Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have found sharp bones thru the kibble and they never did a recall on any of it. they actually said the bones are fine if the dog ingested them!! they only apologize when you call them. do we trust them now and their quality of food???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was looking at the golden retriever forums just looking around and saw it there under recall site "orijen concerns" Yes people have found sharp bones going thru the kibble and are completely turned off by orijen now especially with the responses they have gotton from champion pet foods. they never even made a public apology or a recall on the certain batches with the bones. all they can say is sorry... take a look at Golden Retriever forums Google it and go to recall forum under "orijen concerns". let me know your thoughts??

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Wow. :scared:

I am SO glad I switched to raw. I think this goes to show that you just never know, no matter how trustworthy and high-end the kibble is. :(

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Baloo317 said:

I am SO glad I switched to raw. I think this goes to show that you just never know, no matter how trustworthy and high-end the kibble is. :(
Honestly, this has nothing to do with the trust-worthiness of the company or whether the food is high-end or not. Stuff happens. What matters is how they address the problem. Unfortunately, they did address the problem, fixed the problem with their supplier, and people are still not happy. Welcome to the modern world. Does that make them a terrible company? No! It's not like there was poison in their food, it was fish bones that aren't harmful to dogs. Return the bag for a new one of a different lot, pick out the bones yourself...there are more important things to worry about. Fish bones isn't poison killing dogs...

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
CYNLABS said:
Baloo317 said:

Honestly, this has nothing to do with the trust-worthiness of the company or whether the food is high-end or not. Stuff happens. What matters is how they address the problem. Unfortunately, they did address the problem, fixed the problem with their supplier, and people are still not happy. Welcome to the modern world. Does that make them a terrible company? No! It's not like there was poison in their food, it was fish bones that aren't harmful to dogs. Return the bag for a new one of a different lot, pick out the bones yourself...there are more important things to worry about. Fish bones isn't poison killing dogs...
That's not what I meant. I basically meant that "stuff happens", and you just never know, regardless of the company. Even if it's not harmful (and cooked fish bones potentially are) it's still unacceptable.

My sentiment was basically that I'm glad that "stuff" can't happen with the food I feed my dogs. Whether it's fish bones, poison, contaminants, etc. ;)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I feed orijen, and yes, I had 2 bags with the fish bones in it.

You know what? It didn't freak me out nearly as badly as those people on the GR forum. Yes, I was a little bit "wth is this", but after calling and being told what it was, I actually bit one and it wasn't nearly as hard or as sharp as what people said. They felt harder then they actually were, and didn't bother my mouth at all.

Yes, that's extremely weird, but better to know then to not know, and if I wouldn't eat something I feed my dogs, then why feed it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I feed it too and going to stay with it. I did find a bone in her kibble and kinda got freaked about it, but i also called and they explained what happened. Hey it was a recall with tainted food, some bones got stuck. So i just found it in a few pieces and threw those out. the rest looks fine. Atleast we know they use real salmon in their food!! :

G

·
I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a wad over this or why Orijen has apologized over this. Orijen's explanation is 100% correct:

"Once the bones are in the stomach, where the pH is extremely acidic, between 1 and 2, the lifespan of the bones is about 1 hour before they are completely dissolved..."

When scientists check wolf scat to determine components of their diet, they can't even find any remnants of salmon bones even though they've observed wolves eating a regular diet of salmon. These bones are totally digested by a canine's digestive system and an essential part of a species appropriate diet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
jlab, since you would never feed any kibble under any circumstances, I'm surprised you wouldn't react to the fact that these are cooked bones. I'm sure they can be digested, but they are harder and sharper than raw bones would be. Probably more danger to the hands of the feeders, but still.... :whistle:

G

·
everydog said:
jlab, since you would never feed any kibble under any circumstances, I'm surprised you wouldn't react to the fact that these are cooked bones. I'm sure they can be digested, but they are harder and sharper than raw bones would be. Probably more danger to the hands of the feeders, but still.... :whistle:
Fish bones. Big difference between bones and fish bones.

G

·
everydog said:
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Orijen was not cooked. I guess the word "processed fresh food" instead of "cooked fresh food" that they use in their ads fooled me. If it's cooked like you say then I agree, totally different story, brittle sharp bones that are dangerous for dogs. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Also, the other thing that didn't really bother me so much - the bones in question were about the size of a rice kernel. I know, cause I went through about 20 odd kibbles to see just how bad it was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts