Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas shopping is done, aside from a few groceries, and not a credit card used. Not even one in my wallet anymore. It was much easier not to overspend when my budget was all in one separate bank account, so I could see where I was at any time and adjust my "holiday cheer" accordingly.

*pats self on back*

Since paying off the cards, the one we kept is for emergency use only. And contrary to my rationalization, a boot sale is not really an emergency.

Good girl, T.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
congrats, that's great!

I got rid of my credit cards a couple years ago. I have one that is used solely for emergencies or to make hotel reservations. And it is paid off immediately.

Mine was a Cash Christmas as well, and I baked for the majority of my gifts this year.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not like you! GRR! Even b4 I got to the how it was paid for - I did not like you! You are done Christmas shopping? GRR!
Yup. I power-shopped, lol. I left Steve in charge of the little things like batteries, CF cards, and gift cards, etc. I made a list and stuck to it as closely as possible, and got it done in 2 days.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good for you!!! You should be proud of yourself!
Thanks. You know, I actually am, seriously. In years past, I had always though "what's a little extra debt? we are carrying some anyway." But it is a big deal, if you can't pay your balance in full when the bill comes due. After getting rid of our debt, there is precious little that will make me use a credit card for anything that I don't have enough cash for. We scaled back this year, and we aren't gifting with siblings, just parents & kids, which made it easier to stick to my "cash diet". Slowly re-training my brain, and I haven't felt this good going into Christmas season in quite some time, and I know i won't have that heavy cloud when it's over, or hide from the mailman, lol.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
All cash Christmas here too (for the last 4 years), but I am not done shopping yet. I hope to get the last few gifts tomorrow. It does feel good to be able to open the mail without a sick feeling in your stomach.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Great work! Especially on being done! I'm finished with my gifts, but told my Mom I'd go out with her tomorrow and help her finish her shopping.

John and I have some credit cards that we use to save airline miles since we're so spread out from his family and my Grandma, but they are paid in full each month. I usually only use my debit card though, so he can't see what I bought him :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Isn't it a relief? We've been doing all cash Christmases for a few years now. We stick to a very strict Christmas budget, which helps to curb the overspending on impulse purchases, which I can be very guilty of for my kids. lol

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I only deal in cash now all year round, not just christmas and you are right, it is a great feeling that we are all done and...still in credit at the bank!

I don't have any cc's now either, just a pre-pay one I can load up with cash and use for online purchases.

Being in control of the finances is a good feeling for sure :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.