Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know you go through that phase where you think your dog is never going to get beyond something? For me? That Remy is out of his crate during the day while I'm at work or at night if we go out. Since November. I thought he was going to be a lifer in the crate, but he's surprised me. A couple of times I have found their leashes on the floor (he and his sister are locked in the mudroom and kitchen area) and one night we came home to ALL the couch pillows from the mudroom all over the floor. I have NO IDEA what happened that night, but nothing was damaged. He has full run of the house at night while we are sleeping and not an issue. I really never thought he could be trusted to not bark his head off all day, chew the couch, get up on the counters, etc. But nope. He's surprised me and he and Brooklyn each take a side of the couch in the mudroom and snooze the day away....

Oh...and we have toilet paper back in both bathrooms. :)

What has your dog accomplished that you thought would never happen?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm the most proud of our dogs around food. We never gave them people food when they were young, because I didn't want them begging or snatching someone's plate. They also learned the phrase "out of the kitchen". When we're cooking and busy they are not allowed in there, they lay at either end in the doorway. They would never dream of grabbing something that's dropped on the floor and they never counter surf, or grab people's food, even little kids at our picnics. Remember the picture of our campout with Libby sitting beside my plate of food. She'd never dare to take a bite off of that plate. That's our proudest accomplishment. But, watch out now that I've said this, I'll jinx myself.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I am the most proud of the dog's achievements in sports. I never thought Peanut would be as good at agility as she is, or that we'd make the Superdogs team, that is just surreal. When I think of how far she's come and how much deeper our bond is because of it, I tear up. What can I say, I'm an easy crier. :)

With Baloo same thing, watching him fly into the dock diving pool, stay through another dog breaking in obedience, charge down a jump line towards a tunnel or attack the weave poles like a dog possessed just makes my heart swell.

I couldn't be prouder of either of them, they're the best dogs ever. :D

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I have to say Wesley's CD. I NEVER in a zillion years thought he'd get solid enough to not only compete but amass the necessary scores to earn a CD.

He was a terror in his day. I remember many a class where he'd be set up for a recall, come at me, and ZOOM off to my right at the last nanosecond, tromping through our instructor's neighborhood for the next hour. Meaning I'd miss class entirely hunting for him....

We also used to come early for our beginner class, and the Advanced students had the slot before us. And I'd sit in the car and watch them leave their dogs -- LEAVE THEIR DOGS -- in a sitstay or downstay in the middle of the yard and go sauntering off -- lah. de. dah -- while the dogs held.

And I'd get so depressed. I knew Wes would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever do that.

Until he proved me wrong.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
There are a couple things The biggest is Molly & Abby can have free run of the house & not bother a thing when we are not home. Kate is still young so we have to wait awhile. GThe other is all of the girls have received titles in the hunt tests we have entered them in and Molly's CGC & TDI certificate. There were many days I never thought we would get this far.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I am proud that Gracie can be trusted in the house without having to be locked in the bathroom. We can leave her and everything is in its place when we get home:)...I thought she was bathroom bound for life, but no..she has made us proud.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I am proud that Harvey can have free reign in the house, restricted down stairs now due to his ED. He has never attacked the bin or drank from the toliet. He did chew my walking boots up one day though, i was 20 mins late to take him for a walk... so clearly that was my fault. :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
For me it's that I was able to train Ruger thru Utility in Obedience all by myself. I never went to a training class. I had to beg, borrow, and steal training tips and advice and worked diligently at it.

Although Ruger only has one leg in Utility, I'm still very proud of this accomplishment.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
With us it's obedience too. That's really the thing that is so gratifying about it, and what gets you hooked.

I have a friend who is bringing her puppy to the club. She was there one night when we were practicing out of sight stays, and she was just in awe. "Oh my gosh, I can't imagine," she said. "I don't think she'll EVER be able to do that in a million years."

I told her she would be really, really surprised what they can do if you stick with it. Lord have mercy, I would NEVER have believed ANGUS could do an out of sight stay!

When we first started at the club, I didn't think he'd ever get to the point where he could halfway pay attention to me.

After he flunked the CGC the first time, I just knew he was never going to be able to pass it.

Then came Rally, off-leash. No way was this ever going to be anything but a joke. (Well, many times it was a joke...)

Then his CD. He'll never get that if I can't talk to him in the ring.

And now, CDX seems impossible. He won't stop moving on the Drop on Recall.

But, looking at past experience and things I was sure were hopeless, I know someday we'll be doing this too! :D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
For me it's that I was able to train Ruger thru Utility in Obedience all by myself. I never went to a training class. I had to beg, borrow, and steal training tips and advice and worked diligently at it.

Although Ruger only has one leg in Utility, I'm still very proud of this accomplishment.
That truly is amazing. I can't imagine doing that all by myself.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Hmm... I'm sure there are a LOT.. but with Kolby he is now able to stay locked in his crate for about 2 hours now. I won't leave him in there when I leave the house, but in the past ~4 months he went from freaking out immediately, to being able to hang out in there for a couple hours. :) He's also learning his manners quite nicely and I've really been working with him on loose leash walking. He's come a LOOONG way. Oh, and we've been working on recall and he didn't run away at my parents' house over the weekend!

With Abbey.. gosh, I'd have to say that she is so darned smart and I love how much she loves agility. She's very focused and absolutely loves it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
For us it was Daisy just learning to be a good dog. She was the worst dog we had ever taken into the rescue & they asked us to take her because she was a maniac & we had taken the most training classes. She truely WAS a wild one! Getting her & Mia to live in HARMONY was a giant task, that took us almost a month for the two of them to be in the same room & their not be friction. Daisy had NO people or dog manners. We started her in training classes right away & that helped some....we took dog classes for almost six months with her. We had to take the CGC test TWICE. She has a hard time with strange men & in the middle she had to have her eye removed, so she could get spooked on occasion from her blind side. We did it though!! She has turned out to be the BIGGEST love bug EVER & is our old girl now @ 6yrs. I used to wish the people who used to have her could see what a good, sweet dog she has become, but then I decided they didnt deserve it! :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.