Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much happening in this section lately... so, what are you doing with your dog these days? Post a little bit about what you've been up to.

At my house, the pool is OPEN officially (had a new liner put in). Dogs have been swimming every day this week and are pooped out. We've not used the pool most of the winter.

We've also been working on agility for an upcoming trial, Ruger has been working hard at the weaves, entry by himself and doing them all (he keeps screwing them up at trials).

Remington has been working a little bit on everything and a LOT on his tunnels exits. We've been making a big deal out of his tunnel exits (big jackpots of cheese). Hoping he won't stay and play in the tunnels at our next trial ;)

Spring is my "vet" time. My horse saw the vet today. Magnum goes for her checkup on Thursday and then I will schedule for Ruger and then Remington. I hate springtime, it's expensive!!!

So, what's up in your neck of the woods...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'm still mostly working with one who's not my own, Hapi a 9 month old Dalmatian. He was a horrible blank slate, and I thought he'd kill me (I took pictures of the bruises and scrapes...my finger is still broken though, awaiting surgery...), but I've perservered, and so has Hapi, and he's monumentally better. His vet and his breeder (one of the tops in Canada) recommended euthanizing him just 4 weeks ago, he was THAT bad. Tonight he learned shake a paw, and his owner's wife started to cry. He's been spending weekends at my house, learning appropriate behaviours from, if you can believe it, my Ginny Monster, who is better at teaching than she is just being herself! The other dogs owners in his class just see Hapi as the psycho Dalmatian, but tonight, someone said 'Look, Hapi is looking at Melissa' and it made my heart happy to know someone realized its not all about sitting and staying. He's taught me that. Little steps.

On my front, Rhys is having an upper GI tomorrow, to find out if the strictures of his esophagus are back, he's having a rough time swallowing and is retching a lot, even on muscle relaxers.

Ruby is GREAT, not doing much with her because of HapiDal, but she's on my lap as we speak, er type.

Gin, well Gin and her littermate Marshall are prepping themselves for the great pilgrimidge to Frederick Maryland for the Potomac Lab specialty...anyone else going? She's just restarting the novice class (we're week 2) as I think a solid foundation is soooo important, she's retaking it until I'm happy with her attention and positioning. She's a gift though, after her mother Ruby, I'll tell you, natural aptitude goes a long way for sure at my house. She is a willing and happy baby and I am in no hurry to squash that.

Mostly just enjoying the puppers, and being grateful I have labs and NOT Dalmatians!!!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Training a wild child 16 wk old on live pigeons, obed, and baby agility, running her mom in agility again, tending to one pregger aunt due in 3 wks, training the other aunt and the 2yo at open obed level, and just hugging my old coot in my spare time. :D Anne

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Still plugging away at agility with Peanut, she's in the "advanced" class now. With Baloo it's all about exposure exposure exposure, so we've been trying to hit petsmart to train. He went to the matches (rally and obedience) at the sportsman's show last week and was pretty good. We got some great feedback and advice. His heeling improved, did the heel-free dragging a line and only had one minor mess up. :) The only thing that really bothered me was that he shuffled feet on the SFE, something he has NEVER done, *sigh*.

So that's us. Pretty well same old at this point. I'm going to try and hit more matches with Baloo to hopefully ready him for trials in the late spring/summer, but we'll see. I'm also really hoping to get Peanut in the agility ring this year, so we'll be working on that. One of my mom's friend's has an agility field that he's offered to let us use, so I'll be practicing with both dogs on that when the weather cooperates. With Baloo mostly just for fun, as I don't think he really has the body type to be able to do agility safely at full height and intensity.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Well, spring is in the area in Ohio. Had Caleb outside working him some on his obedience. We're entered in another trial this weekend. When he gets it all together, notice I did say "when" he'll be awesome. I've been going different places to work on his go-outs. We'll see about his out-of-sites.

Micah continues to learn and amaze me. What a boy! So much about him I like for obedience. We're having fun and even started scent discrimination work with him. He certainly is his own little man and has his own drum beat. But I love his attitude and those hopeful eyes! They get me every time! Not sure he'll fill out enough for the breed ring, but that is ok.

Show season is in full swing around here so I'm carefully scheduling shows to not wear Caleb out but still have him out enough. We're going to Canada for sure in July--the obedience judges are really good for us so I hope to finish Caleb's Canadian UD. I'll probably put Micah in Rally Novice up there for the fun of it.

Between the training center, training and the blog, I have certainly been busy. Tuesdays and Thursdays I leave before 9 a.m. and get home around 10 p.m. Long days which means I'm beat on Wednesdays and Fridays--my normal days for doing stuff around the house. So, I try to get my cleaning, laundry and cooking in. Have not even had a chance to do anything in the yard. The bathroom is about done but I still need to get the new border up.

Aren't you sorry you ask! LOL

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
We are chugging along in Obedience Miss Milly and I. We have aways to go and she's starting to try my patience in her manners at Obedience and at home. I thought Labs were naughty and disobedient up until they were 1? Not a 15 month old lab with 11months work of solid obedience training and plenty of exercise? *sigh* ... I do hope she grows out of it.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Still at loose ends here, no trainer and no practice facility. Think I'm going to work on Sophie's manners here to see if I can get her CGC this summer.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great updates everyone, thanks for posting. It's nice to sit down a read a bit of your lives now and again :)

We should do this more often!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Kodi and I are campaigning for her UDX this year and will dabble in UKC Rally. I doubt we'll get many OTCH points considering the competition we are with, but we will keep plugging away. She is a very very special little girl!

I am training Hoss for Novice obedience, UKC Rally and most importantly, Seasoned Hunt Tests. He has two more passes to go, but we have a lot to do in water blinds. (Picture UKC gloves at 60 yards, and the gloves hidden in tall grass!).

I have a 10 month old in for training. We are 1 1/2 weeks into force fetch. She is in standing heat right now, so her brains are leaking out her butt, but progress is being made. She is soooo soft that even a collar pop shuts her down, so I have to be really careful about how I progress with her.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Working with Jake on polishing his RA stuff, and getting the RE things down. We're pretty much ready for Novice, except for SFE - I'm always training by myself, so I've never got an examiner lol. I need to bribe some of my classmates to help me out.

I had a "back up in heel" breakthrough the other night. Jake's been sitting and backing up from a sit lately - I looped the leash under his front leg and voila! It's very hard to sit with the down pressure on the neck and he backed right up like normal. Woohoo! It's a little more forceful than I like (I usually like to have him understand without my physical force) but it worked and he isn't stressed :)

Whatever happened to the member from Arizona whose daughter showed too? How is she? Anyone hear from her?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've not heard anything from Lydia about Murray or Essy in a long long time. I hope she's doing okay. Wish she'd come back and post now and again. I miss her, and the fun times she had with Murray in the ring.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
the dogs and I just waiting for the snow to thaw.
I want to continue to work with Lily in obedience and agility and play around with some dock training. But I feel we have a few more weeks before I see ground.
I have visions of Lily finishing her CD and getting her RE (*gasp*) and some day, in our lifetime an AKC agility title.
Thankfully Thursdays are my standing day off at work and advanced obedience classes are on Thursday nights.
I'd like to get Rhum started in some starter agility classes some day soon.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Nothing nothing and more nothing
I don't have the key to my equipment at the moment - so need to hook up to get it moved back to a place I might use it
Brody is cleared to use equipment in 2 weeks - we MAY go straight to trial with him
Sally has done nothing so the thought of launching her at a trial is a bit scary but I could do a gamblers class maybe just for doing it ...
thea is visiting her aunt judy but I may drag her out to trial just for fun and only do make my own courses so I'm not tempted to overface her ...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm continuing to work with Henry in Open and we are making great strides with his dumbbell issues. :) We still have a long way to go, but if it never comes, it won't be the end of the world, I'm not going to force him. It is unfortunate though, because he does all of the rest of the Open exercises sooo beautifully. He just doesn't "get" sitting in front with the DB. He'll go out and retrieve it on the flat and over the jump no problem, but spits it out as he comes front. :rolleyes:

I'd love to do Utility with him, if only the exercises... I think he'd have a blast with the scent articles and directed jumping!

Ollie, my wild child! We have finished Competitive Puppy 1 and have started Competitive Puppy 2 classes... tonight we started building the foundations for go-outs and directed jumping. I'm just sooo thrilled with him... he's sooo freakin' smart and picks up new concepts in just a few repetitions.

I also have him in a Level One obedience class just for distraction training but I think I may need to move him up into Level Two. He was easily the best behaved and trained puppy of the lot. We need a challenge!!

Also attempting to do conformation with Ollie, as well as field training! I would love to do some rally with him this year as well.

So, our plate is heaping full right now, and I love it! Can't think of a better way to spend my free time. :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm taking Emilu to class every Thursday, and this 8 weeks am also helping to teach the next class - basic obedience- which my instructor also teaches. We have 14 dogs in the class and I think I have almost all the dogs names memorized at least. Show season is starting soon - I'll be showing Emilu in RAE classes, and probably one Novice Obedience - if she does OK there, we'll try Open again. Went to a match several weeks ago and that was good experience for her. Skippy hasn't gone to "official class" for quite a while because he and Emilu would be in the same class, and she loves it so much I just can't keep her from it.So now he rides along in the car so he thinks he's not being left behind. I would still love to get his RN, but he needs some more ring/dog experience. I would also still love to get Emilu's WC, but not sure if I can work this in. There's just not enought time in the week! I"m not working with them as much at home as I would like too, but now that it's staying light later, we can work more after dinner. Also starting to spend quite a bit of time working in the yard and garden.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Amber is entered in Junior Hunter on April 4th, WCX on April 5th, I am Chairman for a hunt test on April 18-19th, on April 23rd I am helping the Golden club set up Agility for their regional , Amber is entered in Open Obedience on April 24th (LRCSC Specialty), And also entered in Agility on April 25th and 26th at a show I am Chief course builder for.
So same old stuff.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The Cavs are entered in some agility trials..Robbie hoping to get him out of Novice jumpers and standard in the next few trials and start his Excellent Fast title..Also hope to finish his CD this year as he needs just one more leg..He's not ready for open so we will work on that this year..He'll be in Rally Advance so will try to do that too when we go to an obedience trial..

Cedar is starting to trial too..Needs one more leg for his Novice FAST title..he still needs a little weave pole work to get some standard and jumpers legs..Once I finish Robbie's CD I will start putting him in obedience Novice and he is in Rally Advance too now...

Flyer is doing some beginning agility training..will probably try to get him in our obedience or Rally class too..

Riley still the world's best couch potato and my sweet boy enjoying retired life.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm continuing to compete with Kona in the UDX classes at shows or sites I like or to support clubs. Since January we have picked up one OTCH point, 21 master obed. points, and another UDX leg. We have completed 9 RAE legs and I hope to complete the RAE title with Kona at the Potomac this year. I will be entering Kona in JH tests this year. I may consider competing with Kona in UKC after May when he turns 8 yo ......... veteran's jump height.

Bo is coming along ......... continue showing him in Rally novice B for show experience. He will start training for field this year. I have taught him articles and he is doing well with it. I will continue teaching him all the obedience exercises but don't plan on entering him until next spring in Novice.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, I'm loving this thread. Thanks so much to everyone for the great updates!!

Looks like many of us have some goals set for the upcoming shows. Inspite of the economy, let's all try to make our goals a reality!!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Well I started out by missing the closing date on the first show I was planning for Emilu, and cutting it darn close for the second one - got to get my ducks in a row here!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts