Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breakfast, Lunch and dinner here...although we do slip and call dinner supper once in a while.

I've heard people refer to lunch as dinner....Is this another one of those northern/southern--eastern/western things?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Breakfast, lunch, & dinner here.

My parents call them breakfast, dinner, and supper.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Breakfast, Lunch and dinner here
Same here. My folks say supper instead of dinner. I slipped up and said supper once and my friend laughed at me. :D

I did have a friend growing up who's family referred to lunch as "dinner" and always had a large meal. ???

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. Dinner is a bigger meal, supper is smaller, more casual...could be grilled cheese and soup, or a chef salad, etc. Dinner is a meat, at least two vegetables, and probably a salad and bread. My parents used to have Dinner at noon on Sundays, weekdays it was usually supper.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every once in awhile I'll say supper, but usually it's dinner.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My grandparents called lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper". I call it breakfast, lunch and dinner.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Dinner is, traditionally, the largest meal of the day, while supper is the last meal of the day. For some, the mid-day meal is the larger meal of the day and so you may find these are the people who refer to luncheon as dinner. Supper would then be a smaller, later meal.

I refer to the meals as breakfast, lunch and dinner, but often say supper as well.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Doyle's family has Sunday dinner every week immediately after church gets out at 12:30. Sometimes there's confusion between my dinner and HIS idea of dinner. ;)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I don't even remember anymore.

Out on my grandparents (both sets) farm, it was dinner (noon meal--largest of the day) and supper (light evening meal), so we had the same names at my house in town. However, supper was always the bigger meal here. Mom said that on the farm the noon meal was bigger to give the men fuel. :)

In my ex's family it was lunch (light) and dinner. . . .

Over the years things have gotten mixed up and who knows what i call it from day to day. I generally use lunch for the noon meal and supper for the evening meal, so I'm a hybrid LOL.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Breakfast, lunch and tea. If it is formal you invite someone for dinner, or go out for dinner.

We also have morning tea, afternoon tea and supper in between these.
Lunch is often called smoko.

N.Z.ers are very English. (When I was in the U.S. people often asked if I was English)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts