Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please watch this video and let me know what you think. Is this normal puppy behavior, or is he a dominant aggresive type. Also is my older lab behaving ok with the new puppy? The puppy doesn't EVER give up it seems. He pesters and pesters her. Even if she snaps at him he comes back for more. I'm a little worried. I don't want to deal with the a 50 pound dominant dog!! Any advice would be appreciated! I should also say the puppy is 9 1/2 weeks old and Kayla is four.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09pAhNZi6N8

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The puppy is acting totally normal. He wants your older dog to play with him and he's going nuts trying to get her to. :) Phoebe, my almost 4 year old lab, did the exact same thing with her little beagle cousin Winston when she first met him. They're great buds now. :) If your older dog gives him attitude it's probably that she's putting him in his place and teaching him not to be annoying. LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had this little of a puppy for so very, very long and the last one we had this little turned out to be very aggressive. I think I'm paranoid!! Thanks for the encouragement. I'll take as much as I get!!! :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
That was sooo cute! Yes, very normal lab play!

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Adorable and completely normal. He just wants to play.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
totally normal.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
That is too funny! My puppy was SO interested in yours barking his little head off.

He is trying REALLY hard to get your older dog to play with him! She appears less than interested. Maybe when he is a little bigger she will have more interest in him. For now - I would make sure to keep her collar off while she is in the house. You don't want his jaw catching on her collar and him getting hurt.

I would play with him a lot if she won't - he will need some of that energy burned off or he is going to keep throwing himself at her. Be forewarned - Corgi's can be relentless little dogs!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I was just on youtube looking at corgi playing videos. I can see that!! In fact, there was a video of a corgi trying to herd a retriever. The retriever was chasing a ball, and the corgi was chasing the retriever herding him. I've seen Charlie doing the SAME herding behavior with Kayla. She basically just ignores him right now, it's the "later" I get worried about. But it is good to know that he's not being aggressive with her! That was my biggest fear! Big brown dog.....Do you have any experience with Corgies

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
How long have you had the puppy? It seems as if your older dog is not quite sure about the puppy yet. Give it a few more weeks and the older dog will begin to realize she CAN play with this little dog.

Have you owned a Corgi before? They are notorious nippers as they are very much the herding dog.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
A very normal and very cute puppy. When Kayla has really had enough, one of the snaps will make contact and puppy will back off. I agree the puppy needs to release some of that energy, running outside, playing with toys, etc.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I can really see the corgi in him, how cute! That's normal, as everyone here says, in fact my pup (almost 13 weeks) is doing that to our 12 year old Sheltie right now, and our Sheltie is acting the same way as your Kayla (Sheltie always does, she doesn't have much patience for puppies.)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Cute video. I've watched it a couple of times and CJ keeps looking around when he hears your pup.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
What an adorable ball of fluff!! He is acting so normal. Once Kayla is used to him and they start playing she'll put him in his place soon enough

I agree with taking Kayla's collar off. If his baby tooth gets caught bounding up to her his toothies might get ripped out on the way down. he is so badly trying to get her to react to him.

In a few weeks you'll post that they never stop playing, they barge full speed through the house, make heaps of noise and listen to nothing you say while playing.... I'm sure of it! You'll wish that she was this hesitant ;) hehe.....

oh... and post more cute videos! LOL..

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
In the meantime... lots of exercise with you (to puppy standards of course) and some basic learning of commands (sit, stay, drop etc) will help keep him amused.

Lots of toys and maybe a stuffed kong also...... to give Kayla a break every now and then won't hurt either ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We never have had experience with corgis and I think that was part of what was worrying me so much. I watched youtube videos of corgis and the ones posted of corgies herding was very enlightening!! He does that all the time to Kayla. He does a lot of heal nipping with her. He doesn't do it with us, but he definately tries to "herd" Kayla! I also found a corgi forum just like this one. I think I might join that one too, that way I can pick your brains for the lab traits, and pick theirs for the corgi traits! :) I see a lot of corgi in him too. He sure does love playing fetch though, so obviously he has a lot of retriever in him too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts