Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how exactly are they disposing of the tainted product?

I should hope incineration or something. I keep imagining they are just shovelling it into the landfills, where it's probably going to wind up in the water table, wild animals, birds,etc are gonna eat it, and it's just gonna be one GIANT snowball effect. Nice thought, eh?

Anyone else speculating on this?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump, cause I wanna hear what others think. Plus, I'm sure someone on here knows what the scoop is.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Wow, that would have never occurred to me. Good question! Wish I knew the answer.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'll be right back! Going to email Eddie my pet store guy. He knows everything about this recall!!
:)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Nope, Eddie didn't know. :-\

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hmm I don't know but i am kinda hoping they don't incinerate this stuff because I don't want to breathe it! What do you do with 60 million cans of pet food?

Kelly and Amber

B

·
0 Posts
From the San Antonio Newspaper so I guess this is how most everyone is handling it...

Dr. Kenneth Kirlin, a veterinarian at San Antonio's Eagle Veterinary Hospital, said he was glad to get the additional information about a suspected agent. Kirlin hasn't seen any animals he believed were sickened from contaminated pet food, but he has seen a sudden boost in visits and calls from anxious owners.

He said that he, like most veterinarians, would spend the next several days conducting more research into aminopterin and its possible effects in animals.

“If it's showing up in food, (animals) may be getting a constant level of it every day,” he said. “So it could be pretty insidious.”

Speculation is rampant about how rat poison could have contaminated pet food. Hoestenbach, who has been in contact with officers overseeing the investigation, said the early focus on wheat in the feed could still be relevant. Menu Foods has reported that the only recent change to its manufacturing process involves a new supplier of wheat gluten, he said.

Hoestenbach said he has questions over whether the new supplier may have been treating wheat with rat poison, possibly in spray or dusting form.

This is by far the largest feed recall Hoestenbach said he's ever been involved in. His office is overseeing the disposal of suspected pet food and it also has oversight regarding distribution and retailing practices.

Field officers will track contaminated food pouches and cans all the way from store warehouses to landfills, he said. It's especially important that landfills handle disposal correctly, he said.

Aminopterin is an organic compound and will break down relatively easily and not cause additional harm in landfills, he said. Still, contaminated pet food and containers must be covered with several tons of refuse immediately so that Dumpster divers can't fish them out overnight for resale, he said.

“We'll make sure it doesn't find its way to the flea markets on Sunday,” he said.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That was the rat posion they found they later found Melamine a plastic compound in all the samples. The rat posion wasn't found in all the ssamples.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Still, contaminated pet food and containers must be covered with several tons of refuse immediately so that Dumpster divers can't fish them out overnight for resale, he said.

“We'll make sure it doesn't find its way to the flea markets on Sunday,” he said.
Oh. My. Gosh. :eek: It is so sad what the world has come to. :-\

1 - 12 of 12 Posts