Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
my dogs aren't that active when they're awake.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've read some of the comments on that video and people seem to think he wouldn't have recovered so quickly if it were a seizure. And I think I've seen other videos posted of the same dog. I think maybe he's just a crazy sleeper.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Somehow I don't see crashing into a wall funny.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
There are some epileptic seizure aspects to that video. Most epileptic events occur while the dog is at rest, either sleeping or just relaxing. The "snapping at flies" instant in that clip is a hallmark. And yes, dogs can recover very quickly from an epileptic seizure... it depends on the severity of the event.

With that video? I wouldn't definitely say one way or another. It's what follows in the ensuing months that would tell the tale.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "snapping at flies" instant in that clip is a hallmark.
That's what really caught my eye, too, along with the exaggeratedness of the paddling. Theo's seizures always include wild paddling, but he has a lengthy post-ictic period.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
That's what really caught my eye, too, along with the exaggeratedness of the paddling. Theo's seizures always include wild paddling, but he has a lengthy post-ictic period.
Yes, Nathan. Flynn sometimes is long to recover (get his legs securely under him) and sometimes his post-ictal is *bounce back*. You just never know. :(

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I've read some of the comments on that video and people seem to think he wouldn't have recovered so quickly if it were a seizure. And I think I've seen other videos posted of the same dog. I think maybe he's just a crazy sleeper.
I agree. From my experience with seizues with Zena, even crashing into the wall would not bring them out. I think they dog has some VERY vivid dreams. Dutchie can get "active" in dreams...but not THAT active. Poor doggie. I bet he was scared when he hit the wall and no, it's not funny.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I agree. From my experience with seizues with Zena, even crashing into the wall would not bring them out. I think they dog has some VERY vivid dreams. Dutchie can get "active" in dreams...but not THAT active. Poor doggie. I bet he was scared when he hit the wall and no, it's not funny.
Just from the vid clip I'm inclined to agree with you, Sandy.
Whatever it was, I really don't find it humorous in any way. :(

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was being sort-of sarcastic; just for the record, I don't really find it funny either.

That said, most humor has some element of hostility or aggression. (Mel Brooks: "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into a manhole and die.")

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I was being sort-of sarcastic; just for the record, I don't really find it funny either.

That said, most humor has some element of hostility or aggression. (Mel Brooks: "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into a manhole and die.")
Thought so (bolded stuff up there).
See the wine thread. :D

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
CJ 'runs' in his sleep, but has never got up and run like that. When he seizes, which he has done 7 times, he does not move quickly. He pretty much stand or sits in the same spot until it has passed.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I don't know - the video on your link maybe looked like a wild dream, but I watched the longer one above it and it was more scary - not the movement, but when the dog got up, he stood there a really long time looking really strange and upset - could have been a seizure the people just didn't know it, or he really sleeps deep with weird dreams and wakes up confused.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
The 2 Labs I've had have both shown nearly similar behaviors (except the standing up and crashing into the wall).

I'm inclined to think it's NOT a seizure because the return to reality after the bump was so swift.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Although I tend to think that it isn't a seizure either, he really didn't "come to" after crashing into the wall all that fast - you really can't see how long he stood there. In the other video, he stood up and looked confuse for a long time - in this video, they cut it off too quick to tell.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I watched the videos and personally it looks like this dog is having seizures. He is displaying much the same signs our husky did when she had seizures. In the one video, it takes it a while to recoup and get it's wits about it. It makes me so sad for that poor thing.:( Definitely not funny.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
IMO that dog's epileptic. See this video of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QrGDmJdaeI&feature=related

He's not only "running" but the way the head is shaking so violently, that surely that has to be caused by a fit? Also note how long it takes him to come around after it. The poor guy's lying there thinking to himself, WTH just happened? :confused:

Instead of putting these videos on youtube (presumably) thinking it's funny, that stupid owner should be taking them & the do to a vet. An ECG would soon determine one way or the other.

I've had 2 epileptic dogs & NO it's not funny.:(

·
Registered
106 Posts
PatM, I saw that second one, and I agree. That was tough to watch, if Mickey ever had something like this going on, I'd have him up to the emergency vet post haste. :(

Garth, I wish I could comment there. It looks like a few viewers did try to tell the owner by making comments there. Maybe she'll see them and get the dog looked at. Poor Biz.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I'm not sure at all. At first with the very small movements of the legs it looked just like little steps while sleeping, but after that when he speeds up and gets up to hit the wall.. that just seems a bit too extreme for sleep walking/dreaming..

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Mrs

I'm not sure at all. At first with the very small movements of the legs it looked just like little steps while sleeping, but after that when he speeds up and gets up to hit the wall.. that just seems a bit too extreme for sleep walking/dreaming..
I agree. Buddy will 'run' in his sleep, with all four feet twitching and jerking, but never that violently. That owner really needs to have the poor dog checked out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts