Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow our animal control facility is hosting their annual Adoption Extravaganza. My friend from the dog training club has orchestrated several volunteers from the club to staff a booth and answer dog training questions. :)

I am looking forward to it, and also dreading it in a way. :-\ You all know I believe so strongly in encouraging people to adopt from shelters. I think it is so important to bring these animals to the attention of people who are looking for family pets.

But, on the other hand, I was reading a bit more about our animal control facility this week, and came upon this horribly depressing statistic: Last year, 23,000 animals came through the doors. They were proud to announce that last year was their biggest adoption year ever, adopting more than 1,400 animals.

They went on to say that they had returned some animals to owners, but sadly, had been forced to euthanize 14,600+ animals.

:'(

I did the math. If they worked 365 days a year, eight hours per day (which they do not), that would be one animal every 5-10 minutes.

:'(

I just can't get that statistic out of my head. I've been depressed all week about this.

Mom says I just need to go and be happy - if I can meet and encourage ONE PERSON to adopt an animal, I will have done something.

:-\

Rescue people, I've said it before: My hat is off to you.

I have never set foot on the grounds of our animal control facility. It's a brand new facility (well, five years old) and supposedly very clean and welcoming. But I always knew the numbers were not good, so I've never been able to bring myself to go. :-[ Angus and Simon were adopted from the Humane Association, which has a much stricter intake policy, but is a very low-kill shelter. They do euthanize, but only animals who have an illness that prohibits adoption (Jules comes to mind) or animals that are aggressive.

I'm just not sure I can walk into a facility that I know doesn't give the dogs long and look into their eyes and not want to leave with all of them. Not be haunted by their faces. :'(

Geez, I'm getting myself all upset now.

Well, just say a little prayer for me tomorrow that I will represent the dog training club and shelter dogs to the very best of my ability, and that there will be many successful adoptions as a result of this event.

Thanks. :)

G

·
Connie,

I'll be thinkin about you. You're doing a good thing and your mom is right - if one person walks out of there with a dog your day will have been a success. Think of it this way...if you get one person to adopt and every other person gets one person to adopt then several dogs will have new homes. The day will have been very sucessful indeed.

You're doing a wonderful thing. {{hugs}}

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I'm sure you will do great! I agree that if you can encourage one person to adopt an animal, that is one less who will be euthanized. One of the shelters here is a no kill and I still want to take each and every one of them home with me.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Your Mom is right...but I'm a thinker and internalizer like you. Those numbers are so depressing.
Good luck tomorrow, Connie. I know youll do a great job.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
You cant focus on the negative... put a positive spin on it and look at it as trying to reduce those PTS numbers by getting the word out. Good for you Connie... I could not do it or I'd have another dog or two.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
That's so true; if you help one dog find a home, you'll have made a difference. I know the stats are terribly depressing, but your being there will have a positive impact on these dogs.

I have no doubt you will be a great adoption representative, Connie. :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Could you post where the adoption day will be held adress city state? You never know who here might just wander over and find a perfect pet.. :)

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Connie, I get a pit in my stomach reading what you posted. But I know what a strong caring person like yourself can change things for the better. I know you with your presence and personality you can influence people and achieve your goal of helping these puppups...
good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Good for you! I'll be running a CGN test at an upcoming fundraiser.. I like the training booth idea too.

Friend of mine has dedicated all her adult life to rescue animals (her house is full of dogs and cats and birds and a few caged pets).. people always ask "how can you do this?" and her only answer is that she doesn't think about "how", she just does what needs doing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good for you!! You will do great! It is depressing when you see the numbers, but if you can save just one the day will be something you and the lucky pet will never forget. Good wishes going your way!

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Connie, you are going to be doing an amazing thing today! I know it would be so difficult for me as well. Just remember that you are making a difference for those dogs today.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Just think of it this way, If you help one family to adopt that is one less dog to be euthanized. See your help is already changing things!

Good luck and thanks for helping out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts