Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we have mostly carpet on our main floor which badly needs replacing.

Any suggestions as to what kind of flooring holds up best with labs?
We are thinking of either hardwood, ceramic tiles, laminates or engineered hardwood.
For those with hardwood, how has it held up? Do the dogs slip all over the place? Do they scratch the finish badly?
This is a big investment for us, so I am looking for the opinions of you guys to guide us as to which ones are the most suitable for chasing around the house, butt tucking, playing bitty face etc.

Pat

·
Registered
339 Posts
We put in laminate. I am on the fence about recomending it though because of the slip factor. They really do slip a lot on it. They don't have this problem on the ceramic tile. They don't scratch it up though, so don't worry about that.

Although I have to say, it's much easier to keep the dog hair picked up on hard floors versus carpet. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
we have laminate and the dogs don't leave any marks on it at all and their nails get quite long sometimes. it's also easy cleanup with my swiffer wetjet. we did put down nice runners so the dogs have some kind of grip. i love my laminate floors, they look just like the real hardwood flooring.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Roxy said:
We put in laminate. I am on the fence about recomending it though because of the slip factor. They really do slip a lot on it. They don't have this problem on the ceramic tile. They don't scratch it up though, so don't worry about that.

Although I have to say, it's much easier to keep the dog hair picked up on hard floors versus carpet. Good luck whatever you decide.
Yeah, I have hardwood. Easy to clean, but I was hedging about recommending it because of the slip factor.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Just put hardwoods (maple) flooring in our bedroom, no rugs at all..in our great room..it has solid oak flooring, but we have two large oriental type carpets, one under the dining room table..and one for the living room area. The other two bedrooms still have carpet. Yes they do slip on the floors..so we're trying to train them to walk a bit slower..not get all hyper and making mad dashes all over the place. I am very concerned that they might injure themselves..they're learning the floors are slippery tho..so hopefully all will be well.
Jackie

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
We have ceramic tile thru most of the house. Murray slips and slides so he is very cautious about walking (he will go out of his way to walk on the edge of the rugs ;D ). Essy has no issue. She has better balance than Murray, does not seem to slip as much as Murray, and she has learned how to do controlled slides (looks like she is on ice skates) when she is tearing around the house.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We have hardwood. Mar slips sometimes. Overall it is best because it is easy to clean and sweep up dog hair from. The only drawback if you are going to spend lots of money on hardwood is to be careful... I don't know how old your dog is, but Mar is still a puppy and sometimes if a toy or something goes under the bed or the couch he scratches to get it. We have a few marks on the hardwood now because of this. I would much rather have hardwood than carpet with a dog - hands down.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mischasmom said:
Right now we have mostly carpet on our main floor which badly needs replacing.

Any suggestions as to what kind of flooring holds up best with labs?
We are thinking of either hardwood, ceramic tiles, laminates or engineered hardwood.
For those with hardwood, how has it held up? Do the dogs slip all over the place? Do they scratch the finish badly?
This is a big investment for us, so I am looking for the opinions of you guys to guide us as to which ones are the most suitable for chasing around the house, butt tucking, playing bitty face etc.

Pat
We just got new flooring up and downstairs. We got new carpet up, but downstairs we got a really good laminate and aside from the sliding factor it is indestructable!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have carpet (~1800 sq ft except bathrooms) and ceramic tile (~800 sq ft) thru the kitchen/dining/hall ways. It accumulates dog hair quite conveniently so that my hoover quick broom (electric bagless) sucks it up nicely. Slippery, yes... but I put rubber backed rugs on my carpetted stairway landings so they don't slip there. I do not allow horseplay (dogplay?) in the house. Out the door they go to the yard/field if they want to act like idiots! ;D I work from my house, and have 6 Labs, so that is just not acceptable. -Anne

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would not recommend hardwood floors. We have them throughout our house and really wish we would have gone with ceramic tile. our wood floors are all scratched up. we now have area rugs all over the place to protect them as much as possible

·
Registered
501 Posts
We have slate and I LOVE It.

Paulie is the six million dollar dog with a hip replacement, knee surgery, elbow surgery, etc, etc and once you spend that kind of $ on a dog you don't want to jepordize your investment by making him walk on slippery floors - so we went with slate.

It has a texture and it handles water drips and spills well. The dogs love it because it's cool and in Texas that's very important. We're also putting in a pool in the next year and we wanted something that people could walk in on with wet feet and not slip or make me crazy.

Anyway - we really are enjoying it.

We do have hardwoods in the bedroom but we put in the kind that already looks distressed since we knew that the dogs would eventually put scratches in it. We also have an large are arug down in the bedroom just to make sure Paulie doesn't slip on it.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think carpet is probably better for those who don't want scratched wooden floors. The only problem with light colored carpets is that the fur is REALLY noticeable. One round of bitey face with the dogs rolling all over and the carpet is black. Stains are also a problem with carpet -- accidents (poop, pee, sick, etc.) are harder to get up.

We have hardwood flooring throughout our house minus the landing upstairs and the slate tiles in the kitchen. I'm not going to deny that the floors haven't been scratched -- they have -- but you only notice it if you look hard. In terms of maintenance I much prefer hard floors.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have carpet, tile and bamboo flooring. Love the bamboo but we are having an issue with it scratching. The flooring people told me it should be great with the dogs - it isn't. It is already showing lots of scratches! I love the ease of cleaning both the tile and wood though. My dogs actually slip more on the tile than the wood but both love to play slip and slide and will actually intentionally run with we feet on the tile to slid. They are easily amused. When I get ready to replace carpet I am going to go with a color that the dog hair blends with (LOL).

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have every conceivable flooring in my house,ceramic, solid hardwoods, laminate and engineered hardwoods. Ceramic is the best for wear and tear but can be cold on the feet. I like the warmth and look of solid hardwoods but they can and will scratch with labs(scratches are character, not flaws ;) Once you get over the first few scratches you're okay . Solid hardwoods are refinishable, yippee. I have laminate in the kitchen and this stuff is easy to clean and nice underfoot. I don't personally care for the look as much as other flooring.I have engineered hardwoods in the upastairs low traffic areas, it's nice, but I installed it this winter and it hasn't been through the torture test very long. I have no wall to wall carpet anywhere but beaucoup area rugs. Wool is my choice in rugs but a b*tch to keep clean. we are pretty tough on flooring and so far I am happy with all of it.

Hard surface floors are much easier to rid of pet hair....Just open a door, fire up the leaf blower and voila hair is gone!

Stained and colored concrete is the best choice if you have dogs.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have hardwood, laminate, ceramic and carpet and over all with dogs I prefer the laminate-- hard wood is full of stratches, capert gets dirty too easy.. Just don't put laminate on the stairs WAY to slipper

·
Registered
339 Posts
yeah, from reading these responses if I had to do it over I'd do stained concrete or slate. (thats what I originally wanted, but couldn't afford it at the time)

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have laminate and hardwoods in our home....no wall to wall carpeting left at all!! One season with fleas and that was gone! ;) I prefer the way the laminate floors have held up to the dog....no scratches! The hardwoods do not hold up as well (our floors are about 70 years old too!), but I do prefer the look of the natural wood.

Although the laminate floors hold up great with the dog, I have found that it does not hold up all that well to dropping a 12 inch cast iron skillet on it!! But I am glad that my husband did not let me get the ceramic tile floor...they look great, but I would have a lot more damage than a 1 inch ding if I dropped that skillet on ceramic! :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts