Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're first-time lab owners and we bought our Duke from a local newspaper classified ad. The owners of the sire and dam own both, but I realize now that they're backyard breeders who just happen to hunt. We just didn't know any better. We love Duke even though he's just pet quality. If we had to do it over again, we'd do it differently. Hindsight's always 20/20. We were just ignorant.
I was just curious what the "DNA#" on the certified pedigree means.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I believe it means that the dog has had a cheek swab taken and his or her DNA is on file with the AKC. This information can be used to verify parentage. The AKC web site has a DNA profile program page.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Yup, DNA is required by AKC of any stud dog that sires, I believe more than two litters per year or six in his lifetime, or is from a foreign country. I don't quite remember the exact rule.

Found it! This is from the AKC

American Kennel Club - DNA Certification Program

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
We're first-time lab owners and we bought our Duke from a local newspaper classified ad. The owners of the sire and dam own both, but I realize now that they're backyard breeders who just happen to hunt. We just didn't know any better. We love Duke even though he's just pet quality. If we had to do it over again, we'd do it differently. Hindsight's always 20/20. We were just ignorant.
JUST pet quality ! JUST ?

Whatever do you mean.

That is a positive attribute.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
We all have that dog where we would have done it differently. But my BYB dog is actually the smartest of all my dogs and if it weren't for her, would never have gotten into competing with my dogs.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I totally understand where you are coming from. Mya is a BYB lab to and so was Nadja my chocolate. That doesn't make us love them any less and since becoming a member here, I will do things differently next time to. Just LOVE and ENJOY the heck out of them while they are with you.....

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
JUST pet quality ! JUST ?

Whatever do you mean.

That is a positive attribute.
There is a difference between pet quality (which responsible breeders produce all the time) and pet bred - usually associated with BYB breeders. My very nice responsibly bred black Lab has fully cleared Bench Champions for both parents and comes from a reputable show breeder. He is pet quality. My chocolate Lab rescue is likely pet bred.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
^^^
my first lab Casey was pet breed from a BYB..like you, I just didn't know any better. Casey was a healthy, happy dog, who went on to live to be almost 14 years old. Yes, she had "papers" and way back then, I thought that was important. Now I realize her parents had no clearances what so ever. Thank God she was a healthy dog. I loved her with my whole heart and soul...and miss her dearly till this day.

Gracie and Lola are pet quality dogs....both their sire and dam...and so on down their line have clearances. I am sure your pup is beautiful no matter where he came from. I have learned alot about breeders and breeding here and continue to learn something new almost ever time I log on and read all the posts. So ask as many questions as possible and good luck with Duke...post some pics of your handsome guy:)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
When I got Ranger from a BYB I didn't know much. Although I think she wasn't out for the money, just liked dogs. I've learned a lot here and would do it differently today. Regardless, I couldn't love Ranger any more if he had a thousand titles before/after his name. Just love your Duke.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So after reading this I am starting to wonder if our new puppy really came from a back yard breeder....Is there a way to tell for sure? I have the AKC paperwork and both pedigrees for the sire and the dam. The breeder also owns both of them. She seemed to really know what she was talking about but this is our first AKC registered dog. So I am very new at all of this.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I am not an expert and I am not a breeder, but I have learned a few things over the years. All you breeders on board feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Reputable breeders do not breed for profit, did they ask you a lot of questions about yourself and family? They are usually active in the show ring, do any of their dogs have titles? Most importantly, do their dogs have all their clearances...hip, elbow,eye, cardiac???? Also a reputable breeder will take back your pup if for any reason you can not keep it. These are a few things I have learned...I am sure alot of the breeders on here can help with this one.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Responsible breeders don't usually breed their own dogs together. While it does happen, it's not often, because they are looking to bring better things to their lines to compliment the ***** and to improve on their stock to meet the labrador standard. Responsible breeders can show you clearances, pedigrees, and have titles on their dogs proving that they actively compete and that their labs conform to the standard. I have a BYB dog and one from a responsible breeder. I love them both but I know better now. I actively compete with my dogs and I expect that my breeders in the future will be doing what's best for the breed, not just putting their two pets together to make puppies because they are AKC registered. AKC papers means that the dogs are purebred and nothing else. Doesn't mean that the dogs should be bred.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Let me vent here on a pet peeve. "Papers" simply means its retistered with an organization that vouches for the "pedigree." All the "pedigree" means is that "we know who the parents were" and that's it. Having "papers" and knowing "who the parents were" does not mean that a dog is what most folks here would consider to be "well bred" for field, show, whatever. It drives me up the wall when people ask me "you gonna breed that dog? I got papers on Old Roy here, you should breed to him. " Gah.

True BYB's due a diservice to everyone, pumping out uncleared litters from non-working brood bitches who get bred every heat cycle, and have no quality of life. However, I don't consider a guy who "happens to hunt" and has a highly titled field ***** who gets the ***** cleared for hips/elbows/eyes/PRA/CNM/EIC and pours over pedigrees and breeds to a FC/AFC/NAFC dog with the same clearances to get his next puppy and pre-sells the rest of the litter to competitive homes to be a BYB in any sense of the word, other than they have a backyard. That is how the majority of competitive HT/FT dogs are bred.

There is NOTHING wrong with a "pet quality" lab. If you got a puppy from cleared parents that really do hunt, then you are way better off than all the folks buying puppies from guys that advertise "champion bloodlines" in the paper that's dogs have never seen a duck or been cleared for anything healthwise.

Enjoy the journey!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Just a little added note...both my dogs are AKC registered. Lola has severe hip dysplasia...she will NEVER be bred. Papers do not mean that you have a dog healthy enough to breed it just means they are purebred

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
However, I don't consider a guy who "happens to hunt" and has a highly titled field ***** who gets the ***** cleared for hips/elbows/eyes/PRA/CNM/EIC and pours over pedigrees and breeds to a FC/AFC/NAFC dog with the same clearances to get his next puppy and pre-sells the rest of the litter to competitive homes to be a BYB in any sense of the word, other than they have a backyard. That is how the majority of competitive HT/FT dogs are bred.
The above describes a hobbyist breeder - not a BYB.

There is NOTHING wrong with a "pet quality" lab. If you got a puppy from cleared parents that really do hunt, then you are way better off than all the folks buying puppies from guys that advertise "champion bloodlines" in the paper that's dogs have never seen a duck or been cleared for anything healthwise.
Temperament, type and clearances matter to me. Having bench champion lines back matters to me. I'm not a hunter and am not interested in doing any HT or FT work with my dogs so that is not what I would look for specifically but it is surely a plus to when a bench breeder also has produced working dogs. Good to know that they can do what they were bred for.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
So after reading this I am starting to wonder if our new puppy really came from a back yard breeder....Is there a way to tell for sure? I have the AKC paperwork and both pedigrees for the sire and the dam. The breeder also owns both of them. She seemed to really know what she was talking about but this is our first AKC registered dog. So I am very new at all of this.
Some major show breeders use their own dogs for stud but not a lot of them do. If you bought a puppy from someone who does not compete their dogs in some forum (like showing them in conformation or working them in hunt or field trials - which would allow for 3rd party confirmation that these dogs are exceptional examples of their breed and therefore should be considered for a breeding program) and the breeder did not provide you with health clearances (hips, elbows, EIC, heart) and did not require you to spay or neuter your puppy and did not require you to return the puppy to her if you could not keep her (both in a contract) then yes - you likely supported a BYB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still can't decide if its a backyard breeder or not. I don't think it was but am still to new at this. They did not require us to spay or neuter her. She said if in two years we wanted to breed her to call and she might have a stud and would tell us everything we need to do to have healthy puppies. I don't want to post the website of the breeder but I can private message it to someone. If they would be willing to look at it and tell me what they think. I love her no matter what even if she is from a backyard breeder!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Responsible breeders don't usually breed their own dogs together. While it does happen, it's not often
It depends on what you're trying to achieve. You're looking to the future when you make breeding decisions knowing you're looking to use your own stud on the ***** you hope to produce. Someone I consider very reputable just used their own stud dog on their ***** after looking around and deciding that their stud dog fit their ***** the best.

Most people I know with stud dogs don't often offer them publicly out to stud, instead they use them on their own bitches. So, stating that responsible breeders don't use their own stud dogs isn't necessarily correct.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Let me vent here on a pet peeve. "Papers" simply means its registered with an organization that vouches for the "pedigree." All the "pedigree" means is that "we know who the parents were" and that's it. Having "papers" and knowing "who the parents were" does not mean that a dog is what most folks here would consider to be "well bred" for field, show, whatever. It drives me up the wall when people ask me "you gonna breed that dog? I got papers on Old Roy here, you should breed to him. " Gah.

True BYB's due a diservice to everyone, pumping out uncleared litters from non-working brood bitches who get bred every heat cycle, and have no quality of life. However, I don't consider a guy who "happens to hunt" and has a highly titled field ***** who gets the ***** cleared for hips/elbows/eyes/PRA/CNM/EIC and pours over pedigrees and breeds to a FC/AFC/NAFC dog with the same clearances to get his next puppy and pre-sells the rest of the litter to competitive homes to be a BYB in any sense of the word, other than they have a backyard. That is how the majority of competitive HT/FT dogs are bred.

Of course there isn't. The majority of puppies produced by all breeders, show or field, are pet quality. That's why they get sold out of the litter to "pet" homes. ;) IMO, and my opinion doesn't count for much, I have no qualms about someone breeding who does something with their dog whether it's conformation showing, obedience, agility or field and they do all their clearances and sell on limited registration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts