Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think they are getting along OK, but thought I'd describe the behaviors b/w my 5 yo lab, Nellie, and our new, 10 wk old lab, Duke....
Basically, he just won't leave her alone! Every chance he gets, he wants to climb on her, bite her legs, her neck, her eyes...etc. And Nellie, at first will just stand still and look like she's just being very patient, but then she'll do the low growl, like "get the heck away from me." Well, Duke doesn't get the hint, and just keeps biting her...so then she'll snap at him and bark really loud until he flips over on his back. So I think to myself..."OK that's good, b/c he's showing submission to her." Well it lasts all of 5 seconds, and he's back at her again like a little Landshark.
I just wonder if he'll ever get the hint and settle down around her. I feel bad for her--she seems a little higher strung than usual (which is to be expected..I don't think she likes sharing her "people" yet.) Has anyone else had a similar experience, and can you tell me what to expect in the future? This is my first time in a dual dog household! :) I know that they need to set their own boundaries with each other, but I wonder if and when I should ever step in to give Nellie a break from the baby shark!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It's normal. If you want to give your older dog a break, crate him for a short time.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I have introduced puppies to older dogs in the home a few times, and can say that there is no normal. Duke is acting like a normal puppy - they all torture the older ones. The reaction of an older dog can be anywhere from thrilled, playing and watching over the new baby to just tolerating the brat. My guess is that in a few months, Nellie and Duke will be best buddies.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Kelly was 13 almost 14 years old when we brought Dakota home. She's a bit aggressive, been that way since she turned 2. There was no way we were letting her near Dakota till he was a few weeks older.
Well..the day our backyard fence was finished..I'd had enough of keeping them separate, so I took a deep breath..calmed my fears..and let them both out in the backyard..keeping a close watch on Kelly's demeanor. She'd been around him for over a month..so..I kept my fingers crossed and my sneakers on..in case I had to run after her. Well, it went fine..pretty much..she did a bit of low growling..tried to get away from him..to no avail..and every day after that..he's been her tormentor..she still growls, does bitey face and even romps for a few seconds with him..so..it turned out well. We leave them together now at night in our bathroom, when we go out sometimes too. The only time we keep them apart is feeding time..she is very food possessive.
He drives her nuts..tho, always licking, biting, trying to get her to play. I can't wait to see what happens when his male hormones kick in..my poor Kelly. LOL
Jackie

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Yep, it's all normal. I always give my older dogs a break by crating the puppy, and also by having alone time with the older dogs (take them on a seperate walk, etc...) I tend to make my older dogs feel very special the first few weeks of getting a new puppy ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts