Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe even a little more than pesky.

My inlaws live just outside of Toronto. They have a beautiful home in an older neighborhood. Large corner lot with an inground pool and beautiful gardens. My FIL (56) takes great pride in his lawn. It's lush and green. Because it is a corner lot, kids tend to cut right through it. One day, he was out there and some kids cut through and he asked them to please stay on the sidewalk. They got lippy and threatened him. So FIL chased them. My FIL is in great shape, he runs and plays hockey regularly. Since then, these kids (around 14yrs of age) have been bothering my inlaws.

Aside from my husband and BIL's beating the tar out of the kids- what can they do?? My kids were there this weekend and my daughter was telling me tonight- the kids sit on the sidewalk and call my FIL a dickhead old man and flip them the bird. Kick their outdoor lights and so on and so forth.

What can they do? They don't know where they live. My husband told them to record the kids and take it to the police. Would that help?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I say this only because Steve is in the industry, so it's free for us... surveillance camera. link it to a DVR in the house. they have night vision. We caught vandals last summer, downloaded the video to a thumb drive & gave it to the RCMP. Now this is expensive for the average Joe, and not worth it over some idiot kids, so If he can get a picture, do so. Or follow them. Talk to their parents. Sometimes ******* kids have ******* parents. Not always, but sometimes. If this is the case, then call police. Any chance there is a big strapping boy in your family? sometimes a slightly older, slightly more muscular "peer" telling these kids to stay off the property works better than an adult. kids figure an adult won't touch them, whereas someone only a few years older might kick their sorry asses six ways from Sunday. One thing I cannot tolerate is disrespect, it makes my blood boil.

That said, if a 14 yr old is on your property, damaging it, you are within your rights to physically remove them, if need be. And if a 14 year old kid is stupid enough to take a swing at an athletic 50 year old... then they deserve to be bounced to the curb.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I'd video them and I would make it obvious that you were filming them. That in and of itself my be enough to scare them away. Follow them and find out where they live. Get a name and ask the police to talk to them.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
forgot to add, I have a 14 year old and if I found out he was doing something like this I'd string him up and he would only see the light of day to go to and from school for a VERY long time.....however, I've learned from experience that not all parents think the same way I do. So many parents will defend a kid and deny any wrong doing no matter what so I'd be very careful about approaching them or the parents themselves.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I don't think there is much you can do about the name calling, but ruining personal property is a crime. I agree with T, take pictures, make sure you get good photos of each and everyone of their faces. This way at least the police will know who to look for if they escalate their actions to physical harm of your FIL They are most likely just a bunch of punk kids, I would follow them home and make sure they and their parents know that they will be turned into police if anymore damage gets done. Man if these were one of my kids, they would be thinking jail would be a vacation. Hope your In Laws get this settled soon.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'd pepper the area they sit and walk on his lawn with dog ****. Take that home you little brat.
LOL!!!
I've got a bratty nephew, parents always excuse his behavior but I found bluffing police action made him respectful to me. I think the picture idea is great. Go out there really bold and start taking good pics of the kids face and then tell them the police are being involved and make them aware you don't mind using your video proof (even if you don't have a video) for harrassment charges.

As for crossing the lawn...really can't keep kids off, they will always take the short cut. This is why I would never want a corner lot.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Fence the yard to prevent kids from cutting through.

Obviously record the kids' misbehavior and taunts with a camcorder.

Turn it over to the police if warranted.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Call your police department and ask them to stop by for a conversation. Ask them what the kids have to do before you can actually file a complaint.

IF you have a good department there, they will stop by and ask the kids for ID and let their parents know of the antisocial behavior. The goal of the police would be to prevent it from escalating. If the parents are responsible, they kids will get the message.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Have him call the police first, and see what can be done and what evidence they need. We used to live across the street from an elementary school, and 13 - 15 year old kids hung out there all the time (picking on little kids, vandalizing playground equipment, etc.). My SU got out the video camera and started taping them, and they didn't come back.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
My Mom had this problem for a while. We could not figure out why her hedge was being damaged and plants trodden on. Eventually she sees some kids doing it and goes out to talk with them but gets a mouth full of abuse. Next time they are there she stays in the house and calls the police instead. The police showed up just in time to catch them. They took them back to their parents house and told the parents they could be prosecuted for criminal damage if they did it again. Did not have a problem after that.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Not to mention fences are expensive!

I agree with T, take pictures, make sure you get good photos of each and everyone of their faces.
That. I think he should walk right outside with the camera when they are there, and make sure they see him taking pics!!

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
IF my teenager done something like that I would beat their ass. Guess their parents don't know or don't care what their kids are doing.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
When they are sitting out there I'd just walk straight up to them with a camera and take their photos and tell them you are taking it to the police and their parents. See what they say.
I think the best would be if you could also some how find out exactly where they live. That way when you threaten with the whole "I am telling your parents" and they come back with "you dont even know where I live" you can rattle their home addresses. Hopefully that will scare them enough. If not, now you know where they live and take it up with the parents and tell them if their kids don't stop...you are going to the police...

I love how disrespectful a lot of children are these days...sad!

PS: if someone already suggested something like this...sorry I didn't go through and read everyone's post :(

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
IF my teenager done something like that I would beat their ass.
Me too! :boxing: I am pretty sure that my kids are more afraid of me than they are of the police.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts