Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
that is absolutely amazing!!!!

this might sound dumb but how does the horse know what to do?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
That is awsome. I had a quarter horse that 99% of the time I trail rode bareback. Never did I have the nerve not use the bridle though. My farrier (sp) came whipping around the barn one day on him no saddle no bridle. We joked he must have wanted to ride him for awhile. He was the only one who could shoe him, he had horrible feet. He used to joke that he was going to start a farrier school to graduate they had to shoe My Way. (horse's name)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That is totally awesome! One question, though - why do they call it reining when she's not using reins? She has amazing control of that animal with no reins at all - there should be a special class for that.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is actually Freestyle Reining. In the regular reining classes you need your bridle. Reining has prescribed patterns that you run. In freestyle you are allowed to get creative and add costume and music. It's more of an audience pleaser :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
That's an equally impressive video of horse/rider communication! My old guy is a QH who switched to dressage when he burnt out as a cutting horse. So they always have a soft spot in my heart.

However, I still don't see where reining or freestyle reining is "natural" compared to dressage ??? When in nature do horses spin like that? Is it natural just because she isn't wearing a bridle? Because the Westfalls sell videos and call their methods horsemanship (like Parelli, Tellington, Roberts, etc.)? The horse has his ears pinned for much of the performance. Clearly just the absence of a bridle doesn't make a horse happy to perform. As for more relaxed, that tail wrings every time she spins him and the entire time he's backing up and doing sliding stops.

Personally, I'll take my dressage with a balanced horse.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
yellojakesmom said:
That's an equally impressive video of horse/rider communication! My old guy is a QH who switched to dressage when he burnt out as a cutting horse. So they always have a soft spot in my heart.

However, I still don't see where reining or freestyle reining is "natural" compared to dressage ??? When in nature do horses spin like that? Is it natural just because she isn't wearing a bridle? Because the Westfalls sell videos and call their methods horsemanship (like Parelli, Tellington, Roberts, etc.)? The horse has his ears pinned for much of the performance. Clearly just the absence of a bridle doesn't make a horse happy to perform. As for more relaxed, that tail wrings every time she spins him and the entire time he's backing up and doing sliding stops.

Personally, I'll take my dressage with a balanced horse.
I totally agree. I think the mare looks really unhappy to be performing- tail wringing, ear pinning, etc.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
My youngest sister did reining with her first QH. She did a freestyle routine to Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA". For those that don't follow this stuff- freestyle is where you make you your own routine. She would ride bridleless, too.

Western Reining is based on moves working cowhorse use. If you watch some cutting horse competions, you'll see those horses doing the same moves to keep the selected cow out of the herd.

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I had my quarter horse, I did Parelli with him and rode bridleless using the carrot stick. It was actually easier than riding with a bridle once you got the hang of it! It really improved my seat and balance, too! I think they ought to teach that first before they ever let someone get a hold of reins!!!

BTW, we did dressage!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts