Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At noon today, my computer at work shut down...
half the lights on our floor of the office went off. The other half were on, or either blinking very quickly...

Air conditioning went off.

Shortly after that, the emergency alert went off..."There has been an emergency reported in the building. Evacuate the building now...do not use the elevators. Everyone should meet at Iolani Palace (2 blocks away!)"

In fire drills, they have us meet outside the building, not on the palace grounds. :eek:

someone smelled smoke. :eek: (Our office is on the 21-23rd floors of a 30 floor building)

Normally, everyone is very lackadaisical (sp?) and people will continue working; however, when the lights continued flashing, people were grabbing the bags, wallets, keys, and rushed to the stairs. I think after Monday's incident, noone could be sure if it was a false alarm or not.

Thousands of people poured out of the building. We were then instructed that there was no need to go to the palace, so we all gathered in the park outside the building, for about an hour.

We were then told that there was an electrical problem on the 26th floor (thus the smoke smell) and that they did not know when full power would be restored.

our firm let everyone go home.

The funny (hahaha) thing was when everyone was evacuating, I HAD to use the bathroom!! I had an upset stomach and I was sooo panicking that something was going to happen while I was in there. LOL

oh. and I have leftover lunch sitting in my lunch bag under my desk. I can imagine what that's going to smell like on Monday. :-\ :-X :-X I'll just dump the tupperware.

so...in a nutshell, my afternoon.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Yikes Linda!! That's scary!

You definitely sound like you need a glass of wine!! :D

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
henrysmom said:
Yikes Linda!! That's scary!

You definitely sound like you need a glass of wine!! :D
Had one ... and then more.
Zoe & I sure had a fun Friday...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Well, that's one way to get a day off!

Glad there was nothing too serious wrong and that you enjoyed the day with Zoe!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Yikes scary. Yes after Monday I am sure many of you are a tad uneasy.

Hope you have a good weekend after that fright.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Its good to know that people took it seriously and got out of there.

I hope you enjoyed being off a few hours early...as for your lunch? I think I'd dump that tupperware too lol

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
That's smart to direct everyone to meet at a certain place two blocks away.

We are directed to assemble in the courtyard and east parking lot. During drills I often wonder what damage people would suffer should there be an explosion. Lots of steel and glass make up our building.

A handful of us always wander off across the street to the smoke corner in the 'hood. Just in case, you see. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts