Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would introduce my "new" family member. His name is Guinness and he is 6 months old (may 5th). Life with a lab has been interesting so far and we have been getting lots of great ideas from the posts on here! We are not used to having a puppy in the house as our last dog was PTS in October at the ripe old age of 14. We adopted him at 1 1/2 so missed all this fun baby stuff. Right now our only real challenge other than keeping Guinness out of the back yard pond, protecting ourselves during butt tucking episodes and muddy footprints all over the house, is that he will NOT leave our cats alone. Chase, chase, chase! Our male cat manages a hasty retreat most every time, our female who loved our last dog is trying to make friends although when a 50lb. lab is on top of you with your neck in his mouth - it's kind of hard! He has never really hurt her, although just from his sheer size I am afraid he will. If anyone has any suggestions I would sure appreciate it! (BTW our cats do not have claw, therefore no natural defense!)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!! Your pup is adorable!!

Has he been to any puppy classes yet? The "leave it" command is an important one. I know other, more experienced, labby owners will be along with other suggestions. You need to correct the behavior as it happens, otherwise he will not know what you expect of him. When we got Haylee, we had two cats. We would keep a leash on her in the house and when she would start to go after the cats, we would hold her steady on the leash and tell her to "leave it" and put her into a "sit stay". When she complied, we made a big deal and she got a tasty treat. It took some time, but she eventually got it. Also, our cats do have claws, and they did put her in her place from time to time. This is a situation which takes time and patience, but it can be done. Consistency and repitition. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Welcome and looking forward to seeing pictures of your furkids.

I am no help with the cats as we are allergic so no kitties in our family. But I do agree the leave it command is a wonderful thing useful in many situations including investigating the desert tortoises in our back yard. I don't think the poor guy knew what hit him the first time she saw one. Now she just goes and bumps them with her nose but knows she cannot roll them over or pick them up.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Welcome and I thought I would share this pic with you. Kitty should be fine and as a disclaimer nobody in this pic was traumatized.
This is Dakota laying on Mert kitty

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Teach your pup the " leave it" command and apply it to the cats.
I can't tell you how invaluable the leave it command is and how many times you will use it!

·
Registered
745 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
Welcome to the forums!

Teach your pup the " leave it" command and apply it to the cats.
I can't tell you how invaluable the leave it command is and how many times you will use it!
+1. The "leave it" command is used daily at our house and sure helps keep a lab out of trouble. ;D

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with "leave it." That command could very well save your dog's life some day! I know it has been extremely to good use when I have dropped things on the floor that were dangerous - pills, chopped onion, grapes, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there and welcome! I have had Ranger for almost 3 months now. He turned 5 months on Sunday. He STILL chases the cats, chews on them etc! I have taught him the leave it command and it works well. But, the cats are just too much fun for him to leave alone. He is getting better. But, we still have a long way ahead of us. My cats still have claws and sometimes puts him in his place. But, not always. There is one cat that is very vocal. He was trying to watch out the patio door window and Ranger wouldn't leave him alone. I just had to walk in the room and Ranger backed off and looked at me like OH NO! Busted! LOL So, he knows. He just can't resist ;D Just be patient and consistent. Good luck with your pup! They are a lot of fun! Tina

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
guinnysmom said:
Right now our only real challenge other than keeping Guinness out of the back yard pond
LMAO!!!!! Sorry. I had to laugh. Welcome...and good luck with that one. :) Actually, once you get him with a fairly reliable recall, you can teach him the wait command. I have a pool that is very tempting for my boy Rider. He knows he's not allowed in until we are out there and his duck has been brought out.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Welcome; great to have you & Guinness on the board.
What a cutie!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dani said:
guinnysmom said:
Right now our only real challenge other than keeping Guinness out of the back yard pond
I have a pool that is very tempting for my boy Rider. He knows he's not allowed in until we are out there and his duck has been brought out.
Our pond is 2 ft by 4 feet - hardly big enough for a good swim, but enough just to make a mess of things - especially when he heads to the kids sandbox for some digging when he's finished. Last weekend my husband said he looked like a powdered doughnut!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the thoughts and welcome's. Guinness does know leave it but like TinasZoo said - kittys are just too tempting. We'll keep working on it, and hopefully the cats will come out with all their limbs and ears!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts