Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have gone down to 1/2 time, the company is taking my cell phone away from me. So I will have to get one of my own. I rarely use it, (so far may be 30-60 minute a year). That's not to say i wouldn't use it more...may be...)

What is your advice?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Do you really mean 30-60 minutes a year, or did you mean a month? If you use it that rarely, I'd go prepaid rather than a contract.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you really mean 30-60 minutes a year, or did you mean a month? If you use it that rarely, I'd go prepaid rather than a contract.
Ya, a year.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Melissa has a valid point. If you are using so infrequently, pre-paid might be the way to go. The only disadvantage to that is remembering to reload it & what happens if you have forgotten to reload & it does not work when you really need it to.

I am with Verizon Wireless, have been since I got my first cell phone. I love their service, rarely if ever do I have dead spots when calls just disappear. Also love their phone choices. I've heard others say, Verizon has some of the best phones.

Conversaly, my neighbor has T-Mobile & she hates it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Seriously, that's all you use? I wouldn't bother getting one at all then. Unless you have a lot of friends/family that have Verizon where all calls are free. I definitely wouldn't go with a prepaid, you'll be stuck buying minutes every other month, even if you don't use them - which you won't.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh, as far as the prepaid goes - my MIL had trackfone and she had to reload minutes every 30 days, or maybe it was 60, I forget. Anyway, she never used it, but had to buy the minutes anyway. By the time she finally got a regular cellphone, she had thousands of unused but paid for minutes. :eek:

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
30-60 minutes a year? Holy cow, I average more than that per day. :) I bought a Verizon pre-paid phone for my grandpa for Christmas. If you buy $100 worth of pre-paid minutes, they are good for a year.

I have had Verizon since before it was Verizon (in this area), and have always had great service. I used to travel a lot for work, and never had any problem getting service.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a tracfone because I rarely use it. Just have it for barn or on the road emergencies. You can get a tracfone plan that automatically gives you a month at a time with no extra minutes for $6.00 a month. It's worked well for me.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Well it's been 8 years since my MIL had the tracfone, so I guess they changed their plan! :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have T-Mobile prepaid. When you hit $100 in reloads, they don't expire for a year, otherwise 2 months. I had Verizon prepaid before, but they switched how they do things and charge you a $.99 daily activation fee, whether you use the phone on not, uses up your $$ and you end up with less. I've had T-mobile for 3 years and so far, no problems.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I have Verizon with a Blackberry Storm. I like Verizon and never find dead zones with the phone. However, I have found dead zones with the 3G network. Cambridge, Ontario for one. I could text and call, I just couldn't get email or surf the net on the BB there.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm like you, rarely use my phone. I went with www.consumercellular.com. They use the satellites from all the major players. No contracts and you can change your plan at any time. If you decide it use them, let me know and give me your email address....we both get $10 referral credit on our next bill.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Talk to your family and friends find out if they have a family plan they can add you to.

Like you I use my phone about 60 minutes a year. So my BR & SIL added me to their plan. It is $12 a month on Altell. As the people I call most are in the 5 free friends and family those minutes don't count.

In fact they have me, my mum and they gave our nephew a phone for his birthday (not their son). I think they pay $75 a month and both of them have a phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts