Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bandit is 15wks. When I say "Bandit, Here". He only comes sometimes. If he is outside and I call him he doesn't want to come to me. and when I go out in the yard to get him he runs from me. It seems like the more stern my voice is the worse it gets. I dont think it scares him, I think he thinks it is a game.

In the house is a differnet story, he comes when I call him.

He also isn't sitting like he used to. I used to just say "sit" and he would sit and stay (for a min. at least)

Should I be correcting this in a different way? Is it ok to use a stern voice at his age? Is any of this just because he is a puppy?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
He probably comes when you're in the house because he knows something good will happen - do you call him when you are feeding him? going to take him outside? I betcha he's expecting something will happen.

As for outside - everything outside is fun. Moreso than even we are. Why stop digging thru exciting trash to come see me?

Everytime you call him and he comes, you MUST praise him - and excessively. Even when you are mad.
Don't ever use a mad voice when you call him.

It's hard. My dog doesn't come when my husband calls, then my hubby gets angry, goes after the dog and reprimands him for not coming. No wonder he won't come. I wouldn't either.

When I have to go after him, I still praise him. Rocket's really good about coming, but it's taken a lot of praise. I only have problems when he's playing with another dog - I don't blame him.

When you're outside, call him frequently, don't wait until you have to. Create teaching moments.

Oh, and Rocket is now 7mo, but I've been working with him on this since the day I brought him home, at 7wks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This is what I did with Oona. Put Bandit on a leash let him get to the end of it and call him while giving the leash a gentle tug. When he comes back to you give him praise and a small food treat. Repeat several times. After a few days of this lengthen the leash by adding clothesline to the leash until you can get him to recall with 100 feet of clothesline. Then take him to a new place, a park and continue the training.
Olie

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks! I will try that. I never yell at him for not coming to me , but I do use a stern voice for correcting, like when he does not sit I push his butt down and with a stern voice say "sit". Is this ok?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Never issue a command you can't enforce. Don't call 'BANDIT COME' without Bandit being on a leash so you can guarantee success by happily reeling him in. Same goes for SIT, DOWN, HEEL, WITH ME, NO VISIT, LEAVE IT. SETTLE, KENNEL-UP, QUIET, and OFF.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
if my dog doesn't offer the proper response to a command, they do not know/understand what it is i want or they are insufficient trained to respond on cue, both of which indicate a lack of time/effort on my part to teach and condition the response i desire from them.

above all else, corrections in training should be timely and fair. personally, i don't see much advantages from enforcing a command the dog may or may not fully understand or lacks proper conditioning/training to respond appropriately. using a modeling technique to guide a dog's movements and body to teach a skill is one thing, but attempts at manhandling or scolding a dog for insubordination may be more harmful rather than helpful when training a dog to offer a conditioned response.

generally, i do not force my dog to do anything against their will unless there is a saftey concern at hand. my training approach is to condition my dogs to WANT to respond to cues, and i try not to place myself nor my dog in senarios where i have to be ready to enforce a command. i don't set them up to fail so i can correct them. i think teaching-learning goals are more easily and quickly achieved when the dog is setup to succeed, and we can build on each success and move foward in learning more difficult tasks together.

do you have a good training book you can refer to? there are several out there that gives excellent advise on how to train for recall and other useful skills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts