Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to do a 20 minute ride this morning before it got too hot. Well, Gandy had other things in mind. She's really been in heat, and talk about being a witch. Oh my! I actually had to get off of her and walk her a bit before I ripped her head off! So she settled and I climbed back on, not an easy feat for this old gal... She still would NOT walk. So I pushed her into a hard trot and just made her trot trot trot. She finally about died and at the end we had a nice slow jog again. My 20 minute ride lasted an hour.

Yes, I know I am not dressed correctly for riding... it's either this, or no ride at all, I just can't stand jeans when it's this hot outside.

Getting on... Gah! It's hard to do!! Not as flexible as I once was...

Yes, I'm hanging on to the horn, I was posting too but you don't see that..

Here she starting to settle a little..

I still love her...

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
She's a very pretty horse - I love her color - great pics of you two - it's good that she keeps you on your toes (literally!) :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I think Gandy is beautiful. I'm so glad you're riding her again!
(Who takes these pictures while you're riding??)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Oh I understand about trying to get up on her back. Sometimes I can mount Toby from the ground, but most often I can't get on without a mounting block. (I should have gotten a pony lol)

I ride in capris with my paddock boots. I know I look a sight, but too **** bad. I can't ride in jeans either when it's hot and muggy.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Umm, Linda, where is your helmet? After Laura's mishap, I would think you'd be certain to wear one, especially with miss Gandy being in a pissy mood!

BTW - she still looks wonderful!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still don't have one (helmet). I still can't afford it. Remington has to go to the vet this week. I have absolutely NO spare money these days. It sucks. It is on my list of "to buy".

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Tipperay helmets are the ones I highly recommend in heat prone areas ;) Sooooooooo comfy!

I have 2 mares and one is like this when she is in season. She's great for the beginners but horrible for anyone else LOL. The other mare, I have never seen in season but I still bought a gelding the 3rd time :) Those mares like to surprise us, huh?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed- I can't get on from the ground anymore! And she looks TALL!!

She looks sweet.... I miss my old guy.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's about 15.1, not that tall. My new horse is 13.3. I am planning on riding her after the summer. I have to get a headstall for her yet. She wears a cob size.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Nice pics Linda! Jeez you guys, if I rode without long pants in tack I'd have sores all over! Me and my "english legs", I think. :D

I ride bareback a lot in the summer just because just the idea of pulling on long pants makes me sweaty just thinking about it. :eek:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Nice pics Linda! Jeez you guys, if I rode without long pants in tack I'd have sores all over! Me and my "english legs", I think. :D

I ride bareback a lot in the summer just because just the idea of pulling on long pants makes me sweaty just thinking about it. :eek:
Er excuse me Kate, but what exactly do you mean by "english legs"?

not short, fat and hairy I hope!!~lol:D

Linda she may be a crotchety old mare but she still has a beautiful face~:)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Er excuse me Kate, but what exactly do you mean by "english legs"?

not short, fat and hairy I hope!!~lol:D

Linda she may be a crotchety old mare but she still has a beautiful face~:)
LOL Kate! I meant that I ride in the "english" (think olympic showjumpers) style, as opposed to the "western" (think cowboy) style. From my experience with both, english riders use their legs quite a bit more while riding, which would lead to them chafing on the saddle/stirrups if one were to ride in shorts. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Man, I wish you were closer- I have all of Geym's old stuff I will never use. He was an Arab and only fit into cob sized stuff... I have a tack trunk filled with 20 years of bridles, breast collars, bits.... it'll get dried out and ruined....

lucy

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

Ditto, just an excuse to get out of breeches and boots (my trainer did not allow chaps) got me riding bareback a lot more in the summer!

I think it's the stirrup leathers on the english saddles that result in the complete inability to ride in shorts without massive leg injuries ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kate, I don't think English riders use any more leg than Western riders do, but English has narrow stirrup leathers, whereas Western has wide leather fenders to the stirrup. I ride both styles. In shorts, English leathers pinch the heck out of your calves!!! I know exactly what you mean :)

Lucy, let me know what you have available, I'll pay shipping :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Toby is 15.1. I can't mount him from the ground. With my knee, I can't get the oomph I need to get up.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I rarely mount from the ground using my english saddles either. On the trail we often get off and remount from the ground with the Western saddle. I can get on from the ground but my old employer always felt it was hard on their back to mount on the ground (not sure if she is right or wrong but that was her view). I also have these tabletop mares with no withers so the saddle does slip unless I really crank the girth/cinch.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
There are many now who think we're hurting the horse's backs and withers by mounting on the ground. Especially those of us who need several tries to do it. lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts