Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What did I just get myself into? I KNOW THIS PUP!

A friend just called and said that his son and wife are going through a divorce and that they have an absolutely uncontrollable lab, 2 years old. Does not know anything at all, runs away, fence fights, etc, etc....picture every bad thing you can about an untrained lab. Neither son or DIL want the dog as is.

Will I take it for however long it takes, do what ever I have to, to make it a livable dog.

Oiy...I get it on Saturday!

Edit to add: My friend has had it for two days and said he could have killed it today....hmmmmm this may just turn into a paid rescue

OOOOOO, It just came to me who this pup is!! IT IS BELLE'S GRANDDAUGHTER!!!!! OMG

Can we say boiling blood in my ears now!

·
Registered
601 Posts
He'll be worth it in the long run, you knows it. :)

Lots and lots and lots of exercise for the troublesome boy, that's my biggest offer. :D

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Good luck, sounds like you're gonna have your hands full with that boy.

I am sure you'll turn him into a well-behaved labby boy in short order.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like a big job. But remember it's not the pup's fault. I'm sure you'll be able to bring him around (then would you like to give Gus a few lessons?)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
He might just need some discipline, lots of exercise and ... love! If they're going through a divorce then I bet he's been ignored for quite a while.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
He might just need some discipline, lots of exercise and ... love! If they're going through a divorce then I bet he's been ignored for quite a while.
I agree and the love and discipline go hand in hand. You'll do good no doubt. You may question your state of mind a few times but in the long run, you are saving it's life. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sorry, but your friends son and his wife are a-holes. They obviously got this pup without researching, gave it no training, probably left him alone for long periods of time (hence fence fighting), I doubt he got any love or attention at all. Poor baby. :mad:

He'll probably fold under the attention you give him, Karen. Will you keep us posted on his progress? :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Lots of exercise, attention, love, discipline, and routine and you will have a wonderful boy, Karen.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I didn't know that you put any dogs out on full registration. What a bummer.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't know that you put any dogs out on full registration. What a bummer.
Yeesh, how did that happen? Have they contacted whoever bred the dog?
I did not sell the dam under full registration. I knew it had been bred, after the fact. While the pups can not be registered, it did not matter to the owners of the resulting pups. (a lot of people do not care about registration) The stud is a very nice hunting lab belonging to a well know goose guide in SW Michigan. The owners of the dam (Belle's daughter) had her spayed after the litter, and have since moved. The pups should have been very good dogs, but with out attention, it apparently turned into a wild child (which considering Belle and Kodi does not surprise me. I hate to think of what they would have turned out like if they did not a a "job" in life!).

I am glad though that I am going to have the opportunity to get the dog back and give it the opportunity to live up to its potential. Even if my friend ends up with it (he is the father to the wife in the divorce), it will have an awesome life. Truth be known I am glad the breeder (owner of Belle's daughter) did not get it back!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I am convinced that giving them gentle, firm discipline, lots of exercise, love, and let them play and just be a dog makes life a whole lot easier for them and us. Not to mention the bond that grows between you! Good luck, and vent away when things get a little frustrating!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I don't think I'd be giving her back. :mad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts