Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm one of the younger ones on here, but I turn 21 this year and it's kind of a big deal in the US because it's when you can legally buy liquor and all of that. I know internationally it's totally different because of the culture and the drinking ages are typically MUCH younger. Many of the clubs and restaurants here won't even let you in after 9 or 10pm if you aren't 21, so I have had to miss a lot of good concerts and things of that sort just because I'm not old enough. Grr.

Anyways, I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone has done for their 21st birthday? I know my parents want to take me out and then I'll probably be killed by my friends afterwards... :laugh:

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I don't remember my 19th birthday.. so i'm betting it was a good one.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kelli said:
I don't remember my 19th birthday.. so i'm betting it was a good one.
:laugh: I'm in Michigan so when I turned 19, we went to Windsor for the night. Turned out not to be that great since I'm not much of a "let's go to the bar and spend $8 for a watered down drink" kind of person.. :laugh:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
For me it was 28 yrs. ago. I had a 5 month old infant at the time, and I'm pretty sure I spent it hanging out with him and DH quietly at home :happy: DS was in the military and spent his 21st bd doing watch in the Coast Guard and DD just hung out with family, dinner, good times and that was about it! We're pretty boring :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hope you have a great time, and maybe a little more exciting then any of us!!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Since I'm from Ontario we can do the liquor thing at 19.

For my 21st birthday a group of friends and I ventured to the Maumee Bay in OH and celebrated on the bay. That's all I remember ;) I swear.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

My 21st was spent at Uni while I was living on campus. It also just happened to coincide with my last exam for the semester and that particular night being a popular party night..While I enjoyed the night, I wasn't functional until very late the next day.
If you're the first in your group to hit 21, have a few drinks and celebrate the night. If some of your other mates are 21, go out, have a real good time and proudly show off your proof of age to every bouncer who asks for ID.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Turning 18 was the big birthday celebration. I was older than 21 when the laws changed to the current ones,for drinking etc. I don't recall it being a big deal back then. Things were different. Kids,especially males, weren't excited about turning 18 as we still had a draft and were just getting out of Vietnam.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Nothing!

Well ok I lied. I went to dinner and had a margarita. I was really sick on my 21st birthday. Lucky for me I'm not into drinking all that much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was married and 5 months pregnant with my first son when I turned 21. We held a party at home and everyone was drunk except me :'(

G

·
0 Posts
When I turned 21 I was already married with two kids and a mortgage. DW and I didn't do anything special that day. No money :no: 39 years later when I turned 60, same thing. Didn't do anything special. Had the money but too tired to celebrate :laugh:

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
It was so long ago I don't remember. What I do remember is I was 8 months pregnant, so I'm sure I didn't party any!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My boyfriend and I went out to dinner with his Mom - and then we went to the bars afterward. At one I met up with a professor of mine at the time and he bought my drinks all night :laugh: It wasn't anything crazy, because I had a final in two days and I had already been away at college for 3 years :whistle:

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Jason did a lot of me on my 21st birthday, but I wasn't in a celebrating mood. We had lost Kayla (our daughter) in April so I was still very, very depressed. I'm sure the post-pregnancy hormones weren't helping me at all either. I didn't want to do anything.

Jason arranged with my boss for me to take a few days off, he took a few days off, he sneakily packed our luggage, he got us hotel reservations and tickets, and he put me in our car one day where we drove for a few hours with me asking "Where are we going"? :)

He ended up taking me to Atlanta. We went to Six Flags, a few museums, shopping, to The Melting Pot (my fav. resturant), and some other small things. It ended up being a pretty fun birthday week, and I have no idea how he managed to plan all of that without me knowing it.

That was a long time ago...I hit the big 3-0 this year. :(

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
mine was pretty low key. i'm not a drinker so turning 21 was just like turning 18 for me. went out to dinner and did some shopping and that was about it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I remember 18 many,many years ago, because you could legally drink 3.2 beer then, so friend and I went to the big city of Toledo , went to a bar and had a beer. When I was 21, you could then drink the hard stuff and wine. I happened to be on some outdoor thing for college, and we went to someones house and I had some wine - that's it. While I love to celebrate birthdays, I've never done anything too fancy.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I was young free and single, I went out with friends and did the whole club thing which I don't really enjoy but got whisked along in the mele.

Over here 18 is the legal age for drinking so it wasn't anything new to be able to officially order a drink.

Whatever you decide to do enjoy yourself~ :happy:

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
OK I am going to sound like your mother but I have got to say it.

If you go with your friends to the bars make sure someone you TRUST with your life is with you and won't drink much. Too many 21 year olds die from Alcohol Posioning on their birthday or the weekend afterwards or end up in the hospital. Make sure that person gets you out at the first signs you are drunk not waiting until you get to the point you cannot walk.

Now here is my story for what it is worth.

I lived in Europe as a young teen so drinking was no big deal. When we came back to the states we could still have a beer or glass of wine at home and my parents thought nothing of it. The age limit was only 19 so I could go out with friends to bars long before you could. I got drunk off my tush only once and it was enough to convience me it wasn't fun so I never did it again.

But I have seen too many deaths or near deaths at the hospital I work at from people who turn 21 and feel they can drink 8 or 10 drinks. There friends think it is funny to watch them get drunk but they don't realize the danger.

Please have fun but also be careful you want to live to see 22.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My 21st birthday was a Tuesday night. The following morning at 8am was the first lab meeting for my summer research position, so I didn't do much. My boyfriend and one of his friends took me to South Street in Philly, I had one - quite enough for me - frozen drink at Fat Tuesday's, then we got lost on our way back to Villanova (I told them that turning there would take us over the bridge into Jersey, but nobody believed the tipsy girl in the backseat).

The last day of that summer internship was the 21st birthday of my lab partner and it was also Sink-or-swim night at one of the bars on the Main Line. I sank. I think the next day was the most hungover I've ever been in my life, and trying to hide it from my dad was not fun (or possible).

Now that I'm old (almost 28), I very rarely get drunk, and when I do I always wish I hadn't. I'd much rather just have one or two drinks and remain in full control of myself.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
19 years ago (yikes!). Was living in Santa Barbara and went out for sushi and drinks with a bunch of friends. I remember that it was fun, and that my boyfriend (now SU) wasn't there because he was on a surfing trip in Mexico.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts