Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all those things I read about treats with chemicals and all that unhealthy ingredients I don't buy any treats anymore.

For training I use kibble.

What do you use for training treats?

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Kibble or fruit or veg. If I have time I make rice crackers. I used to make liver treats but Erns can't have meat so don't anymore.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you make the liver treats?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I tried without a Dehyrdator machine - waste of time as they didn't turn out!

You can buy them, they are the only treats I use - one ingredient! Liver! As with anything just check which company you buy from. Other than liver treats I just use kibble.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried without a Dehyrdator machine - waste of time as they didn't turn out!

You can buy them, they are the only treats I use - one ingredient!
Easy for you to say :) I never saw liver treats on local pet stores. I found one but it wasn't only liver! Ouff

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
During actual training sessions, I've been using chicken or turkey hotdogs. When we do rally, Caleb "gets paid" when he's back in his crate after we've finished the course. I use something special than, and not always the same thing. Most of the time I use pieces of home made treats. I need to make more, tho, so lately it's been either a duck breast or bacon chew or a piece of celery.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Here's something I make for my dogs. I usually break it up into small pieces and freeze them in several sandwiches bags. Then just get one out to use it. I got the recipe on this board. I can't remember who posted it but it is one that is so easy and I feel good knowing what's in the treats.

Raw liver 1 container or 1 lb with juice

2 eggs

1 tsp garlic powder

3 cups of quick cooking oats

Put the first three ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix well. Pour into a large bowl add the oats a cup at a time, stirring carefully after each cup. spread the mixture on a large 10 x 15 greased cookie sheet with a rubber spatula or wet your hands with water and spread. it should be a quarter to a half inch thick bake at 250 degrees for 30 - 45 min. Remove from the oven cut in half or fourths and loosen with a rigid spatula turnover and bake another 15 min. remove from the oven. Let it cool and break into chunks it must be refrigerated and can be frozen

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I used to make liver treats, a receipe similar to the above, but had flour I think instead of oats. Now I usually use hot dogs chopped up and nukes, or string cheese. Sometimes I use steak that has been braised in garlic butter and a red wine sauce (more of those treats go down my mouth than the dog's however!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hot dogs or carrots seem to work best.

Wellness made some salmon & venison treats that also worked well.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I used to make the recipe Jeanne made. Can add tuna or salmon.

Ones I made most of the time were dried liver. I cut the liver very thinly across the liver. Lay if on wire oven racks and cook about 100C or bit less(not sureF ).Cook until dried. Usually about 8 hours if I remeber. Makes the house a bit stinky,when they first start cooking.Dogs love them and last for ages.

If you are like me and hate the feel or smell of it I use gloves and knife and fork to cut it.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I used to cut hot dogs into really tiny pieces and microwave them until hard.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to cut hot dogs into really tiny pieces and microwave them until hard.
hmm.. That's an easy one.. Although I do not have a micro wave, but I can grill them or put them in the oven ..I guess!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts