Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had to close up the house. The heat is coming. It only got to about 82 but I was worried about the dogs. We keep our AC here at 70. Yes at times it gets a bit chilly. What about you?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We have always been interested in energy conservation, and also keeping our electric bill down. We have an all electric newer home, with a geothermal heat pump. We keep the heat at 68 or 69 in the winter, and when we turn the air on, it's usually around 75 or 76. We haven't turned it on yet this year, but it was 80 in the house yesterday in late afternoon. It had cooled off to 71 in the morning. We have good cross-ventilation with the windows in our house. But mostly I just LOVE to have the windows open and hear the outside sounds. I hate having to close it up in the summer for the air conditioning - but eventually we will.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im right with you on the windows being open after we got the new ones. It saddens me to have everything closed up. Im just worried about the dogs.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Usually we keep it somewhere between 70-75

Here in the trailer we keep it around 75 or 77 unless it's REALLY hot out then we kick it to 70

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Living in the Midwest, but trying pinch our pennies, we set the temp at 64 in the winter. During summer, I love to open the windows. I put a fan in the window which sucks out the warm air. If it does get too hot, we turn on our AC and set it to 78. As long as the humidity is gone from the house, 78 is just fine.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Right now we are on the evaporative cooler so we keep it 72 to 74. It is much cheaper to run and as long as the humidity is low (dew point ebelow 48 or so) it is quite comfortable. Once the temps get above 110 or dew point goes about 50 we go to the A/C. Then we keep it around 78 to 82. But we have a pool so if we are warm we just jump in for a few minutes.

The other advantage of the evap is we can leave the doors open for Cinnamon and Cierra at times as the requires either the windows be cracked or you install up draft ducts (which we have) into the attic to work properly.

We generally do March through late June or July on the evap. Then July to Sept on AC and then back to the evap.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
We keep the central air at 74º and the heat 74º during the day and around 70º at night.

·
0 Posts
We built our house with no air conditioning. With all the windows and doors open we normally have a beautiful amount of air flow. Add cieling fans and it is perfection. Lynn and I just hate to shut up the house and both dislike air conditioning.

In the dead of summer the house might get in the 70s and a bit humid. But, there are maybe only two or three evenings a summer where it really feels sticky.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
75 or 76. When it hits 78-79 then I turn the a/c on. In the winter I keep it between 70 and 72.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
AC I keep at 74 during the day and 67 or 66 at night. I have ceiling fans in just about every room too.

Heat I keep at 68 during the day and 56 at night.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Winter 64-66 when I'm home, 60-62 when I'm not. Summer, I try and keep things open as long as possible but when the hot and humid days come. I put an AC on to 76F mostly to get rid of the humidity and keep it comfy for the dogs.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
AC when home 72-73 - goes to 75 when we are out. Heat 70, 68 when sleeping and when we are out

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
The air conditioning stay at 78 during the day and 72 at night. In the winter the heat is at 72 during the day and 63 at night. If it wasn't for the SU, in the winter I'd keep it lower.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Man I must be really warm blooded or something. I keep my house cooler than everyone else's, especially in the winter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts