Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This search is getting frustrating and I think we're going to have to put it off until after our move to Jacksonville in a few months. Every single one I have seen in this county just doesn't seem right somehow. I know that may be just me being too picky, but they just don't seem to care as much about my individual dog as the one I see now, and we've decided not to continue with her!

One interesting thing, we were talking about cold tail a while back, and I've been kind of using that as a barometer. Every single vet here that I have seen (5 now) has either not heard of it, or dismissed it as an old wives tale. I looked this up and it seems like a real enough thing, and common enough, so why wouldn't our vets here know about it? These are not unintelligent people; in fact it's the opposite. They're intelligent and must be reasonably well informed or else they wouldn't still be in business. I could see one being incompetent, but five? Somethings not right here...

Kevin

·
Registered
830 Posts
My vet didn't know about cold tail either. I gave her websites to check.

I wasn't pleased with my first vet so I made a switch. I am very pleased with the switch that I made even though she didn't know what cold tail was :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'd never heard of cold tail before here and when I asked my sister about it (vet assistant) she'd never heard of it either. I don't think a vet not knowing about cold tail is a fair way to judge their entire practice.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Get somebody that you seem to like well enough, and get a good feeling about, then educate yourself so you can stand up for your dog if you need to. It might be better to move first, then ask people who they go to and get some opinions. And even then, some people are going to love a vet and some are going to have some bad story about them, just like people doctors! The first vet that I went to down here didn't even seem to like animals very much, although he was a skilled vet and I think his treatments were spot on - but I decided on someone who actually liked my dogs. It is important to me that the vet like my dogs, or at least acts friendly towards them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I go to an office where I dont care for the older male vet (he cant get down to dog level because of his knees and wants a 100 pound dog lifted onto the table, which in turn stresses out my dogs)....but, I do like the female vet...she's VERY good with the boys and I trust her opinion...She always tries the less invasive techniques first, instead going right towards cutting or something else...So, I only ask to see her.

Go with your gut...you know your dog better than anyone else...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I went to two other vets before I landed where I'm at. And now I would NEVER go see anyone else. All three vets in the clinic are great, and they do amazing stuff for my fosters/rescues. I even play softball with them on a league! They truly care about what they do, the animals they see and their clients. They have vet students come in for internships all of the time too, as they see teaching as an important aspect of continuing practice.

I dropped my first vet after their front desk receptionists/vet techs ragged on how unruly chocolate labs were, and the second vet because he didn't support my rescue efforts...actually said to me "why would you concern yourself with someone else's problem?" Wow. How compassionate of you.

But my "new" vets (been there for 3 years) kick butt, and the boys love them.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
Wow Dani, really ? From a vet ? just wow on that.

Agreed not every vet knows everything, just get comfortable and arm yourself with knowledge. I left my first vet when they said Harper had cancern without really even testing him. Went to a vet who worked in Golden rescue, ran some tests. Yada Yada it was a treatable condition.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd never heard of cold tail before here and when I asked my sister about it (vet assistant) she'd never heard of it either. I don't think a vet not knowing about cold tail is a fair way to judge their entire practice.
That wasn't the only criteria. It's just a little way of knowing who's best. There were a lot more things that decided me...;)

Kevin

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I would not expect a vet to necessarily know about what is a pretty breed specific thing like cold tail. It is not something needing medical intervention after all.

At the vet practice I use there is one vet I LOVE! And one I don't like much and 2 others I am OK with seeing. The one I love was tremendously involved and supportive when Diesel was diagnosed with diabetes. I left him with her a couple of times all day when we were having trouble getting his dosage figured out.

The last time I saw her she actually teared up because of how happy she was at how well he was doing. Apparently most people choose to put down their diabetic dogs, and she is just thrilled we didn't.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
That wasn't the only criteria. It's just a little way of knowing who's best. There were a lot more things that decided me...;)

Kevin
I'll say it: This is just silly.

There are about a million better ways to judge a practice than if a vet knows - on the spot - about cold tail. I have a minor in journalism, but if someone asked me a specific question about AP Style I can't guarantee I would know the answer offhand. I would be able to grab my stylebook and look it up quickly though - and follow up with an educated explanation. It's impossible to remember everything from 4 years of school (do you recall every detail you learned in college?), but it is possible to know how to find out what something is and do the appropriate tests to diagnose a condition.

Cold tail knowledge would not even be on my radar, even as a means of deciding "who is best." What vaccines do they recommend in their core program? Do they titer? What anesthesia protocols do they use? What is included with a spay/neuter estimate (I want preanesthetic bloodwork done, as well as IV fluids during surgery, and pain medication to go home)? Who do they recommend I see in case of an after hours emergency?

ETA: It's nice that you are very concerned about the care your dog is going to receive, but I think you are probably eliminating a lot of vets who otherwise could take very good care of your dog!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Kevin - I would wait until you move (soon??) and then contact a local kennel club or rescue to get some recommendations. You have to be the advocate for Harley just like you would be for Alexander and Olivia. If a vet makes you uncomfortable or uneasy then you need to keep looking. Jacksonville should have a fairly large selection of vet practices. Keep Bob's suggestion in mind too. Gainesville is only a few hours southwest of Jacksonville and the university there might be a consideration if Harley ever needs expert or specialty care (hope that never happens!!:))

p.s. Don't hold the cold tail part against them. I had no idea what it was until I read about it on JL. I had to goggle it to find out what it was and I grew up with lots of hunting dogs in my extended family circle. Who knew??

I would be much more concerned that the vet and the vet assistants love animals and connect with them. It will make a huge difference in your trust and confidence when you do encounter an illness or injury with Harley.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I keep phrasing this wrong! The cold tail thing is not the most important factor in my search. It's just that I figured with so many having not heard of it, one that had would probably be better informed, and a more qualified vet... ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My vet has 2 labs and had never heard of cold tail, either. She's a wonderful vet and loves my dogs..

She knows about it now =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts