Just Labradors banner

What do you all think about this? (Dog food question)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Pandora2008 
#1 ·
Pandora started not wanting to eat dry kibble at all. I tried changing her food and everything. she would eat her hard treats and everything else, so I knew that she was okay. I mixed watered down dry kibble with a little bit of canned food and she ate it all. Guess this is how she wants her food. (I had called the vet and they said if there were any behavioral changes to bring her in, but she is still her hyper self) What do you all think about this?

#2 · (Edited)
How old is she?

Puff was eating one cup/day at 9 weeks and that gradually increased to 5 cups at around 7-9 months. At that point, she began skipping meals for a couple days and when she resumed eating again, it was a lesser amount.

We went through that several times until we reached her current level -- about 2 1/4 cups divided into 2 meals/day.

(Puff is one of the rare [<10%] "self-limiting" dogs as far as food intake is concerned.)

#3 ·
She will be 2 in June. I have tried switching foods and the only one she would even eat a little is Blue Seal Adult Formula. She is acting normal so I don't know what else to do. I really don't want her on an all wet food diet.

#4 ·
Please help

I have read a couple items that said to just put the dry food down and eventually she will get hungry and just eat it. Is this safe to do? She will eat everything except the dry food, shes still her playful self and isn't acting any different.

PS I am feeding her blue seal adult formula and have tried many others to see if she would eat and she would not touch the others, however she did eat a few pieces of the blue seal tonight (like four pieces)

#8 ·
I have read a couple items that said to just put the dry food down and eventually she will get hungry and just eat it. Is this safe to do?
That's what I do. Bauer's food goes down for 15 - 30 minutes (depending on what I am doing). If it is still there when I check back, I pick it up. It doesn't happen very often, but he has missed a meal or two . . . but never 2 in a row. I wet his food with water so I don't leave it down very long. As long as there are no medical problems, they will eat when they are hungry. I feel him Pro Plan Selects and buy a different flavor with each bag; it seems to work for him and we haven't had any problems.

#5 · (Edited)
I always add a bit of canned food and water to my dog's kibble. What's the problem? If she likes it, feed it to her. I also feed raw meals. You might try that as well. I mix up my dogs food a lot over the week, they get liver, hearts & gizzards, chicken thighs, raw patties, jack mackral, sardines, and kibble. I don't subscribe to feeding a dog the same thing every day. Dogs wouldn't eat that way if given a choice, they'd eat whatever they could find, catch, kill.

#7 ·
Check her teeth (or have the vet look). She might have a cracked tooth or an infection, if this is a brand new issue. (don't rule this out if she will still take treats - she might be stoic enough to avoid the pain in order to get a high value treat, but not stoic enough to eat boring kibble).

#9 ·
So I took Pandora to the vet today and everything health wise is good with her. The vet said that what could have happened was that at some point last week Pandora ate something that didn't agree with her and ended up with an upset stomach. The vet then went on to say that she could have associatied the upset stomach with her food and just stopped eating it. I gave her wet food, which showed here that there was something better out there, which made her continue to not want to eat her dry food. So the vet put her on pepcid for 5 days at 10mg once a day and now we have to retrain her to eat her dry food.

Thank you everyone for your opinion

What do you think about what the vet said?

#10 ·
Me too

I noticed that Bear was not eating his food today, but he was munching pretty hard on rocks, sticks and anything else out in the yard. I decided to try warm water on his Blue Buffalo and he gobbled it right down. He is almost 5 months and may be loosing his baby teeth, would that affect his eating?
Thanks,
Don

#11 ·
I always mix warm water with the dry kibble I feed (they also get a raw meal each day). By mixing the kibble with warm water, it makes a bit of "gravy" with most kibbles. I do not let it siak for vary long though, usually less than a minute or two before feeding it.

#12 · (Edited)
Your dog is training you instead of you training your dog. Put the food down for 10-20 minutes and then pick it up and don't offer food or treats until the next meal. Do this for several days if needed. They will not starve themselves. I always add water to my dog's food. Also, constantly changing foods could lead to a picky eater.

#13 ·
I got her to eat some dry kibbled softened with warm water and with a little bit of chicken broth on it and she gobbled it up. Before that I had gotten her to eat a handful of dry kibble. I think I am going to just do what everyone is saying and eventuallys he will eat when she gets hungry. I have taken her to the vet and there is no health reason why she isn't eating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.