Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big debate going on in our school system right now. Teachers/Coaches are not allowed to use corporal punishment (believe it or not there are some schools in Missouri who still paddle). That isn't the problem as they all feel they should NOT be hitting/spanking students.
The problem is with the definition. A teacher was reprimanded by the superintendent for giving a student(who had acted up in class) the option of going to the office or doing push ups. The student decided to do the push ups . Another student wrote all over his desk and the teacher made him clean it off. This teacher too was reprimanded by the superintendent who said that was corporal punishment. Coaches have been told that they can not make a players run as punishment for missing practice/being late to practice etc.
I think this is taking things to the extreme. Many here agree and think the superintendent is covering his own butt because he is close to retirement and does not want to "deal" issues.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
If my child wrote all over a desk, I would HOPE she would be made to clean it off. If she wasn't, I would make sure she was, then she's have consequences at home as well in the form of removal of priviledges such . as for hitting, no way. I pity the person who puts their hands on my child (I just sounded like MR T "I pity the fool" :p) I don't hit my own children, so no one else is going to. ( I am assuming it is regardng minor things like talking out in class or missing a practice, not things like breaking school windows or attacking someone). I don't consider making a child clean a mess they have made (in a safe manner) corporal punishment.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
If my child wrote all over a desk, I would HOPE she would be made to clean it off. If she wasn't, I would make sure she was, then she's have consequences at home as well in the form of removal of priviledges such . as for hitting, no way. I pity the person who puts their hands on my child (I just sounded like MR T "I pity the fool" :p) I don't hit my own children, so no one else is going to. ( I am assuming it is regardng minor things like talking out in class or missing a practice, not things like breaking school windows or attacking someone). I don't consider making a child clean a mess they have made (in a safe manner) corporal punishment.
Ditto everything she said.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I used to have a class of 12 teenage boys who were there because no one else would teach them. They were the sweat hogs of the school. It was called the Alternative Room...they named it the Rubber Room :laugh: I called them My dirty Dozen. They were all labeled SED- Socially and Emotionall Disturbed and in a self contained classroom.
I used to charge push ups for cursing ALL of the time. Drop and gimme 10-25 depending on the swear word. Never had a parent complain or anyone else for that matter.

I consider corporal punishment as physical correction, spanking, paddling, etc. When I student taught in 1984, they were still paddling in this coal town in taught in. You wrote the student up and the vice principal came to the class would ask you and the student to step out into the hall and they had to assume the position. Barbaric...i never wrote up another student after that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not in our immediate school district but one just outside of, the Principal gave one of my son's friends and his partner in crime THE CHOICE. One day in ISS or licks. He was horrified but chose the licks and I heard him telling my son - MAN, that dang paddle hurt like you wouldn't believe and it had holes in it. I ran in there and said OMG, I am sooooo glad someone is doing this maybe it will become part of our school district policy. I firmly believe that if I give a teacher permission to give my son licks that it should be done but not here. In stead they make them stay out class the whole day BIG FREAKING WHOOP and the miss all their lectures and everything- like that bothers them. It's stupid :mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Paddling, rulers on the knuckles, pinching, ear pulling, etc. (all used in some form or another when I was growing up) not acceptable.

Making kids clean up their messes? Hell yes.

I also agree with coaches having kids run laps or do push ups for being late or other offenses. A) kids get WAY too little exercise and B) it was a really good way to teach us to follow the rules! We didn't want to run an extra mile after practice, and running the lines or the bleachers if we really screwed up SUCKED. It kept us in line, made us pay attention and taught us discipline, all things severely lacking in a lot of kids these days.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Our PE teacher makes the kids take laps if they are getting in trouble. I think that is totally acceptable. There are only so many times that you can say "Now children you aren't acting correctly". ::) I was told by my kids old principal that I was too strict w/ my kids. He called me because my oldest got in trouble and I said "Well he can definately find himself on restriction from teh computer and xbox for three weeks". Yeah he told me I was being too hard on him. I was like WTF because most of the times parents let their children get away w/ stuff w/ no punishment so I thought he would be relieved to have a parent on the ball. It wasn't like i was saying "I'm gonna beat that boy till he's blue" its the f'ing computer for goodness sakes.

B

·
0 Posts
OMG Wendy that guy would've thought my dad was a child abuser. I guess he was by today's standards.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Don't touch my kid. Make them clean their mess? Absolutely. I have no problem with running laps or anything involving exercise. Kids are so disrespectful these days. I don't know how teachers do it.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
BudGirl8 said:
Paddling, rulers on the knuckles, pinching, ear pulling, etc. (all used in some form or another when I was growing up) not acceptable.

Making kids clean up their messes? Hell yes.

I also agree with coaches having kids run laps or do push ups for being late or other offenses. A) kids get WAY too little exercise and B) it was a really good way to teach us to follow the rules! We didn't want to run an extra mile after practice, and running the lines or the bleachers if we really screwed up SUCKED. It kept us in line, made us pay attention and taught us discipline, all things severely lacking in a lot of kids these days.
Same here. There should be no need for any corporal punishment in school. Educators should not have to administer punishments to kids. That is the parents job! If a child is acting up enough to warrant a paddling, push ups or a ruler to the knuckles, then the parents need to bend over and assume the position.

·
Registered
578 Posts
No running for being late to practice???? That's crazy. Suicides where the ONLY reason I was on time to my softball practices. LOL. I agree with everyone else that corporal punishment is hitting, spanking, etc. Making a kid responsible for cleaning a desk he wrote on should be commended not reprimanded.

B

·
0 Posts
labs4life said:
Same here. There should be no need for any corporal punishment in school. Educators should not have to administer punishments to kids. That is the parents job! If a child is acting up enough to warrant a paddling, push ups or a ruler to the knuckles, then the parents need to bend over and assume the position.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I hate that teachers and a lot of other people outside the home are having to do a lot of jobs that should fall on parents.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I consider it anything physical. They still spank at my son's school, and he got one this year. He went from a large green to a small red, so he had a minimum of 6 warnings. He deserved it, he needed it, and you know what? Since that happened, he hasn't brought home anything but big green faces at school. I'm glad they did it! lol

I wouldn't always be so quick to judge the parents. Jake acts perfect at home and in public with us. I never would have thought the kid knew how to get into trouble. He has such a sweet nature that last year, he told me not to buy him presents for his birthday because other children needed them more. Jake really is every parents dream child so far... He met a friend in kindergarten, and the two of them got into trouble together (they've been separated). Only so much can be done at home when school is a completely new environment for them, and he acts completely different in both environments. Talking only goes so far when I'm not there to correct him...

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
omg without the threat of suicides, i would have never been on time for softball practice..for real.

What is wrong with making them run for minor infractions?

C

·
0 Posts
With one of the teachers at my old school back in England if you were caught sticking gum uner the the desk, you were made to scrape allt he gum off all the desk with a ruler :-X

I see nothing wrong with it, it is vandalism why shouldn't they clean it off lol

Running laps is fine, kids at my old school, got let off way to much they were even backchatting the teachers and the teachers were too intimidated to do anything about it. I think running laps for being late or staying after class for being late is a grand idea.

J

·
0 Posts
If I feel my kids need to be spanked, I'll do it and no one else.
If my kids makes a mess, they are gonna clean it up. If my kids act up, I see nothing wrong with a little extra exercise.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who sees things this way.
Our superintendent is really setting our schools up for some extreme discipline problems when you can't even make kids clean up after themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts