Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in yesterday at 12:15 which is a miracle itself. Definatley a pinched nerve. I am scheduled for an MRI next Wednesday and they are reccomending Physical Therapy. They gave me muscle relazers and pain meds. I can't drive with either so I am working from today to try to get some relief. I bought one of those gel ice packs and it has helped. You would think heat would be good but it actually makes it worse. This hurts like an SOB! I dread getting up in the morning because i know what it is going to feel like.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I am glad you have some meds to help. I am so sorry that it's so bad. The last time I had a pinched nerve it was at the side of my neck and it was excrutiating!!! I couldn't move my head or anything.

Really hope it gets better soon (hugs)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm on day 3.. i'm not sure what it is.. i figure pulled muscle in my back.. but man.. sleeping is a *****.. you wake up every single time you move! *zzzzz*

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm glad you go in to see the doctor so quick, Pam. I hope the PT works and you get some relief soon.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. The muscle relaxers are my new best friend. I am working from home today so I could take one because I can't drive with those or the pain meds. I have first PT appt next Wed morning. I don't know how I am going to do all of this and have to pick Makenna up from school too.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Princess Zoe, I went through something similar for 4 months last spring & summer -- severe pain in my left lower back. It hurt standing, even more sitting, somewhat less stretched out in bed.

My internist referred me to physical therapy but 6 weeks there gave little improvement. X-rays and a MRI showed some spinal deterioration consistent with aging. That was causing a pinched nerve which in turn created a muscle spasm ---> pain. Taking the recommended Ibuprofen and other Rx pain relief meds helped very little, if any.

I cancelled plans for my annual pilgrimage to a Vermont reunion to see family and friends.

Finally my physician referred me to a pain center. The MD there suggested I switch from ibuprofen to Naproxen sodium (Aleve is one brand, I used cheaper generics) and also fitted me with a portable electrical stim device (battery powered, the control unit is no larger than a deck of cards and can be worn on a belt, wires lead from it to stick-on electrodes near the painful spot) with an adjustable intensity of a rapid off-on slight shock that blocks the offending pain. (It doesn't take very long to find that preferred level of mildly unpleasant shock which cancels a far more unpleasant level of back pain.)

Both did wonders. The Naproxen was a great relief and what little pain was left over from that, the stim unit easily conquered. I wore the stim unit for about 10 days and took the N.s. for about a month.

Pain gone. :D

Several times since then I've used the N.s. as needed for a couple days.

The pain Dr. said some people respond quite well to the Ibuprofen while some much better to the Naproxen.

Later, a fellow choir member was complaining about his lower back pain and he was somewhat bent over. I suggested the N.s.; he used it and got good relief and has several times since.

Causes of back pain very a great deal. Don't know if any of these experiences might apply to you but I pass it on in hopes it could be useful.

Best wishes for getting relief SOON!!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bob. The Ibuprofen seems to work some but the muscle relaxers are better. I have Percocet too which really takes the edge off. I feel better today but when I work up I could hardly move. I can't wait till this is over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a pinched nerve in my neck about a year ago...most painful thing I have ever been through - bar none!! I hated waking up as well...felt like every muscle and fibre in my neck and shoulder were absolutely on fire! :eek: I found great relief from an osteopath. Very gentle manipulation (almost so gentle I thought at first she was doing nothing) but went home after ONE visit and felt some relief. Better after every visit. It was amazing. The pain meds and muscle relaxers got me through the night etc. but I didn't have true relief until I went to the osteopath.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Pam, I often get a pinched sciatic nerve because of deteriorating disks in my lower back. For the first week or so, cold will help the inflamed muscles to calm down and ease the pain. After that, you can alternate heat and cold. I also use either Aleve or Bayer Extra-Strength/Back Pain Aspirin 500 mg to help with the pain and inflammation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts