Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worried we'll turn into the house that I, myself, used to avoid when walking.

SIGH....

Everynow and then I'll let Ty out in the front yard with me unleashed. He's always been good about staying in the yard, never crossing into the street...never has shown any interest in chasing cars. And I only let him out when i don't see other dogs and when its a slow day (not much traffic on our little city road). So today I was out front, and wasn't going to be out front for more than 4-5 minutes to water our flowers. So I let Ty come from the back yard and he was sniffing around, I went back into the garage to get some fertilizer and I heard Ty start to "WOOF!". I looked around and there was this older lady (gray hair, kinda frail looking) walking her black poodle (I think). I grabbed Ty by the collar and gave him a sit and said a firm "No!". I tried to get inbetween him and them and break his fixation.

I waited there for a minute or two, what I thought would've been enough time for her to get far enough down to the road for Ty to see them. I let him go and he immediately ran to the corner of the garage (you know the look, all perked up...hair kinda standin up...ears out)...he caught sight of them and started off in a trot and then started running towards them. I knew at the time, that he wouldn't hurt either one of them (except for excessive licking) if/when he got to them. Of course I knew that this poor old lady didn't know that, and probably thought she was about to get mauled.

Luckily, after some yells at him...he stopped at the edge of our yard and came back to me. Needless to say I was mad/ashamed/frustrated/embarassed. So I gave him a firm grip of the neck and led him back into the house.

Now I feel terrible because I was exactly what I try to avoid in our neighborhood when walking Ty. The very thing that makes me mad when we go walking "Geez, can't people keep their dogs on a leash. Can't people control their dogs." Obviously, Ty's days in the front yard off leash are over...

ANYWAY, back to the original question...when you dog sees another dog he/she doesn't know...how do they react? Ty reacts with a deep bark and very alerted body language. Same thing with strange people. But if you let him approach and meet them, his ears drop...his tail wags, and he licks. We socialized him as much as possible when he was a pup. He met a variety of dogs...small/large and people. Obviously he could've met more if we lived somewhere a little less rural.

I just wish he was more friendly to approach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,913 Posts
Ty sounds like he is little too sure of himself and a tad territorial.

As I am sure you know, letting him off leash near a road is a terrible idea. You are putting him at serious risk by doing so. Not only that but if I was the Toy Poodles owner I would be reporting you for having an unleashed out of control dog. Don't forget that the old lady doesn't know Ty is friendly. All she sees is a loose barking dog. I hope I haven't offending you by saying this -- that was not intentional. Just trying to make you see the other side...
 
G

·
When Laika sees a other dog, she must (on my command) lay down, and stay put ...

Because other wise she 'can attack' .. but that attack'ing thing is going be less and lesser, because she's got more and more trained ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trickster said:
Ty sounds like he is little too sure of himself and a tad territorial.

As I am sure you know, letting him off leash near a road is a terrible idea. You are putting him at serious risk by doing so. Not only that but if I was the Toy Poodles owner I would be reporting you for having an unleashed out of control dog. Don't forget that the old lady doesn't know Ty is friendly. All she sees is a loose barking dog. I hope I haven't offending you by saying this -- that was not intentional. Just trying to make you see the other side...
I understand..see below..

JeffG said:
Of course I knew that this poor old lady didn't know that, and probably thought she was about to get mauled.

Now I feel terrible because I was exactly what I try to avoid in our neighborhood when walking Ty. The very thing that makes me mad when we go walking "Geez, can't people keep their dogs on a leash. Can't people control their dogs." Obviously, Ty's days in the front yard off leash are over...

/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,898 Posts
Thunder will follow them on the border and not say a word. Simba on the other hand, barks her fool head off. I've tried and tried to keep her quiet, to no avail. We have invisible fence so they don't leave the yard, with or without their collars on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Rocky used to just take off to greet a dog and engage in some mutual sniffing. I've since trained him to sit as soon as he sees another dog and take off only when I release him. Sometimes in the park, when he's in "a mood", he'll just take off and look back at me as he bolts. Sometimes I can stop him with a firm HEY! Then it's back to square one on his leash. He doesn't like that. Most people in my area know Rocky, so it's not a big problem, but it still bugs me when he disobeys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Well Poppy must be the most untrained dog on this forum....she sees another dog and she is off. Head down and off we go as this must be another new friend to play with and we are so excited to make new friends.
People are a different matter....she does not like anyone wearing a hat or a coat. Bizarre considering we live in England and in Winter everyone wears a coat and most people wear a hat!!!!
She is very territorial towards the house when males enter...even close family members - though some people may say that she has good taste!!!

Michelle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
milomc72 said:
Well Poppy must be the most untrained dog on this forum....she sees another dog and she is off. Head down and off we go as this must be another new friend to play with and we are so excited to make new friends.
People are a different matter....she does not like anyone wearing a hat or a coat. Bizarre considering we live in England and in Winter everyone wears a coat and most people wear a hat!!!!
She is very territorial towards the house when males enter...even close family members - though some people may say that she has good taste!!!

Michelle
I have the same problem with Saska she does not like anybody wearing a hat or coat or if they look a bit shifty she will bark, she has started barking more and more lately even when other dogs are coming towards us which is embarrassing,(not all dogs though) if they come to sniff her she will panic and scream at the top of her voice strange, have tried to stop her but to no avail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
We're talking a six month old puppy here, right? He's stayed by you in the yard before because he was a baby and unsure of himself and the world. Now he's becoming more confident so this will only become worse and the more opportunities he has to run after someone, the harder it will be to break the habit. Keep your boy on leash when in an unfenced area, and really work on that recall ;)

To answer your question, each of my dogs is different and it really depends on the situation. Piper is the most likely to bark at a random person especially if she's contained (crated in the car, behind a fence). If she's able to get to them, she's nothing but a wiggle butt. Darwin and Puzzle would only bark if something was really off about the person. They're all very friendly and would probably run up to anyone unless told not to or on a leash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
Gabby is not off leash outside unless in a dog friendly area - dog park, wilderness preserve, our farm, our lake property, inlaw's property, common ground behind our condo, or at my parents' house in the backyard etc.

She sits until I give her permission to go play. She also has a solid recall so that if I feel that the other dog owner feels threatened I can call her back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,130 Posts
Zoe is Jeckall and Hyde. If she is in the front yard or the house she barks her fool head off, we have Invisible Fence so she won't try to get them, but she lets them know it's her yard. If we are walking and sees another dog she just looks at them as they are barking their fool head off and doesn't make a peep. It's a bit weird actually. There is a Yellow Lab named Lucy that goes berzerk when we walk by, Zoe does nothing but keeps going. Lucy's owner always apologizes and I say no problem that is what dogs do...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct, his is 6 months old. He has been out with us very recently. We have been working on the recall, and its about 95% (okay maybe not that much...)...unless there happens to be an old lady with a black poodle.... ::)

My parents live on a lake w/ neighbors on each side...we're able to let him run free out there and we are working with recall by rewarding him with some really appetizing each time he comes when called. I was using small pieces of cheese. Thereafter, if I even started to say something that started with a "T", he came bounding back.

And yes, it seems worse when he's restricted from investigating. If he's in a car, crate or behind a fence he'll bark a few times. Nothing vicious or aggressive, just a "BOR ROW ROW". If he's unrestricted, he'll run up REALLY excited...slam on the brakes to get a sniff then its wiggle butt/excited bark/bitey face mania!

JacksAndLabs said:
We're talking a six month old puppy here, right? He's stayed by you in the yard before because he was a baby and unsure of himself and the world. Now he's becoming more confident so this will only become worse and the more opportunities he has to run after someone, the harder it will be to break the habit. Keep your boy on leash when in an unfenced area, and really work on that recall ;)

To answer your question, each of my dogs is different and it really depends on the situation. Piper is the most likely to bark at a random person especially if she's contained (crated in the car, behind a fence). If she's able to get to them, she's nothing but a wiggle butt. Darwin and Puzzle would only bark if something was really off about the person. They're all very friendly and would probably run up to anyone unless told not to or on a leash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
My male is a territorial and will go nuts if he is out front (on leash) and other dogs go by. I know this so he isn't ever just out front with me. I don't believe he would do anything if he got close, but I don't take the chance.

Moose is curious about other dogs and wants to go visit, but since I walk 2 dogs together I skip greetings with unfamiliar dogs. Sky will bark at any unfamiliar dog if I don't remind her to settle as we pass. For the most part Moose will ignore if I remind him to. I think the continual obedience classes and putting the dogs around unfamiliar dogs has been the best for Moose. I've started this with Sky now to work on this issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
Puff thinks all other dogs want to meet and play with her.

No raised hackles, no barks, just a wagging tail that if it had the right aerodynamic shape would lift at least her butt off the ground.

If we meet a person (dogless) on our morning offleash walks in the nature preserve, she usually barks at them BUT if they have a dog, she's completely devoted to attempting to play with it.

Whenever I see her tail begin wagging, I look for the source and then order her into a "Sit-Stay" so I can fasten her leash to her collar.

If the person has a friendly dog, I ask if they want to let their dog offleash for the dogs to play.

Puff has a poor memory -- or more probably she believes in giving all dogs multiple chances? (She shows much the same desire to play with dogs that previously have not been good play partners.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
Tucker usually does the 'alert' stance at first, just watching them, maybe hackles up (not in anger, just from the excitement). Then it's usually tail waggin', approaching them, and sniffin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,793 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
I am very lucky. When Apollo sees a strange dog he stands there and stares at the dog. The other dog can bark, be hyper, whatever, and Apollo just stands there calmly and looks at the other dog, ears perked and tail curled in curiosity.

http://apollopuppy.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=P1010183
I looove apollo's tail in that video, it only wags at the top, like a little flag!! Made me laugh! ;D ;D

Anyways, Peanut completely aggresses on leash at other dogs. No barking, but if we get close enough...she's got a full "back mohawk" and out comes "witch dog"..... sooo embarrassing.. :-[

Off leash it's an entirely different story, calm submissive, happy-go-lucky little dog. *sigh* :-\

It's something that's worried me about Baloo, I'm worried about him picking up her bad habits... but I will take him out on leash just the two of us for some one-on-one training... hopefully that will help, cuz he's gonna be a lot bigger than she is!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Baloo317 said:
Apollopuppy said:
I am very lucky. When Apollo sees a strange dog he stands there and stares at the dog. The other dog can bark, be hyper, whatever, and Apollo just stands there calmly and looks at the other dog, ears perked and tail curled in curiosity.

http://apollopuppy.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=P1010183
I looove apollo's tail in that video, it only wags at the top, like a little flag!! Made me laugh! ;D ;D
Isn't he funny lol. He's such a labradork!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
I am lucky in this respect - Ellie pretty much ignores other dogs. She is not really a dog that likes to socialize a whole lot with other dogs. She is not aggressive or unfriendly with other dogs, she doesn't care if they are around.

I could never let her off leash out front though. She would take off down the street at 100 mph and not come back. We are working on her recall, but it is a tough one for us.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top