Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelby is 13 weeks today. When she wakes up in the morning (she goes the whole night without having to go out) she is HYPER!! Understandably-she's been in her crate all night. I'd like to get some ideas of what you do with your dogs to let them effectively expend their energy and settle down so that I'm not getting attacked in the morning. :) When she wakes (about 5am) up one of us will bring her outside so she can go to the bathroom-she poops and pees. She comes in to eat and drink, then goes back out to pee. If my husband gets up with her he will throw the ball for her in our backyard (200 ft deep) for about 15 minutes then bring her in so he can feed our daughter her breakfast. When I'm done getting ready for work I will take her for a 15 minute walk. If I get up with her she goes for her walk after breakfast and Paul throws the ball with her after I leave for work. In between her activity though-she is just CRAZY :). She's jumping and nipping and sometimes flat out biting. I realize she's a baby so I'm not expecting her to eat, pee and then just lay there, but is there something more or less I should be doing to help her begin our day a little less painfully-my hands are starting to look like I've crawled through barbed wire to get to work ;). And if it's just the "morning crazies" that's fine-I just want to know that that's what it is and not to expect any different.

Kelly

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I'd say that your puppy is totally normal. As you say, she has been cooped up in the crate all night so she has a LOT of pent up energy. I think what you are doing is great --a short walk (you can extend that time as she ages) and a really good play session. You have an good sized yard so take full advantage of that. A mental workout might also help. Even if she only knows a few commands, run her through some puppy push-ups -- sit, down, sit, down, sit, down, etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds normal to me too! ;) My gus is a nut bar in the morning and when he was that age the biting was an issue. Lots of 'no bite' and redirection to appropriate chew items and as trickster said a bit of a mental work out is good too. She'll grow out of the nippy bitey faze pretty soon as long as your consistent - Good Luck. ;D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. We do the mental work too-more so at night, but she does get some in the morning. It seems a little counter productive at times in the morning. We do it to redirect her nippiness, but then when she does what she's supposed to-sit, lay down, leave it-and we go to give her reward she just lunges for that and we end up getting bit anyway ::). We work with pulling the reward back, making her start over, repeating "easy" when we give her the treat-she's getting better, but she still lets me know how sharp those puppy teeth are ;) . You guys telling me that your dogs are/were like this gives me a little boost in the "she will outgrow it" mindset. Thanks

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Kelly! :D

Oh boy, this really sounds like Angus. Only his "witching hour" was between seven and eight at night. Every night, like clockwork. I remember the "barbed wire" look very well. ;)

How about some obedience training too? Just a few minutes will help expend a little mental energy. I found that when we were training was the only time I could count on Angus to be "good."

Not sure if you can find time for this in your morning routine, but maybe you can try it for about ten minutes and see if it helps?

ETA after reading your last post: YES, she will outgrow it. :) For a long time it will seem like you are beating your head against a brick wall and not making an iota of progress. But just keep doing what you are doing, and one day you will be amazed. ;D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Our pup is 13 weeks also, and she is EXACTLY like this in the morning. I feel your pain ;). We do the same thing you are doing with playing fetch and/or a short walk. Sometimes I give her something yummy to chew on (marrow bone, bully stick or pork skin) so I can have a break and read the paper. I'm kind of grouchy in the morning!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sblab said:
Our pup is 13 weeks also, and she is EXACTLY like this in the morning. I feel your pain ;). We do the same thing you are doing with playing fetch and/or a short walk. Sometimes I give her something yummy to chew on (marrow bone, bully stick or pork skin) so I can have a break and read the paper. I'm kind of grouchy in the morning!
Me too-not a trait I'm proud-LOL. Just a few minutes to make and have my coffee without getting nipped in the back of a thigh...is that too much to ask for :'(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts