Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update at the end.
Boo bit my tft tonight. I am totally sick about it. She has a couple of big tears in her skin, one about the size of a nickel the other about the size of a half a dime. I cleaned them and put ointment on them and wrapped the bigger one in gauze. Tomorrow morning or should I say later this morning I'll take her into the vet. No broken bones or anything like that but it was completely innocent on her part. Boo just had her nite-nite snack and we were headed to bed when Twiggy walked close to her and that set her off. She had grabbed her before and we have watched her like a hawk since then. I never leave her out unattended while Twiggy's around. What can I do??? Boo isn't the least aggressive with people, kids, and Rush but for some reason she is with Twiggy. Can any one offer any help.:( I am so sick about this. My heart is breaking, Twiggy is 16yo, blind and almost deaf. She sure as hell didn't deserve this. Anyone, can you help or offer suggestions????
UPDATE***
yeah tft is toy fox terrier. She's home from the vet's. My Gawd she has 12 stitches and is sleeping in her bed right here beside me. I'll tell you it only takes a second. I keep an eye on her and Boo ALL THE TIME since she had done this once before. What the hell happened? They played together when Boo was a pup and Boo grew up with her. WTF? I've noticed that poor little Twig has been wobbly on her legs the past few weeks and has been bumping into everything where before she kind of knew the lay of the land. Our vet said it's probably senility setting in and there are a few meds we could try. HOWEVER, since she has kidney disease and it's progressing, the med might not help as much as I want it to. She left it up to me. She has been on a kidney disease diet for the last two years and she really doesn't like it. We have to find new and interesting ways of presenting it to her to get her to eat it. I'm thinking at 16+ years and failing kidneys, maybe I should just feed her what she will eat and let her enjoy what time she has left. Would that be terrible of me? Her heart is strong, color is good and temp is normal so she's doing fairly well all things considered. So what do you guys think? Do I let her eat a good brand of dog food or try to keep coaxing her to eat the diet that is for her disease?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Just supervise like MAD, basically. I wonder if it's because in nature, old/sick animals are often killed off so as not to slow down the rest of the pack/herd/pride etc.... not pretty but it happens. :(

So I would suggest a high level of vigilance on your part to keep Twiggy safe. NO food when they're together at all. Watch carefully for signs that Boo is about to flip the switch and stop it right there before it escalates. I'm not one to rely on correction-based training, but you can bet I'd be laying down the law BIG time if either dog set out to hurt the other.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No help either, but Twiggy and Boo are in my thoughts!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You might also think about putting a spiked collar on the smaller dog. Dogs usually go for the neck. The spiked collar might help in acting as a deterrent.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I wonder if it's because in nature, old/sick animals are often killed off so as not to slow down the rest of the pack/herd/pride etc.... not pretty but it happens.
Kate may have hit the nail on the head here.

Sorry to hear about what happened, but I would personally keep them seperated at all times. If she does it once she will do it again.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
At 16 years and already failing health, I'd say feed her what she likes. Let her enjoy the time she has left.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Sorry to hear your little one isn't well. When I use to work for a vet, a few things we use to do to entice them to eat was this:

Is it Can or Dry? If it is dry, can you maybe wet it down and warm it up, if it is can, warm it up?

Maybe add a bit of garlic powder to it, to give it a bit of a smell to it.

Also you can purchase jars of baby (human) meats. Gerber makes Chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, and ham. Maybe warm a bit of that, and add it to her food to see if she will take it that way.

I guess if it were up to me, and all else fails, I would let her eat what she is gonna eat. Some food, is better than no food at all.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
A really tough position.

I'd also vote to feed her what she most likes for her remaining months/weeks -- and also be very vigilant about their contact together because if it happened this time, it'd probably happen again.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
OMG - how awful - twice is twice too many for you I'm sure
Brody has 12 stitches too - and I'm so torn about Hank as well ...
how dreadful we are both going through similiar things :(

hang in there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts