Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Catcher in the Rye"

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, not particularly surprisng at 91. Second, most overrated book of all time except for maybe On The Road by Kerouac.
Overrated will be for the critics to debate. I happen to love it and believe it has deservedly stood the test of time (written in 1951). But I don't think anyone could argue w/its stance as being influential.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Overrated will be for the critics to debate. I happen to love it and believe it has deservedly stood the test of time (written in 1951). But I don't think anyone could argue w/its stance as being influential.
I'm not a big fan of the whole Disaffected Youth genre.

I do, however, give him a lot of credit for not spending his entire life basking in the glory of this book and being fawned over by grad students who want to tell him how wonderful he was. Lots of authors make a life out of that and I appreciate the fact that he just wanted to be left alone.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not a big fan of the whole Disaffected Youth genre.

I do, however, give him a lot of credit for not spending his entire life basking in the glory of this book and being fawned over by grad students who want to tell him how wonderful he was. Lots of authors make a life out of that and I appreciate the fact that he just wanted to be left alone.
The Greta Garbo of the literary world....

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
It's said that he's written a lot of books during his 50 year retreat. We'll see. Hope so. I also enjoyed his stories about the Glass family that were published in The New Yorker and "To Esmé with Love & Squalor"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.