Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inquired about adopting a 5 year old female lab from a woman on Kijiji ... not the greatest place to get a dog, but oh man, there are so many people getting rid of their labs; most 1-2 years old. Not that there are hundreds or anything listed, but there were several. It breaks my heart.

Anyway, I thought, oh a 5 year old ... great age ... settled for the most part (settled-ish LOL). Owners are moving and for one reason or another can't take her with them.

Everything looked good, but she's not good with cats (we have two). Thankfully (hopefully thankfully) someone is taking a look at her on the weekend.

Probably better this way anyway. It wasn't meant to be and I think hubby would have a cow if I showed up at home with another dog. LOL

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've seen so many ads for people getting rid of young labs :( So sad. I work at a kennel, and someone just recently got rid of their labby boy, he was only 1 or 2. :( They seemed so relieved about it, and from what I've seen of him, he was a good boy for how young he was. I'd think their neurotic border collie would drive them crazy before the lab.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
You are right. If she wasn't good with cats there may have been problems. I am like you. I feel bad for the shelter dogs. I wish they all could have good homes like ours do. I especially feel bad for the seniors.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
How about a three year old choco? ;) He's a real sweety!

Rylye has been with me since sunday, good with cats (though I cannot say that first hand, but he apparently comes from a home iwth cats) and good with other dogs (LOOOOVES to play)

Hopeful Hearts - Dog Rescue Ontario

him playing with Rocky
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Dryfo/?action=view&current=IMG_0036.flv

ETA: ok that video was an old one of Rocky fetching LOL! oops. this is the two boys playing
MVI_0846.flv video by Dryfo - Photobucket

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a three year old choco? ;) He's a real sweety!

Rylye has been with me since sunday, good with cats (though I cannot say that first hand, but he apparently comes from a home iwth cats) and good with other dogs (LOOOOVES to play)

Hopeful Hearts - Dog Rescue Ontario

him playing with Rocky
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Dryfo/?action=view&current=IMG_0036.flv
Oh he's CUTE. Unfortunately I know dh won't be on board at this point in time ... especially since Dozer is going through a Idontwannadowhatyoutellmetodo phase. LOL

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
haha I was just teasing ;) I totally understand being happy with one dog for the moment (big reason I foster and have only one of my own up until now!) :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where in Ontario is that rescue located?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Would be Ottawa area.

Up til now, Tanya? Hmmmmm...?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I hope the labby gets a new, better family this weekend!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
The rescue, Hopeful Hearts, is in Ottawa (and some fosters are likely accross the bridge in Quebec) but do cover most of Eastern Ontario/Quebec (I guess that would be western Quebec??) - we have travelled to do home visits (I myself have even gone an hour and a half for one!), and have contacts in other regions to do home visits and such so it is possible to do somewhat longer distance placements if someone finds a dog they are interested in :)

Oh and i edited my other post, watched the video and saw it was an old one of Rocky fetching! oops. added the right video.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts