I thought I had a list, but all I could find was an overview of the exercises:

heeling on leash (incl. figure8)
same heeling pattern off leash
stand for exam
recall
long sit (1 min)
long down (3 min)

Is that right?

What is included in the heeling pattern?

Thanks, in advance! :D

S

·
0 Posts
Felicia,

Heeling on lead and off includes .... fast, slow, stop, left turn, right turn, about turn. Correction matches and trialing (we've just started trialing) ... it's been an "L" shaped pattern each time.

Judith

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool!! Thanks, Judith!! :D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Nov A patterns are usually L shaped but not always. Some judges can be very tough. Sometimes they will have you go up one side of the ring and down the middle. They may also have you do your about turn at the gate opening or even run you into the gates by calling a turn too late. Practice any and all possibilities and you'll be prepared.

AKC has recently begun allowing the Nov A people to walk the pattern (w/o the dog) with the judge during the briefing. This is a wonderful addition for new handlers and helps take the edge off. Take advantage of this.

A really great website for info on all levels of obedience is:

http://clubs.akc.org/saints/Archives/newsroom.htm

Go about half way down the page to "Articles on the Application of the AKC Obedience Regulations" and click on Novice (or Open or Utility). These articles were written by John Cox, an AKC judge. I reread them every time before I go into the ring just to refresh my memory. They explain the rules in detail, how the judge is scoring, what mistakes the handler can make, etc. It's my obedience bible. ;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Felicia, did you forget Figure Eight? Or is that not included in CKC?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, it is! I lumped it under heeling on leash.

Thanks Lydia, that's AWESOME! :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't forget fast and slow and stand for exam. Some of the judges do have a few different patterns than just the normal L so best to get to a trial and watch the pattern first.
Are you entered at the LOC obedience on Friday?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Fay!

No, no, we're not ready for novice yet!! I've just found a trainer here and we're going to start 1 on 1 sessions in June!! I'm sooo excited! :)

I'm thinking I might register Henry for the rally trials at the LOC though, on the Saturday. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts