Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...has ventricular arrhythmia.

eep.

We're trying now to find out why. Possiblities range from the mildly disturbing (the Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia he had as a pup coming back to haunt him; after-effects of Lyme's Disease) to the out-and-out terrifying (cancer).

He's on Satelol right now -- very low dose -- to keep his heart beating regularly. Until the blood panels come back. Then they want a Halter monitor for 24 hrs to ensure the dosage is correct.

No guarantees. It's "concerning" says the veterinary cardiologist but not "mortally" so right now. Which is not to say he couldn't have an massive bout of a-fib and be taken out.

again..... eep.

But there are a ton of good signs: He's in great shape. Weightwise and muscle mass. He's a happy boy and showing no real signs of distress (fainting, for example).

So we'll ride this for a while and see...

The Satelol may wipe him out for a little. We've told the girls to not be surprised if he's a little sluggish. And that's it. No sense worrying them unnecesssarily.

And my estimation of a $600 tab?

heh.

Double it.

And we're not done yet...........

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I was going to ask in your other post, so I'm glad you started a new one!

I don't know what that is, but I pray it turns out to be nothing serious and he has a full recovery! Do you have to cut back on his exercise (walks, etc)?

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Wow, that's not what I expected to hear. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way. The money, well that's what it's there for, to keep us and our family going. {{HUGS}}

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have to cut back on his exercise (walks, etc)?
Let him do what he's eager and willing to do. If he has enough oomph to run, let him run.

But don't push.

So, for example, no 50 retrieves w/a tennis ball.

I felt so bad for him this morning. There, in a field we cut through, were two big, fat, lazy, gossipy geese waddling along, PERFECT for chasing. And in his hey-days, he'd send them skyward and leaving a trail of feathers and indignant honks....

But today..............................

LEAVE IT!

:(

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Prayers for Wesley! I sure hope it turns out not so seriously and hope the pills help. Give him extra hugs from us.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Prayers and good thoughts that it is the milder of the two problems, and that the wallet isn't pounded much more. ((((Dan and Wes))))

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Do you mean sotalol? Holter monitor.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Well here's hoping it's the least dire, and least expensive, option. Good thoughts for everybody.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Good thoughts for all of you Dan - hopefully it's easily managed with the Sotalol for a long time.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hopefully it's something that will turn out to be benign. I know it's disconcerting going through all the tests. I was having chest pains and arrythmias and went to get it checked out and after 24 hours of the Holter monitor and an echocardiogram, it showed it was a mitral valve prolapse. Until I got the final diagnosis, it was pretty unsettling (especially at my age). I believe MPV is similar to a tricuspid valve dysplasia, but on the opposite side of the heart. Fortunately, I don't have to take medicine for it and just deal with the occasional rapid heart beats. Hopefully something similar is going on with Wes instead of something more severe.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 42 Posts