Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you couldn't have a Labrador Retriever, what kind of dog would you have?

Me, I'd get a German Shepherd or Great Dane ... if I was going small breed I'd get a Beagle or a Boston Terrier.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I adopted my GSD when Jo died last year. I'd never considered getting a Shepherd, I badly wanted another Labrador & still do but at that time , there were no litters around here. My vet asked me if I would consider adopting a dog & I said yes. She rang me about a week later & asked me if I wanted a GSD. It was love at first sight. :)

I have to keep reminding myself she's 11. :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have always wanted a corgi

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to add German Shorthaired Pointer to my list.

·
Registered
49 Posts
probably go with something smaller as I'm not as young as I used to be. Maybe cocker spaniel (nice one next door) or corgi.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Great Dane, German Shepherd, Newfoundland, or Great Pyrannes. These are my dream dogs, but Labs are always first and I would never turn away a mix.

·
Registered
618 Posts
German Shorthaired Pointer!

Had one before I had a lab - they are awesome dogs! AND NO TAIL! (at least we had ours cropped) some leave them long because that is how they point, but I liked ours with no tail!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
There are several breeds of dogs that I really like. But behind a lab, my first choice would most likely be a greyhound. There's a rescue group here in Indy and I look through their available dogs occasionally... just because.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Hmmm, my short list would be: JRT, Nova Scotia Duck Toller, Australian Shepherd

I would love a giant breed (mastiff or dane), but the short lifespan keeps me away.

John and I were thisclose to getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback instead of Jake. Luckily one breeder kindly explained that they like to "sing" and we decided that wouldn't mesh with our apartment life very well. Thank goodness :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hunter what is that thing? poor dog!

When I got Misha I honestly didn´t want another lab, only because of their health problems, but ended up getting one because of their lovely temperament and because I was never able to find a quality collie.

What would I get... I´ve always wanted a rough collie, I would seriously consider a Doberman (only if it has a nice temperament), a boston terrier, a greyhound or whippet

Already had a Great Dane and she was awesome, but I couldn´t bear the fact that they only live 7 years in average. Killed me when she passed away, she was the youngest of my (the 4) dogs and the first one to leave

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Napolean Mastiff for me...I love the Newfies, but have known too many with hip problems. I love big dogs, Pitch is the biggest dog I have owned.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Probably a pit or pit mix. If I was getting a small dog, I'd get a Chihuahua, I love this breed. I've had them before and found them to be sweet loving little dogs. I guess it depends on how their brought up but mine were always good, quiet (to a point) and friendly little dogs.:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts