Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Wes came home last night w/his Holter monitor. Seems to be doing okay with it -- I was worried that he'd try to shred the bandages that are holding it in place. Other than trying to shake them off, he's pretty much leaving them alone. I think he thinks it's his service-dog vest, so he's ignoring it.

I am dutifully keeping the log: Wesley eats. Wesley pees. Wesley sleeps. Wesley naps. Wesley rests. Wesley snores....

Such a life!

Dr said that most of the bloodwork is back (still waiting on the detailed Lyme's panel) and that it reveals nothing. Nada. So good news there.

And I was asked a really tough question -- one that I struggled with. The practice wanted to know if I would volunteer Wes for a study on TVD (tricuspid valve dysplasia). It would involve a blood-draw at this stage (which didn't bother me one iota) and then this: After his eventual passing, whenever that would be, I would need to agree to have his heart removed and sent to U of P Vet School.

...ulp...

MAN, I labored over this decision. Would love to help other Labs who may face this.

But the thoughts of him having his heart removed post-mortem and shipped off... I dunno. It made me very sad.

I want his ashes. When he goes. Plant them w/a tree and all that. And the thoughts of him being not-whole.... bothered me.

I dunno...

I can change my mind if I want.

Eileen got the biggest laugh over all this when I got home, pointing out an irony that escaped me at the moment:

I am an organ donor. Have been for decades.

Yet I said NO to this.

Weird, huh?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That's good news, Dan. :)

About the heart, nope. I couldn't do it either.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Glad to hear the bloodwork is clear, Dan.

As an organ donor, I would have no qualms about letting them have the heart of one of the boys. I have always regretted not getting Shadow's ashes back. I was in such wild grief when they asked me that I didn't think I would want the reminder. But had they wanted to use her heart to help save other dogs, I would have agreed.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'm glad the bloodwork is clear. I can understand your hesitancy on sending his heart, but think of all the dogs he might help after his passing. TVD is a real problem in our breed, unfortunately.

Whatever you decide is the right decision for you.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
That's good news to hear. I too am an organ donor, so I don't think I'd have a problem with letting them have his heart if it helps other dogs. I will have the rest of their ashes. And I will have their spirit. That's all that matters to me.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Great news so far, hope the rest is just as good! Hey Dan, Wes's "heart" will always be a part of his soul, thus a part of him. Give your boy an extra hug from Sammi and I

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just love this cardiac veternarian. She was describing the process for the log: "Now I want you to jot down the time and the activity. And then any incidents -- things like fainting or collapsing or having cold extremities. Now I want you to know that I have talked to Wesley about all these, and he assures me they aren't going to happen. But if they do, I want you to note it..."

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm glad he's doing well. Continued good wishes!

Whatever you decide to do about his heart is the right thing for you and Wes, no doubts. I think I would like the idea if Otis's loving heart could make life better for other loved and loving pets out there. But I'm not in that position, so I can only *think* it, not know it.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Glad the blood work is clear. I understand your hesitancy on the heart. Even with all the necropsies I have done on assorted animals, I still would have a hard time saying yes to that with my kids

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Glad to hear the news is good so far. I am an organ donor. Although it seems hard to do, I would give my girls heart if it could help other dogs.

You will always have Wes's "heart." But only you can make that decision. You need to be okay with the decision.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts