·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CBC News - World - 2 held after dead Chinese babies found in river

2 held after dead Chinese babies found in river
Last Updated: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 | 9:21 AM ET Comments0Recommend4
The Associated Press

An officer from the local health bureau carries dumped dead babies found in a river on the outskirts of Jining, Shandong province. (Reuters)Chinese police have detained two hospital workers after the bodies of 21 babies washed ashore on a river bank in eastern China.

Local residents and firefighters recovered the bodies Monday after they were discovered under a bridge spanning the Guangfu River on the outskirts of Jining in Shandong province.

Eight of the babies still had hospital identification tags on their wrists or ankles and investigators used the tags to trace the bodies back to the Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical University, reported the Chinese news agency, Xinhua.

Hospital mortuary workers Zhu Zhenyu and Wang Zhijun were fired and taken away by police, Xinhua said, citing Jining government spokesman Gong Zhenhua.

The news agency said the babies' families had paid the pair to dispose of the bodies, but they instead dumped them at the river. It was not clear whether Zhu and Wang dumped the bodies directly in the river or if they made an attempt to bury them.

Health Bureau ordered to apologize

Three top hospital officials were fired or suspended and the government ordered the Jining Municipal Health Bureau to make a public apology, Xinhua said.

"It exposes a serious loophole in the hospital's management and indicates a lack of ethics and legal awareness of some hospital staff," Gong was quoted as saying.

"It exerts a very negative impact on society and teaches us a profound lesson."

Reports said the babies ranged in age from newborns to several months old. One of the bluish-green identification tags visible in the news video said: "Boy; mother's name is Man Hongmei; born in April 2009."

The reports did not give the number of girls or boys. Xinhua said the bodies of the 21 babies were cremated, though it was not clear whether they had all been identified.

An official from the information office of China's Health Ministry said she was not aware of the case, while telephone calls to the Jining Health Bureau and the Shandong Health Bureau were not answered Tuesday.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My first thought was that they were all girls, but I see they weren't. It doesn't say if they had died in the hospital or not? Gosh, I hope so.

RIP, babies. :(

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That is horrible. :( There's such a long wait for adoption from there too. We've looked into it a few months ago, and they told us the current wait period is 3 (or more) years.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
A baby limit? WTH?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK, yes, I've heard of that before. That is so...wrong. Is abortion legal over there?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yes, abortion is legal in China. With a one baby limit, it kind of has to be. There is also a very different view on how precious life is. With over-population comes a more cavalier approach to preserving life. They will find these 2 guilty and execute them.

Also it's not a Christian country which means they view things slightly differently than we do. I think probably originally before Mao it was Buddhist. Buddhism is quite different than Judeo-Christian/Muslim religions. For one I don't think suicide is forbidden. Cremation is the norm (in Japan anyways). In the past I think it was illegal to bury someone in Japan. There simply is no room. Again with over-population-there is no room for large cemetaries.

That's not to say that I don't think it's reprehensible. It's just less shocking in a place with a one baby limit and fewer possibilities for single mothers. And not viewed through a Judeo-Christian/Muslim bias.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
this is so disgusting, those poor babies. Even if someone has died they still deserve to be treated with respect, it just disgusts me everyday what humans can inflict on other humans. I hope they suffer for what they have done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts