Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Denny and I watch it. I do respect the Sea Shepherds for standing up for what they believe in, as crazy as they seem sometimes. It takes a lot of guts (or stupidity?) to want to go out there.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
That's usually what ends up happening to me! but every now and then I make it a point to have friday night off and just veg at home!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have the cheapest cable service I could get and the internet. I have a list of things I need to get done first and then comes the TIVO budget! lol
Some day I will get to TIVO. I can't wait.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We have a dvr and a tivo...lol. One to record in each room we have a TV. Our Tivo has lifetime service so no monthly fees, and it's built in to our DirecTV service.

My husband hates the Sea Shepherds...lol. He's rooting for the Japanese when we watch now.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
That's cool that your TIVO has no monthly fees!

Let me just say...I have Comcast and I am not a big fan! AH! I feel like they practically force you into getting the $150/month cable. I spent 2 years paying 155 bucks a month for cable/internet. I had to cut back. If I get the cheapest basic cable then I don't some of the useful news channels and some of the on air channels. So I have to upgrade it. I got just above the basic and I still don't get CNN. Ho well! At least I get some of the other fun/good channels.

I have a feeling they will raise the price on what I have now after 6 months or a year. ugh!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a dvr and a tivo...lol. One to record in each room we have a TV. Our Tivo has lifetime service so no monthly fees, and it's built in to our DirecTV service.

My husband hates the Sea Shepherds...lol. He's rooting for the Japanese when we watch now.
Why does he hate the Sea Shepards? I guess they are pirates really but then again the Japanese are clearly using a loophole in the law and no one else is doing anything about it. Still, Watson is risking all their lives doing this.

There is a Fed agent I got to know on another forum who had met Watson. This is some of what he wrote about him - quite interesting.

When the Rainbow Warrior was scuttled by the French, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking...ainbow_Warrior) it created a firestorm in the environmental activist community. This included Paul Watson and the "Sea Shepherd Society." Watson was operating the M/V Sea Shephard II at the time to carry out his maritime protests.

The focus of the environmentalists in the Pacific was not whaling, but nuclear testing. They vowed to do whatever they had to to stop it. Now these organizations rely on private donations to operate. They have to walk a fine line between effectiveness and lawlessness to keep in the media and keep the money flowing. Watson continuously pushes that line. Consequently, most mainstream environmental organizations distance themselves. It's all tied to the money. Watson has benefactors, however, that have allowed him to operate.

The UN sanctions and Intenational Law of the Sea Conventions that address whaling aren't signed by the remaining principal whaling nations: Japan, Korea, Norway and Finland. There is still a demand for whale and whale bi-product. On the open seas, unilateral law enforcement is impermissible by treaty. Only the sovereign under whose flag the ship operates can enforce international law, or grant permission to another state to enforce the law, against their flagged ships. The US can only enforce it's Marine Mammal Protection Act within the US Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ or 200nm boundary).

Folks like Watson are very careful not to violate US law. This gives them access to US ports and services without restriction. Harassing a Japanese ship on the high seas is a Japanese problem. Japan has no navy, to speak of (by peace treaty terms at the end of WWII). So they really don't have the platforms to protect their commercial shipping.

That's the setup in a nutshell. Probably more than anybody cares to know, I guess, but it's important to understand how folks like Watson get away with what they do (whether you consider it wrong or not).

If you want to know why we think they're dangerous, have a look at their "official" history:

http://www.seashepherd.org/whales/se...d-history.html
That last link is very interesting (if you want to learn more about Watson). Watson has been responsible for sinking a number of ships. He also had a confrontation with the Norwegian Navy....

In July of 1994, the Sea Shepherd ship Whales Forever challenged the Norwegian whaling fleet and the Norwegian government directly when Captain Watson took the ship and his crew to the Lofoten Islands to block the whaling ships. He was intercepted by the Norwegian Navy.

The Whales Forever was rammed by the Norwegian destroyer Andenes, fired upon, and had two depth charges deployed under the hull. Although suffering significant damage, the Whales Forever prevented the Norwegians from boarding and returned to the Shetland Islands having severely embarrassed the Norwegian authorities. More importantly, international media attention was brought to bear on the illegality of Norwegian whaling.
:eek:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
My husband thinks Paul Watson is an *******. And while I do respect what the Sea Shepherds are doing, it does seem like Watson does a lot of delegating while not participating in the attacks, really (not the dangerous parts). And the whole thing about him getting "shot" seemed way overdone. 1st mate Peter Brown was another douchebag. I would hate to see all the whales dead, but I really don't get the mania behind "saving the whales". I guess I see efforts like finding cures for diseases like AIDS or more human-related efforts to sort of be more worthwhile. If the Japanese stick to their quotas, and aren't outfishing the whales, really, what is the harm of them doing it if there is such a big demand for whale? Why aren't more people protesting if what they are doing is so devastating? I don't know...it just seems like there are worse evils in the world. If anyone does feel strongly about saving the whales I would be interested in reading that perspective as well.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My husband thinks Paul Watson is an *******. And while I do respect what the Sea Shepherds are doing, it does seem like Watson does a lot of delegating while not participating in the attacks, really (not the dangerous parts). And the whole thing about him getting "shot" seemed way overdone. 1st mate Peter Brown was another douchebag. I would hate to see all the whales dead, but I really don't get the mania behind "saving the whales". I guess I see efforts like finding cures for diseases like AIDS or more human-related efforts to sort of be more worthwhile. If the Japanese stick to their quotas, and aren't outfishing the whales, really, what is the harm of them doing it if there is such a big demand for whale? Why aren't more people protesting if what they are doing is so devastating? I don't know...it just seems like there are worse evils in the world. If anyone does feel strongly about saving the whales I would be interested in reading that perspective as well.
I can understand the points you have made and certainly respect your opinion.

With regards to Watson...although he is not currently doing the dangerous parts (ie in the small boats) he has done some very gutsy stuff. The risks he personally took were a lot worse than what is being done now. He has been inbetween big vessels and whales in small dingys. He went up against the Russians etc. He watched a whale die next too him from a harpoon wound and thats what made him snap.

As for the whales, here is my problem with what the Japanese are doing...

First watch how they kill the whale and see how it suffers (this is not just a big fish)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCX2Du4bO5w&feature=player_embedded

Incase you cannot access the video, it is footage from season 2. They harpoon the whale and then try to finish it off with a rifle. Trouble is, it takes a while to shoot it. So the whale is just dragged along struggling with a harpoon in its back.

Yes there are plenty of Minke whales (for the moment) but that does not make it right. There use to be plenty of Blue whales and now, due to years of whaling, they are an endangered species.

You say there are more important things such as Aids. There will always be lots of causes and every person will choose one to support. Animals matter to people and I don't see why mammals such as Whales should be treated any differently than dogs. I mean why was so much time and effort put into convicting and imprisoning Michael Vick. They are only dogs, right? Plenty of them around....

Just my 2 cents. :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts