Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackie understands my frustration. Let's just say I'm a rotten horse owner who at this point wonders if she should own one. :confused:

The farrier came out today. We tried a new farrier since the old one did a horrible job last time. All the horses' hooves were splitting and they were way back on their heels from the last trim.

I talked a bit with the farrier after he trimmed Toby's feet, asking him about supplements, etc., things I could do to keep his hooves strong.

He said he could see in the hooves that the horse has been getting better nutrition. I was like, "oh? How long would you say this has been going on?"

"About six months or so."

I've owned him for seven months. :)

I was wondering if the hoof supplement has been helping or if I've just been throwing my money away, but I guess it has been helping.

It might be the only thing I'm doing right. :cool:

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the only bit of good news I got today. I got shot down for everything today. :(

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think you are the best thing that has ever happened to Toby, and it's obvious from the pictures you share that he loves you. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
That was the only bit of good news I got today. I got shot down for everything today. :(
What did you get shot down for? :confused:

Good news about the hooves. Some horses just need a little more hoof help than others. (Paul is one of the 'more help' guys too.)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Laura, Bonnie is hypercritical and I certainly don't think she's right about everything. The Arab head? ;) You are doing great with Toby, he looks wonderful, and considering his young age and lack of attention from his previous owner, I'd say you've done wonders with him.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My halter is wrong, my lead ropes are wrong, my bits are wrong, my headstalls are wrong....the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jackie. I'm not sure why it all got to me today, but it did.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the thing Nancy. She doesn't charge me board. He's there for free as long as I take care of her horses too. I can't beat that price.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Yeah, but if you're no longer able to enjoy your time with Toby, free is too high a price.

Maybe there are other similar situations out there.. start asking around. Maybe the fairrier knows someone that could use another set of hands?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
The problem with "for free" is it often comes with "other" strings attached, like taking a lot of crap from the barn owner. You might want to look for alternative places to keep him.

Just a tip, if you want to grow feet really fast, feed alfalfa hay. It really puts on the growth quickly. I'm not a big supplement person, even my blacksmith of 23 years isn't keen on them. I don't think they hurt anything, but like you, I wonder if it's money well spent. Good sound nutrition is about the best you can do. Most horses tolerate alfalfa hay well, it's higher protein content really makes feet and coat bloom.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They get alfalfa in the winter when the pasture is frozen over. It does give him loose stools once in awhile, but I expected it after the crap he was being fed.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
My halter is wrong, my lead ropes are wrong, my bits are wrong, my headstalls are wrong....the list goes on and on.
I'm confused, were you talking to my brother?;)

Good job on the hooves!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My one horse was fed alfalfa practically his entire life and he still has crappy feet. To this day he cannot be totally barefoot. Both vet and farrier called him genetically challenged.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not yet, but I think I'm going to try tomorrow. The leg has gone down to just one lump.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Is Bonnie a trainer? Or a vet? If not, then I would smile, nod and go on with whatever you are doing.
I had a horse that had very sensitive feet. Big, strong 16+ hand horse. With very, very sensitive tootsies. We supplemented and also used corona on his hooves--like maybe once every other month. You can over use corona. He was sound the entire time we owned him--which is more than I can say about his previous owner.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts