Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our yearly evaluations in March and usually get our raise in April. This year they revamped the process so you could get a "range" of raises from 2 - 5%. We have several yearly goals and it isn't easy to "excell". So our site director just came over and told us that the hospital couldn't afford to give us our whole raise, and we would be getting half of whatever we were supposed to get :( So my 3.5% is now 1.75%. SU hasn't had a raise in 3 years and our health care detuctible raised to $4000 for the year. I just keep repeating - "at least I have a job, at least I have a job......."

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Raise? Are you serious? In this economy? Be happy with what you got, most people aren't getting anything! :)

Our company hasn't done them in 2 years.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm sorry. It sucks to not get what you expected - in this economy or not.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I didn't mean for that to come out snotty, sorry! :)

Next year will be better!!!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Pat... sorry to hear about the reduction in your raise.

It really sucks, but like you said, you are fortunate to still be employed. There are so many people who are either not getting raises at all, have been laid off or worse yet been terminated all together.

My annual review comes up in two (2) weeks, so I am waiting to see what, if anything, I might get. Knowing the current financial situation, I'll be happy if I stay employed. I'll adjust if there is not raise.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We were told last month that everyone is taking a 5% pay CUT. *sigh*

Lucy

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
We are in the same boat.

My company doesn't give out raises just because, but I only live 1.5 miles away so I take that into account when I want to whine about not getting a raise. Also, we get free lunch every so often and the atmosphere around here is pretty easy going.

My husband is down to about 20 hours a week but he is still employed and next week he could be up to 40, we never know. Very frustrating but we still have jobs, we still have jobs, we still have jobs!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Pat, that so stinks!

I'm getting really tired of the "at least I have a job" mantra. I think everyone is beginning to feel that companies are totally SCREWING us now.

We get no raises, no Christmas bonus, and are being made to take furlough days now. I'm having trouble paying all the bills by the end of the month. I know many of you are in the same position.

The madness needs to stop. There will be no boost of the economy if none of us can afford to spend anything!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Pat, that so stinks!

I'm getting really tired of the "at least I have a job" mantra. I think everyone is beginning to feel that companies are totally SCREWING us now.

We get no raises, no Christmas bonus, and are being made to take furlough days now. I'm having trouble paying all the bills by the end of the month. I know many of you are in the same position.

The madness needs to stop. There will be no boost of the economy if none of us can afford to spend anything!!
On top of laying 9 people off, my former company has also: cut all raises until further notice, stopped the 'floating holiday' between Christmas and New Year's, cut the manager's salaries by 10%, are not allowing employees to accrue more than 80 hours of vacation/sick time, stopped all overtime, and taken several other cost-cutting measures. They have been very hard-hit by the auto industry slowdown, in addition to several of our larger customers filing bankruptcy. They have less than 30% of their usual sales booked for this year, where they were anticipating 50%.

It is not that companies are trying to screw people, they are simply trying to keep the company together.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I hear ya. I think it's worse when they tell you one thing and then chnage it. If only they could have said 1.75 from the get-go, it may not have stung so much!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
:(
it does suck
smaller raises, pay cuts, cut back hours, layoffs

the whole thing just blows

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It IS a viscious cycle - the less people have to spend, the more people get layed off. I work in health-care, which isn't the first business to go, but people are cutting everywhere and non-essential medical things are cut, then the hospitals have to cover alot more people who can't pay at all, and so on and so on. Our director talked to us (we worked for several years together in the same clinic) and said that they had a choice to lay people off, cut pay raises, or give full payraises and "hope for the best". This is probably as good a choice as any. SU works in higher ed, and his place of employment has been struggling for years. He most likely wouldn't lose his job unless the whole place goes under, but that's not completely unlikely.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
cut all raises until further notice, cut the manager's salaries by 10%, are not allowing employees to accrue more than 80 hours of vacation/sick time, stopped all overtime, and taken several other cost-cutting measures.
My company is doing this too. plus there is a rumour of 8% workforce layoff coming up... that's around 600 jobs! :confused: :( :eek: I really hope I'm not one of them with this wedding happening next year...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I feel your pain. The hospital system I work for instituted 2% max raises this year. Plus they cut our time off in my seniority range that was 3 days. We use to have between 2 to 6 weeks 100% salary short term disability no full salary so it is 2/3 salary and mandatory use of time off to make up the other 1/3 plus a weeks waiting.

At least they held health care copays the same and cost only went up $6 a month.

The real kicker is starting next week we move into one of the hospitals we closed (built a brand new one 5 miles away) and they have made it into a ND corporate center newly remodel but it is twice as far from home so I will now commute at least 1 1/2 hours per day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts