Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your level of preparedness?

In case of natural disaster……or social unrest……..or whatever.

I have a “get home bag” in the truck…..although after a little research I see it is pretty minimal.

I don’t have a BOB, (bug out bag) or as it is sometimes called a go bag or a good bag….(Get Out Of Dodge)

We don’t have much of a supply of food…….I do have a lot of maple syrup so I guess we’ll have to eat that. And dog food…..that is a hard one to store too much of….sometimes I have enough for a couple weeks…..other times only enough for a day.

Of course I have enough guns and ammo but I find that one of the less important things……personally. (although fun)

The red cross has some good info on disaster preparedness as well as things like……..prescription drugs, diapers, extra glasses or contacts etc. They also have good info on making copies of all your important documents like account numbers, birth certs, phone numbers, passports and put them in your BOB…….and others suggest scanning them and putting them on a flash drive as well. If you have to leave your house and it is destroyed like in a fire or flood or whatever you’ll need that info.

So I have decided to upgrade my get home bag………and if MJ doesn’t think I am turning into a crazy person maybe put together a BOB for both of us.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Food is not a problem we always keep plenty of can goods on hand. Figure in an emergency Cinnamon will eat what we eat. We always keep propane and camp stove. Plus freezer has 2 gallon jugs of frozen water for the big ice chest. And we usually have 20 to 30 gallons of water on hand as we have a water cooler.

Copies of important documents in safe deposit box, at flash drive in can with the papers as it is part of our grab and go and at my BR in Montreal. We also have a video of the house contents and all serial numbers were recorded on it of expensive items. Plus they are in my lap top which is on the grab and go list.

We always have at least a months worth of most important drugs on hand for mom and dad as they fill them every 90 days. We can refill them with 3 weeks to go so we have built up the extra month. I don't have any.

We also have 2 large tents that don't take up a lot of space plus a crate that collaspes for Cinnamon as they don't allow dogs inside most shelters. We have friends that live 90 miles away that we would go to and them to us in case of an evacuation so sleeping in tents are unlikely.

We could be packed and out of the house in under 1/2 hour. Plus natural disaster not much of a problem here in desert part of AZ and we are not in a flood plain. Worst would be a chemical spill or wide spread fire. As most houses are made of block in our neighborhood that is not much of a worry.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I'd probably be SOL. I could get out of the house by grabbing things pretty quick, as I am pretty organized in where I keep things but as far as having food, water, documents on flash drives, clothing ready to go and extra dog food. Nope...we'd be asking for handouts pretty quick. I'd have to swing to the Kroger on the way out. LOL

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
On a scale of 1 - 10? Zero.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As i spend alot of time in the great outdoors here in Idaho my hunting pack has a 3 day survival kit along with a shelter and fire making supplies.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I'd have to swing to the Kroger on the way out. LOL
I would have to swing by the grocery store, ATM, and gas station.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
We have Halloween candy and Girl Scout cookies left over from last year. I was going to buy some ammo Friday before the storm hit, but by the time I got to the store they were sold out. Oh, we also have a tent, wind up radio and a blow gun.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Swiss Army knife, Honda portable generator, tents, sleeping bags, first aid kit, jugs of water, good supply of dog food. My Lipitor 10 mg. q.d. isn't that essential.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I have most of the necessary items that would be needed, but the problem would be rounding them up in a hurry. When we were stationed at Hickam Air Force Base I had Mormons live on either side of me. Wow were they ever prepared. I became good friends with the one neighbor and she worked on me how important it is to have food, water and supplies ready. I did well for a while but over time gave up.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have most of the necessary items that would be needed, but the problem would be rounding them up in a hurry. When we were stationed at Hickam Air Force Base I had Mormons live on either side of me. Wow were they ever prepared. I became good friends with the one neighbor and she worked on me how important it is to have food, water and supplies ready. I did well for a while but over time gave up.
That's not the first time someone has said Mormans they knew were prepared for disasters.......I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
As N.Z. is on a fault line we are taught from day one to be prepared. I used to keep bottles of water which needed to be changed etc, but with Ernies pool don't do that.

We always know where candles, batteries, radio, can openers, etc are and have a medical kit. Ourtdoror bbq gas bottle should he always filled, and second one checked, but we get lazy with this. We have a fire for heat and cooking if need be. Enough to last the recommended 3 days.
Important documents and jewlerry are either in the bank or special container.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
We have a complete earthquake kit, although it's two years old now and needs to be replaced. Contains our backpacking gear and ten days' worth of provisions and fresh water, and pet food. Our neighborhood has an emergency cache--a trailer with FEMA-type emergency supplies, generator radios, etc. We have block captains and a disaster protocol, since The Big One is coming and it would be idiotic to pretend otherwise.

I'm working on a private cache of small arms, methamphetamine, gold bullion, and other objects that might become valuable in any post-apocalyptic scenario. But so far all I have is a box of sudafed and a Swiss army knife.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I'm working on a private cache of small arms, methamphetamine, gold bullion, and other objects that might become valuable in any post-apocalyptic scenario. But so far all I have is a box of sudafed and a Swiss army knife.
Talk to me when you move to Nashville. I've been scoping this place back home that has some gold.

*Edit:

My bad, I've just been informed that Krogers carries chicken bullion. Reading has never been my forte [sic].

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
This is on my to do list. I do have copies of driver's liscenses, cc cards passport, etc, but they're locked in the safe. If there was a fire I wouldn't have time to get them out.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have a fire-proof box with some important documents in it and a bunch of old coins. I keep telling Bill we need ALL the important papers in there, stick the **** coins in the freezer. Should scan the drivers' licenses, etc., and put on flash drive in the fire-proof box, too, as well as taking video of what is in the house.

We're trying to always be a month ahead on food for the boys, just keep rotating the bags. Have tons of canned goods, hand can openers, some meds. It's hard to get a months' worth for backup because the insurance won't let you refill early. :( Need to start storing water and other necessities. The generator is on a wheeled base, can be portable.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Need to do more, but for now I have a briefcase with my best revolvor, (the one I'm damned good with) 200 rounds of ammo, strike-anywhere kitchen matches, a sharpening stone, extra knife, but I'll have 2 more if I remember my pants. Spare bulbs and batteries for the 6 cell mag light that sits by it. Pick-up has a winter kit behind the seat including a sealed package with 4 rolls of crappin' paper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts