Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fed chewable probiotics to my dog for a while but ran out and never re-ordered...now that we are almost in vacation season again I thought maybe they might benefit from some probiotics again. Gus gets terrible runs when boarded. Where do you buy yours? and what kind? TIA. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I know a lot of people that have good luck with Purina's Fortiflora.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enzymes
recommended dose is 1/2 a teaspoon daily per 50lbs. Cost is about $35 for a 2 pound container. I have been using it here for amost 3 years now.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I've been using the BacPak N-zymes (found online, but I got a local groomer to carry them to seriously reduce our costs!) for years now. They are as concentrated as anything I've seen, and my holistic vet was impressed as well and he has his own line (very expensive!). Dosing is only 1/8 teas for big dogs. I calculate that my food bill is ~25% less. Anne

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I've been using the BacPak N-zymes (found online, but I got a local groomer to carry them to seriously reduce our costs!) for years now. They are as concentrated as anything I've seen, and my holistic vet was impressed as well and he has his own line (very expensive!). Dosing is only 1/8 teas for big dogs. I calculate that my food bill is ~25% less. Anne
I too feel that since giving probiotics my dogs eat less. I mean I have a 94 (he lost a pound) dog who eats 2 cups a day. Most people are shocked to hear that because they are feeding 3-4 cups a day.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I too feel that since giving probiotics my dogs eat less. I mean I have a 94 (he lost a pound) dog who eats 2 cups a day. Most people are shocked to hear that because they are feeding 3-4 cups a day.
Yes, other than my 5 mos old puppy (4c) and the one nursing (10C already and thin-- it's all going to milk!), none of mine eat over 2 cups a day and they are active! It has to be helping w/ optimizing the good nutrients in as well. I'm a believer. With moms (including the "nanny moms") cleaning up puppy butts, believe me, I think it's good to have those probios in their tummies for that reason too! :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've been giving Mo Purina FortiFlora. He's on lots of antibiotics dealing with Lepto/Hepatitis. I think he is slowing but surely getting better. If he is eating really well. I'm able to use it. If not, he'll turn his nose up if I've put it on his food :( It's been a challenge, but I know he'll get better. He has his 11th birthday coming up on 5/17 :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I use First Choice Naturals 4 in 1 probiotics. Shane's breeder started him on it and I've continued with it for both my dogs. It's a powder and I just sprinkle it in their food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts