Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure how to title this thread, but wanted to get peoples input. I keep Skippy and Emilu in a lovely outdoor kennel "DogTown" during the day when we are away. They are with me otherwise. As Skippy gets older, he doens't always want to go out in the morning, and I have been letting him stay in the house on occassion. He has had diarrhea the last couple of days and has had 2 horrible accidents in the house while we were at work. We have throughly cleaned it with the carpet shampooer, but it is still damp where he peed (assuming it is oozing up from the carpet pad) and still smells.

My question is, for those of you who keep their dogs in all the time, whether loose or in crates - what do you do if they get sick? If he had been in a crate, he would have had to stay there with all that poop, but I can't have him loose and pooping on the carpet. So what do you do? I guess I've been really lucky in that they haven't ever been sick all that much.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Sorry to hear that Skippy isn't feeling well, Pat. :(

Ollie is still crated during the day but we haven't had any accidents in his crate *knock wood*, and Henry is free in the house... bless his heart, even if he has to pee really REALLY bad or if he isn't feeling well, he somehow manages to hold it until his feet hit the grass. Hen has never had an accident in the house (past puppy potty training, that is!).

I do come home at lunch for them both, so the longest they're ever alone is 4 or 5 hours max.

Maybe gate Skippy in the kitchen or laundry room? Somewhere where the floor is easier to clean?

Hope Skippy feels better soon!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
yup - it rarely happens here too (dog sick enough for me to worry about leaving them but still willing to go to work) but if it were I'd gate them into my bathroom at the old house and probably the laundry room/kitchen here

I'm glad you are hearing him in his old age ;)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm sorry he's not feeling well ... I hope he feels better soon. Cybil was crated until she was about 5 years old when we weren't home and when she wasn't crated if she wasn't feeling well we would confine her to the kitchen.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Pat, do you know what's causing the diarrhea?

I would definitely keep him in, but gate him somewhere where there are no carpets.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I can't remember when any of them went in the house; a few cases of vomit. It's really not much of a problem unless you have carpeting. I sweep the floors every day and think that all of that hair and dirt could never be thoroughly cleaned out of a carpet.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
we are lucky we dont have carpet in our home. But Milly always seems to go to her bed to vomit or pee if she's inside and can't hold it or doesn't feel well which is more of a pain than cleaning wood laminate floors!!! *rolls eyes* I am sure she is trying to keep my floors clean for me lol..... But I would do as other's suggested if possible and confine him to a non-carpet area of your home?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Aw poor Skippy :( Diarrhea is nasty to clean up... I know how that is!

Abbey had really nasty diarrhea from Giardia when she was a pup and when she was crated, she tried to poop OUTSIDE of the crate, so basically there was nasty stuff all over the side of the crate and outside of it on the floor and a pair of my flip-flops. :eek:

I agree with the others.. maybe a bathroom (if big enough) or a laundry room? That way it's not carpet you have to clean up.. just wiping it off the tile/linoleum/whatever.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Last week when Homer was very sick I ended up letting him out at night (where they stay while I´m away from home). I left him in my fully gated garage with access to a room where his doggie house, water and supplies are. He made a "tantrum" the first night (because Misha stayed inside with me) but afterwards I left both dogs out during the night. Sorry but I was not going to clean up accidents inside my house! (and it was better for him because indeed he had to go several times to the bathroom during a couple of nights)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Thank God Nellie has only been sick once in the house and she was smart enough to go down to the basement to do it. I think I would babygate her in the kitchen if I knew she was going to be sick.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
If it's not a messy throw up or poop thing, but feet or surgical - I crate.
If messy - I end up leaving them in the downstairs...Morgan ALWAYS goes on the throw rug by the backdoor - Harley unfortunately whereever she happens to be - but not fair for them to be crated with the mess - so I just "deal" when I get home - up to and including cleaning the entire floors carpet that day if necessary. Sigh!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
i use my bissell. thank goodness for that. if i know a dog has issues i gate them in an area i don't mind if there is an accident. i cannot tell you how many throw rugs i have gone through in my kitchen. we buy them cheep for that reason.
Thankfully i have not had to bust out that bissell in a few months since Cinder's food change!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I'm sorry that Skippy's not feeling well, Pat. I believe that I've posted a few of Theo's most spectacular episodes. (The all-time winner has to be diarrhea on the carpet which was then "cleaned up" and thrown up on our bed.) The few times that Theo has been sick in the house he's either tried to clean it up by eating it, or has done it in a place he thinks is out of the way (e.g., under the dining room table). Poor guy. Unfortunately, we are required to have wall-to-wall carpeting downstairs because we have a neighbor below. Honestly, he's not sick much but when he is I try to stay home. And if I can't, I just let him do where he will and I always keep a gallon or two of Nature's Miracle on hand--I don't know what else to do. We installed extremely stain-resistant carpeting, which has been a blessing. I wouldn't crate him--I couldn't bear the thought of him not being able to hold it and then having to lie in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry that skippy is sick. lola one day had diarrhea in the house woke up to a nasty smell. that day i took her out. it was already about 6am. but she had diarrhea the whole day so we tried to crate her thinking she would let us know that she had to go. didn't work pooped inside the crate. so we had no other choice but to have her sleep outside till she got better. just depends what you feel comfortable doing. but yea you should find out whats giving him diarrhea.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have decks on the front and back of the house, with doggie doors onto both decks.

Husband installed gates on the decks and we simply shut them when we're gone. Allows the dogs to be inside/outside safely. Back deck is 4 steps from the ground, so we put up a 6x6 ft kennel along the side of the deck, with a ramp that the dogs can use to get from the deck onto the grassy area in the kennel. Gives them a poop/potty spot while we're gone.

We've used this scenario for 10 years with 5 dogs...required some setup, but it's worked really, really well. I feel much better knowing they have a safe bathroom outlet should we be delayed at work.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
We have decks on the front and back of the house, with doggie doors onto both decks.

Husband installed gates on the decks and we simply shut them when we're gone. Allows the dogs to be inside/outside safely. Back deck is 4 steps from the ground, so we put up a 6x6 ft kennel along the side of the deck, with a ramp that the dogs can use to get from the deck onto the grassy area in the kennel. Gives them a poop/potty spot while we're gone.

We've used this scenario for 10 years with 5 dogs...required some setup, but it's worked really, really well. I feel much better knowing they have a safe bathroom outlet should we be delayed at work.
This sounds so ideal. I dream of something like this.

Pat, I'm so sorry Skippy isn't feeling well. I have wondered the same thing, too...what we would do. Simon had diarrhea once in his crate while we were gone (in between the lunchtime check and getting home). Oh, what a mess. Thankfully we had his crate in the kitchen, so the cleanup could have been much worse. But poor Simon, he had to be in it at least a couple of hours before we got home. He has not been very agreeable about the crate ever since, and I don't push it really, because I'm sure that was horrible for him. :(

As it is now, I suppose I would baby-gate in the kitchen if one of them were sick.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
When Tal had his bout of dirrahea, he was in the kitchen so it wasn't a big deal. I got him to the vet that day and thankfully, they gave him a shot so he could control his bladder. When Barney had whipworms last year, I watched him carefully, fortunately I could be home alot since it was summer. When he did have an occasional accident on the carpet, I have a Bissell carpet cleaner that works like a charm. He once had to go so bad while in his crate he also pointed everything out of the crate. I think like everybody else, I would just gate them in the kitchen if I knew they were sick. At keast on tile it is easier to clean up.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He had diarrhea from eating something that he wasn't supposed to. I have him on antibiotics and yogurt, and he is much better now. He did go in the basement once, but we don't normally keep that door open, and I had accidently closed it the night he went in the livingroom. Our only problem now is that he also peed in the same spot, and he pees ALOT! when he goes, so now it keeps seeping up from the carpet padding. I put Nature's Miracle on it last night, so hopefully that takes care of the smell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts