Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you say to people, who upon finding out you're buying a purebred registered dog, give you grief and tell you that you should be looking at the local shelter for a rescue dog?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
"Thanks for sharing!"

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
"Bite me".

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
dwecks answer is great to passerbys - if it's somebody you have a more ongoing relationship with something like
it's great that you are so well educated
we have chosen to buy a purebred dog at this time because (whatever fits- we want a puppy- we have always wanted a lab whatever)
we have done our research very carefully and are buying a well bred lab (I hope thats true) not from a puppy mill or petstore

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
see Amy - I don't think "bite me" works for somebody who is concerned about puppy mills and byb
I think it is a hostile response to what I took as a real question - if the question was hostile I can your response being perfect mind you ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Personally, I would tell them that I have two rescues now, will have more in future, but that at this point I want a pure-bred puppy from a reputable breeder. If they know me, they'll know the reason. If they don't know me, the reason is none of their business

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I think it depends on why you think they asked the question.

If it is a legitimate question, give them a real answer.

If it is asked as a way to denigrate you and they have their own biological children, ask them why they didn't adopt.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dwecks answer is great to passerbys - if it's somebody you have a more ongoing relationship with something like
it's great that you are so well educated
we have chosen to buy a purebred dog at this time because (whatever fits- we want a puppy- we have always wanted a lab whatever)
we have done our research very carefully and are buying a well bred lab (I hope thats true) not from a puppy mill or petstore

Those are the answers I've given.

When told I'm only contributing to the over-population of dogs in the world by buying from a breeder, I say something along these lines ...

"I don't believe ALL breeders are only adding to our overpopulation problem because RESPONSIBLE breeders do not breed for money, they breed for a purpose, whether it be for showing, for hunting, for service/guide dogs, but a RESPONSIBLE breeder breeds to demand and generally isn't in it for the big bucks. I would never buy a dog from a puppy mill, a pet shop or anywhere the dogs are not CKC registered (and even then there are CKC breeders I won't support). If I were looking for a mutt I'd be looking at a shelter for a puppy rather than spending money on a "breeder" who thinks his lab/shepherd dogs are worth $500 or the people who sell Labradoodles as "purebred". Those people are the people who are contributing to the over population. Them and the people who refuse to have their dogs spayed or neutered and let them roam."

That being said, I know there are perfectly good reasons to NOT have a dog spayed/neutered that have nothing to do with breeding.

I hate to sound so snobby, and I know every lab has its own personality, but I can pretty much guarentee I'm going to get a great family pet who loves kids and will be loyal and loving. A dog who will enjoy the company of the cats and be friends with the other dogs in the family (my sister, parents, aunt, cousins all have dogs who meet and play). That's a lab! With a shelter dog I could end up with a pup with not such great traits! I know, too, I could end up with a great dog from a shelter, but that's not what I want.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is asked as a way to denigrate you and they have their own biological children, ask them why they didn't adopt.
AWESOME! Yup, some of them are "I only get my pets from shelters" type people and are telling me what I'm doing is basically wrong. I think 'BITE ME' is a fair response in that situation. LOL

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I hope you find a great lab - I have known many wonderfully bred dogs who have had pretty serious issues one way or another so it's all a bit of a crap shoot to me. However I do not think that buying from a good breeder contributes to the overpopulation issue at least not in my neck of the woods ;)

I think your answer is great - but I do think the people who advise not engaging the nutbars are making a point too.

Hang in there - once you have cute puppy pictures people should shut up and go awwwwwwww

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
see Amy - I don't think "bite me" works for somebody who is concerned about puppy mills and byb
I think it is a hostile response to what I took as a real question - if the question was hostile I can your response being perfect mind you
JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My REAL response would be, and has been : I would in a ssecond, however, I've been down that road before and my heart just can't handle the problems and illness we went through before. I carefully chose a breeder who breeds responsibly and has all necessary health clearances, etc.".

·
Registered
869 Posts
I explain to them I already adopted one dog and that going to a breeder was my choice for my second dog. In the end our choices don't have to be justified to anybody else.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
All of my dogs prior to the puppy I have now have been rescues. Including the 3 year old Lab I have who was diagnosed with diabetes at 18 months old.

I am pretty much at my limit in paying for and managing a chronic medical condition - which is why I went with a puppy from a reputable breeder. I know that it is not a guarantee that there will be no problems with this animal, but I feel that knowing his lineage and his having come from cleared stock, I am being as careful as I can be.

The problem of overpopulation is not being driven by responsible breeders. This person's energies should perhaps be directed towards those who are truly the source of the problem - the puppy millers, the BYBers and the average pet owner who feels that their dog needs "just one litter".

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My REAL response would be, and has been : I would in a ssecond, however, I've been down that road before and my heart just can't handle the problems and illness we went through before. I carefully chose a breeder who breeds responsibly and has all necessary health clearances, etc.".
I like that answer better - sheeeeeessssssshhhhhh - can't help being me ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
:)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I'd take a tip from Ann Landers (or was it Dear Abby?):

A polite smile and "thank you for your opinion", repeated as needed if they persist in the comments.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts