Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering because I had one ordered but it was on back order for 2 months so I just cancelled the order. I am going to the Pet Shop today to look at the different ones.

Right now Tater has a metal crate. I am starting to not like it so much anymore. I used comet to clean it a week ago and I think the pan is starting to rust now. This crate was used by Cody's parents when their lab was young and his sister used it for her dog and now we have it. So yeah it has some years on it for sure. It just saved us from buying one at the time.

Anyways I was thinking of the hard plastic kind. That way when he sleeps with us it wont make the metal on metal noise which I hate. Drives me crazy and goose bumps up my arms. Anyone got some suggestions?? And what size do you recommend?

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have one that looks like this

http://www.doghouses.com/dog-crates-and-kennels/crates/products.cfm?action=view&key=MH043

Its huge, but works for Hobart. It came with a divider and we used a smaller one when he was younger. It has a plastic tray that can slide in and out for easy cleaning. It has 2 door (one side and one on the front). We keep it in our bedroom and put his bed in it at night and a blanket over it, but when he is home during the day when we are at work we take everything out and off of it and he gets his kong. Its worked well for us and itsnt too noisey when he walks around, especially with the bed in it.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That what we have now but the pan on the bottom is metal too. SO it makes lots of noise. Maybe when I go looking I will see if I can find a plastic pan for the bottom and see if they works.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
What about just replacing the pan? Mine is also a metal cage type but it came with a plastic pan. I got a crate pad also since he dosent chew it to bits!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have the plactic pan and it doesnt seem very quiet to me. But I put a pad down so I dont notice it very much. Plus he is only on the crate while I am at work.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Why do you need a pan anyway? I took ours out the day we bought it. He's got a crate bed that covers the entire bottom so it's not like he's laying on the slats on the bottom.

I'd stick with metal, especially if he's a chewer.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
i have the wire crate with the metal pan.

but i also have a soft crate that i use for nights that gabs and i crash other places (like the bf's house, the lake house, camping) or for shows

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
While my kids sleep in an ex-pen, when I do use a crate (in the car for example) I have one of the vari-kennel plastic ones. I like them a lot, and prefer them to the metal ones if I do not have to lug them around a lot. I too, find the noise of the metal crates very annoying and went to soft crates for most of my traveling needs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tater had a pan cover bed thing and he ate it. He isnt a chewer only with his toys. But then again he has never been alone long enough to try and chew on anything besides his toys. I looked today at the big plastic ones and they were 145 for the size I would want. So Cody and I are going to talk tonight and see if we want to get it or just wait and see.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Barnsley has the X-Large plastic kind. He is a chewer but has never touched his crate. I don't think there is much to get his teeth on in there. However, they are not noise proof as the door makes noise if they bump against it.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Belles mom said:
While my kids sleep in an ex-pen, when I do use a crate (in the car for example) I have one of the vari-kennel plastic ones. I like them a lot, and prefer them to the metal ones if I do not have to lug them around a lot. I too, find the noise of the metal crates very annoying and went to soft crates for most of my traveling needs.
Same here. Although, until around Chrismas, Caleb was in a Midwest Ultima wire crate (the one with 3 doors and a divider). Now he's in an Xpen when we're not home and at night. The Vari Kennel is used in the van (#400). Depending on how my back is feeling, I either set up a General Cage 206 wire crate in the back of the truck, or just put the Vari Kennel there when Caleb goes to school with me (he rides in the front of the truck, but stays in the back until I'm done).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is a XPEN? Is this something we could put in the kitchen for him at night instead of being in the crate? Is this something he can knock down?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have metal, plastic and soft crates. When I'm gone, they're in metal. When in the car, they're in metal. The girls have plastic crates in my room for when they're in season. Soft crates are for shows/trials. My preference, and I think theirs, is the metal. They get the best air flow and the least amount to damageby chewing (my girls are chewers). I too can't stand the noise of the crate pan so I've cut stall mats to size for the crates in the car. It stops the noise and adds a little support, without giving them anything to destroy ;)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Metal at home and in car, Soft-sided for shows.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Tater said:
That way when he sleeps with us it wont make the metal on metal noise which I hate.
Tater said:
Is this something we could put in the kitchen for him at night instead of being in the crate?

Is he sleeping in your room or the kitchen? I'm confused - you want a quiet crate for your room, or something bigger for the kitchen?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The best 'crate' I ever had is the hallway between the bedroom and bathroom. Apollo goes in there at night and we block him in with a plank of wood thats like 3 feet tall. I tried a crate, but Apollo had issues with it and kept peeing in it and whining. When we went with the hallway at night we haven't had a single problem.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Here's a link to a page on ex pens.

http://www.activek9.com/midwest-dog-exercise-pen.html

They make tops for them now, so they are less apt to tip over or collapse. My dogs have never jumped up on the sides, pushed them around or anyhing like that. But they are very good about whatever kind of containment I have them in. Each dog has their own ex pen, so they do not get into 'rumbles' with each other.

If there is a corner you can put the pen in, it does provide more stability. Another option is to bungie cord them to hooks in the wall and that way they can not be pushed around or pushed over.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have the plastic Vari Kennel that we used for Shadow. We actually used it as an end table in the living room.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts