Just Labradors banner

What it is with me and Beagles????

404 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  einstein's legacy 
#1 ·
A 1 y.o. male beagle needs a home...cutest thing in the world. Wife doesn't want the dog, husband adores the dog, kids are grown and not around for the dog. Mr. Beagle poops and pees on a wee wee pad (ugh that's gross IMO) since no one is home for most of the day and the husband doesn't want to crate him for so many hours. Owners live too close by for me to take him, I fear they'd be here all the time making me crazy.

BTW...how do beagles and labs get along?? Are beagles stubborn and hard to train? Are they loving? Not that I'm thinking of taking him or anything?? ::)

#2 ·
BTW...how do beagles and labs get along??
I think Nance and Paula can answer that best. I had a beagle when I was younger. He was a bit stubborn but very very smart and very very loving too. As far as the owners go, sounds like the wife won't be a problem. It might be worth a try.

#7 ·
Beagles and Labs: Nice combination. Both smart, both affectionate, both family oriented.

Beagles are S-T-U-B-B-O-R-N. Oh, they learn new things quick as lightning and they're just as quick at being selective about when they wish to carry out that newly learned skill/behaviour.

They really can be a tough nut to crack as far as training. You just have to be three paces ahead of their creative little brains. Meg was more difficult than Darwin, but once you have established YOU ARE THE BOSS they begin to fall in line.

Just a reminder: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER let a beagle off-leash in an uncontained area unless they are competing in trials. If you think you might try it "just once" to see how their recall is, forget it. The risk of them catching a scent and running off is far too great. No matter how well obedience-trained, once that beagle nose catches wind of something they like those big ears of theirs go totally deaf to your calls.

The are scrupulously clean in the personal habits and often spend much time grooming one another. They will check out the Labs, too. "Hm... ear needs some attention here... that paw could use some licking." Very low grooming maintenance, the beagle.

Oh... one more thing... they do do do love to cuddle under the blankets with their humans at bedtime. :)

#9 ·
Ditto to everything they already said!!! ;D

They are great dogs though. Jasmine was a lab/beagle mix so she
had both worlds in her. She acted more beagle though. She was
VERY loving and always wanting attention. And definitely can't leave
them off leash. The few times Jasmine got out our gate and took
off, it was almost impossible to catch her.

#11 ·
einsteins legacy said:
So what I'm hearing is that they follow their noses!! Uh...exactly how much room between the bottom of a fence and the ground (dirt or concrete) do they need to escape??
Not much. They will dig their way out if they are determined to do so. We have rebar every 12" along our RHG fenceline to secure it. It makes it a little more difficult for Meg to move the fence to create wiggle room. She tries it constantly and it worries me but no escapes in 1-1/2 years *touch wood*.

You can lay chicken mesh at the base of your fenceline to discourage digging. The grass will grow through it and eventually you won't see the mesh but a beagle paw will know it doesn't feel nice digging on it.

#12 ·
As much as I love beagles, their eyes just do something to my heart, I don't think my home would be safe...I live on a MAJOR roadway, Max was a runner and my heart has fallen one too many times...my biggest fear is finding a seriously injured and suffering dog on the road. I'll have to find this handsome boy a better home on a quieter street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.