Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. Gross. I know. But I also know you've had to do it. I always found success with hydrogen peroxide, but the past 2 times....nothing. And then I worry that the dog has hp in their system. Is there something stronger that I should get from the vet?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Did you use an old bottle? Once opened, that stuff has a shelf life.

Use more, if it doesn't work in 5-10 minutes.

Will be interested in what others suggest.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I had to use HP once. Not fun, but it did the trick.

Murphy had decided to grab a bag of active yeast from Kip (he makes homemade pretzels) in the kitchen. The foam that he puked up was DISGUSTING!!!!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it was a relatively new bottle. And the amount I gave had worked on previous occasions. I have a plastic syringe-thingy that is great to get into the dog's mouth. Both times were to vomit up an object that Remy ate that I worried would be too difficult to pass. He's passed both items so I guess I should have more faith in his digestive tract. It spectacular really. I guess I'll just go buy a new bottle to be on the safe side...who knows how long that bottle was on the shelf at the store?

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
In a true emergency, a tablespoon per 10 pounds of dog should cause vomit in 15 min. A book I have said it can be repeated only once. The time Judy ate the baby aspirin, I didn't know who so I gave it to Judy and Duke. It took longer than 15 min, nearly a half hour and I didn't give another dose. The few times I used it, there was always vomit eventually.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I use HP as well. It does take a few minutes to work. About 15 or 20 when I've used it, but it does work. I started out with 2 T's full, and then wait about 10 minutes and give 2 more tablespoons full. In one case I HAD to make the dog puke quickly because I had to leave the house, and I literally drenched him with it mixing it with water in a water bottle and pouring it down his throat. He threw up within 10 minutes... a HUGE piece of plastic wrap.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
HP mixed with Dr Pepper. There is a bottle of both in my dog first aid kit. The first time I didn't give enough. Found on line how much to use but no way were we getting more in her mouth. Remembered her love of DP and mixed it with that and she slurpped it up...and puked it up.

Mom had had surgery and was taking a pain pill. She took the pill out of the bottle set it on the night stand without putting the lid on while she stood there and took it. A 7 month old Cinnamon snatched the open bottle off the night stand spilling them. We thought she ate some as we were 4 short. So we made her puke. We later found the missing 4 pills in the bed sheets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I came home from work one time to find a big box of dark chocolate I purchased for my grandmother's Xmas present destroyed and every piece of chocolate eaten. I freaked out and called the vet. They said HP or salt. I tried and tried to get her to puke on the HP, but she wouldn't so I had to force salt down her throat. That did it. So salt works as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.