Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 29 dogs in our program and nearly half of those are currently boarding due to lack of foster homes. The vet and boarding bills are climbing to new heights and still the dogs just keep coming.

The other local groups have even pitched in to help and we’re just not making enough of a dent. Golden Retriever Rescue is fostering 3 lab puppies for us and last week the other Houston Lab Rescue groups pulled 2 gorgeous yellow males that we were struggling to squeeze into our program. So, last week we saved 2 but 30-plus others were not so lucky.

This week isn’t looking any better. Today’s plea for help includes this guy and this girl and a few lab puppies. I haven't even looked at the lists from the other shelters yet. I don't know if I have the stomach for it today, knowing that we can't save them. Today is one of those days when you know their faces will dance thru your dreams all night long.

And of course the shelter needs to know in the next few hours who we can save - their time is up today and they need the space for the unending flow of labs coming in the door.

So, now the hard part...who to save, who to save?

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
:'( :'( That's so sad....so tragic... I just wish they all could be saved, or better off they wouldn't be there in the first place if they had come to responsible owners. :mad: :'(

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Oh God, Dina. :'(

I'm still working on trying to get some foster and donation possibilities. Meantime I'm just heartsick.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm so sorry Dina it's so sad. Bless you for all that you do I'll say a little prayer for those waiting and for more help for you and the other rescues out there.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Wooops...momentary lack of reason...

Sorry Dina. Your program is much more than what we could handle here...although there are just about that many dogs in Michigan that need help. :(

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes I leave it up to fate.

The animal control officer for the black male offered to drive the dog over to one of our vet clinics and the shelter volunteer offered to payy $100.00 toward his care so this guys is saved due to the angels that are on his side.

I was hoping that the yellow female would be just as lucky. I have a clinic that will take her for the next few days while I figure something out but our usual drivers aren't available and then there's that nasty funding issue again.

I must admit - we really shouldn't take in any more dogs right now. It's just not the responsible thing to do for the group. But those pictures keep parading thru my email round the clock and it's hard to turn away once you've seen their faces.

We're at that crucial point where we'll have to stop in-take for a while until we can get enough dogs adopted and rotate those that are boarding into foster homes and hopefully build up our funds during this time as well.

Well, that's just life I guess. This sweet black male is one lucky fellow, he'll be the last one for a while.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The yellow girl is haunting me. I have two of my own..maybe that's it. Can I donate some money to help her? I don't have a lot but I can't stretch a few pennies on my budget to see she gets help.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I feel so bad...would a contribution help in any way? I can't do it all the time or for everyone..but you sound at your wits end. Let me know if it will help.
Jackie

Barron Bunch said:
We have 29 dogs in our program and nearly half of those are currently boarding due to lack of foster homes. The vet and boarding bills are climbing to new heights and still the dogs just keep coming.

The other local groups have even pitched in to help and we’re just not making enough of a dent. Golden Retriever Rescue is fostering 3 lab puppies for us and last week the other Houston Lab Rescue groups pulled 2 gorgeous yellow males that we were struggling to squeeze into our program. So, last week we saved 2 but 30-plus others were not so lucky.

This week isn’t looking any better. Today’s plea for help includes this guy and this girl and a few lab puppies. I haven't even looked at the lists from the other shelters yet. I don't know if I have the stomach for it today, knowing that we can't save them. Today is one of those days when you know their faces will dance thru your dreams all night long.

And of course the shelter needs to know in the next few hours who we can save - their time is up today and they need the space for the unending flow of labs coming in the door.

So, now the hard part...who to save, who to save?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Anywhere we can give money to support boarding the yellow girl for a day? Do you all have a paypal donations acount or anything?

·
Registered
459 Posts
The more times I read things like this, I want to take in a foster or a rescue for our second dog. I don't think we could keep another lab indoors right now but we can provide a fenced in yard, plenty of food, and lots of love!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh gosh, this just breaks my heart. I would love to help out, at this point it will have to be financially as I have three trips planned in the next month. In June I would like an addition to my family (me and my yellow lab Lucy) and am considering a rescue.

But most importantly, how to help with the immediate needs of your organization.
Is donating on your website the right way to do this? For anyone else who has offer to contribute finanically, the website link is http://www.txlabrescue.org/donations.php. I also found this invaluable information on the donation page.

$25 Bronze Leash Supporter
Will pay for Exam & shots OR One week of boarding
$50 Silver Leash Supporter
Will pay for Exam & shots OR one Spay/Neuter
$100 Gold Leash Supporter
Will pay for Exam, Shots AND One Spay/Neuter
$250 Platinum Leash Supporter
Will pay for one heartworm treatment

I hope you don't mind me taking the initiative to put that there?! Not sure if that violates any forum rules or not... I hope not!

Quick question, is it that your area has a TON of labrador rescues? Or is it that way everywhere?! I hate to sound naive, but I guess I am... so I'll just come out and say what I am thinking.... a lot of time I assume that the shelter dogs are puppies of an accidental pregnancy and/or mixed breeding. After reading some of the information about the dogs in your rescue, it seems that the dogs are pure bred. I think I assumed that rescue labs were pure bred, but I am shocked at the volume of labradors that you have in your care, and the volume that don't make it.

So sad. Anyways, I am going to donate now. I hope that my contribution can help ease your organization a bit.

EDIT: I just tried to do a cash donation via the website, but it didn't populate my cart. I was able add a T-shirt to the cart, so its not entirely broken, but it wouldn't let me do a cash donation. You can PM me when it is fixed and I'll donate then. Or, maybe I'll round up my used collars and send them with a check....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our donations page is working again. Yeah!!!!

You may also send a chaeck made out to STLRR to
STLRR
5535 Memorial Dr
Ste F, Box # 554
Houston, TX 77007

Thanks for all your help!!!

We were able to save both of these dogs. The good news so far is that the black male is HW negative - that rarely happens - most of our dogs enter the program HW pos, so we're ecstatic. The bad news is that our board has decided to stop in-take for a while unless a financial sponsor is rcvd for each new dog. This is tragic because I've already rcvd info on 5 wonderful dogs that will be out of time in the next 48 hours. :'(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts