'm a gawker...I'll admit it. I love storms, then again it's just my safety I'm risking.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a gawker...I'll admit it. I love storms, then again it's just my safety I'm risking.
Yep, like me, but my kids are grown and Rita checked it out, my life insurance pays out even if I'm chasing one, don't for sky diving or car racing.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts