Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Midwest girl asked
Which part?
I hadn't seen or heard of Glenn Beck so I looked him up to see what his background is.

I read the whole article and thought it was very balanced and gave a good perspective on his M.O. and P.O.V.

I especially liked:

(John) Stewart responded to Beck's discomforting statements with "Finally, a guy who says what people who aren't thinking are thinking."[36] The Beast also ranked Beck #24 on their 2006 list of 50 Most Loathsome People in America and commented "Even the leather-winged shouting heads at Fox News look like intellectual giants next to this bleating, benighted Cassandra. It's like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show." [37]

David Segal of The Washington Post described the Ellison interview as "surely [Beck's] most embarrassing moment" and a "stink bomb." He then speculated on Beck's popularity: "Maybe an attention-deficit host is exactly what an attention-deficit public wants. Listen to a few of Beck's shows and what strikes you most is the enormous ratio of words to substance -- how Beck can monologue for minutes at a time and leave behind almost nothing except the impression of great vehemence."[38]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're 100% right Bob, why would we want to look at the facts here about what I posted, let just pull up and go after Glen Beck and his backround, heck why don't we really talk about the problem at hand, like Obama's life before presidency (his passed) and where he's taking OUR country, down the sh*tter, nope that's not what we're interested in, we're interested more in Glen Beck pointing facts out to us, come ON already!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Regina, what criteria do you use to determine whether Beck is credible? How do you evaluate his claims?
The same way all Obama worshippers determine Obama's credibility and evaluate his claims, I do it through my morals, principles and values and the history of this country, OH wait, Obama doesn't have any of those, I'm sorry, what was the question again....

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
theoconbrio said
That quote from The Beast is pure gold. Quality snark!
Yeah, but I kind of favored:
"Finally, a guy who says what people who aren't thinking are thinking" and
"Maybe an attention-deficit host is exactly what an attention-deficit public wants....." :) :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Extremists and opportunists on any subject, anytime. Have to sit back and find the middle somewhere. Full left or full right will eventually take you in a circle to the other side. Trying to stay centered tends to move one forward.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The same way all Obama worshippers determine Obama's credibility and evaluate his claims, I do it through my morals, principles and values and the history of this country, OH wait, Obama doesn't have any of those, I'm sorry, what was the question again....
Really, Regina?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Midwest girl asked

I hadn't seen or heard of Glenn Beck so I looked him up to see what his background is.

I read the whole article and thought it was very balanced and gave a good perspective on his M.O. and P.O.V.

I especially liked:

(John) Stewart responded to Beck's discomforting statements with "Finally, a guy who says what people who aren't thinking are thinking."[36] The Beast also ranked Beck #24 on their 2006 list of 50 Most Loathsome People in America and commented "Even the leather-winged shouting heads at Fox News look like intellectual giants next to this bleating, benighted Cassandra. It's like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show." [37]

David Segal of The Washington Post described the Ellison interview as "surely [Beck's] most embarrassing moment" and a "stink bomb." He then speculated on Beck's popularity: "Maybe an attention-deficit host is exactly what an attention-deficit public wants. Listen to a few of Beck's shows and what strikes you most is the enormous ratio of words to substance -- how Beck can monologue for minutes at a time and leave behind almost nothing except the impression of great vehemence."[38]

So you quote a person and a paper whose liberal views are the opposite of Becks..........and use that to decide if he's credible.

I suppose you would ask some Redsox fans about the Yankees......and take their word for it. LOL

It's always easy to attack the credentials of a person rather than the harder task of responding to them with a reasoned rebutal.........in fact that is usually the case when the person is right.......LOL

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
OK, so you agree with anything that confirms your preexisting biases. Fine. But Glenn Beck's not exactly the most credible person in the world. I wouldn't take my news from ... you know what, I was trying to think of someone on the left who is as loony as Beck is on the right, and I can't think of anyone, since Assata Shakur doesn't have a tv show. Olbermann is the closest I can get, but he's still light years away on the loony scale from Beck. But anyway, I wouldn't take my news from Olbermann anyway. It'll just get you riled up, and it's probably wrong.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts